Coaches No ambition

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

lineesian

Coach
Gymnast
I have come in as a second coach to a group of 9-13 year old girls. They are level 4 in South Africa which is our first optional level. There is a really bad attitude in the group as a whole. They have no ambition whatsoever. They all have really good potential. I can tell them to point their toes and straighten their legs until I am blue in the face but until they decide nothing is going to change. Any tips on how I can get them to want to work harder?

It has to come from within themselves. Some girls develop the motivation after scoring poorly in competition. Others just all of a sudden "get it", but those just there for fun never get it.

I was in a very similar situation a few months ago, still there but there have been some improvements, and it's tough. I think so many things can create this atmosphere in a group of kids- lack of previous success, the environment of the gym, prior coaching styles, unsure what to do with someone new/different, following cues from teammates, and sometimes they really just flat out don't want to be there. And none of those things can be fixed quickly, and some cannot be fixed at all. Keep working to earn their trust- tell them that you see potential in them, it's possible they haven't heard that before and are working on the assumption that they just aren't that good and don't see a point in working hard.
My tactic was to really focus in on the kids who did show at least some degree of respect and receptivity to what I was doing, no matter how small, and earn their trust. That's not to say I ignored the other kids, but I tried not to let them get the best of me when my corrections went ignored or they continued to act disrespectfully. Instead I focused on the successes of those who were trying, even if only a little, and hoped that their success and progress would be enough to win over some of the other girls. Sometimes it only takes one to buy in and see that you really do want what's best for them and only trying to help make them better to convince others to buy in as well. But it took a lot of time, and I'm still not there.
You're in a tough place, and you probably won't win them all over, but aim for the small successes. Best wishes!

I was in a very similar situation a few months ago, still there but there have been some improvements, and it's tough. I think so many things can create this atmosphere in a group of kids- lack of previous success, the environment of the gym, prior coaching styles, unsure what to do with someone new/different, following cues from teammates, and sometimes they really just flat out don't want to be there. And none of those things can be fixed quickly, and some cannot be fixed at all. Keep working to earn their trust- tell them that you see potential in them, it's possible they haven't heard that before and are working on the assumption that they just aren't that good and don't see a point in working hard.
My tactic was to really focus in on the kids who did show at least some degree of respect and receptivity to what I was doing, no matter how small, and earn their trust. That's not to say I ignored the other kids, but I tried not to let them get the best of me when my corrections went ignored or they continued to act disrespectfully. Instead I focused on the successes of those who were trying, even if only a little, and hoped that their success and progress would be enough to win over some of the other girls. Sometimes it only takes one to buy in and see that you really do want what's best for them and only trying to help make them better to convince others to buy in as well. But it took a lot of time, and I'm still not there.
You're in a tough place, and you probably won't win them all over, but aim for the small successes. Best wishes!
Thanks so much!! I have been asking them to set personal goals and that it has to come from them. But as you say baby steps. A lot of our other coaches believe that they need to shout to get a response but I honestly don't believe that it is necessary, if we as coaches are not building these kids up then what is the point.

Thanks so much!! I have been asking them to set personal goals and that it has to come from them. But as you say baby steps. A lot of our other coaches believe that they need to shout to get a response but I honestly don't believe that it is necessary, if we as coaches are not building these kids up then what is the point.
If you weren't in another country I would think we were at the same gym. I've realized in my present situation that kids who have grown up in the gym being shouted at perform when they are being shouted at. That's it. They work hard to avoid consequences. When the consequence of being shouted at isn't present, they really don't see the incentive to work. So different from kids who learn to work hard to experience personal success, meet goals, and improve without the fear of some consequence (like being yelled at) constantly hanging over their heads.

first you need to split them up. Ask them how their behavior to going to help them to succeed. Start there. Then I would focus really hard on prefect basics, make them pass assignments before moving on. those that don't pass will get bored after a few weeks and either pass or go do some other sport.

It has to come from within themselves. Some girls develop the motivation after scoring poorly in competition. Others just all of a sudden "get it", but those just there for fun never get it.
Me thinks thats what is happening now... and it ain't workin! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back