WAG No dominant leg on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

azara

Coach
Gymnast
Hi Chalkbucketers!

I have a somewhat different problem that somebody here may have experience with. I was trained as a figure skater, so somehow I've learned to do all of my leaps like split jumps and so forth leading from my left leg (because in skating, you take off from your left leg). The only way I know how to do split leaps on the beam (and on the floor, but that doesn't matter so much) is leading with my left leg forward; BUT, I have to have my right leg in front of my left as this is my dominant gymnastics leg. This is a bit of a problem, and makes split leaps a lot more difficult, so I end up having to choose starting from my left leg, or jumping on my right leg. Both feel horrible. It doesn't matter when I do split leaps because you take a step first and that's perfect to me - start right leg, step to left leg, leap, land with left leg forward.

What would you recommend? Learn to leap on my right leg? Learn to lead with my left leg? Don't do anything? Only do split leaps, not split jumps (not that that's really possible)?

Note I'm a rec gymnast so I'm not going to the Olympics or anything, but I wouldn't mind moving a little higher up the food chain than lvl 3.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks!

I have the same problem, I was taught to do leaps and turns lefty when I did dance but I tumble righty. My coach and I came to the decision that being my left leaps and turns are much better, that it was worth it to just leave it as is. It's definitely not ideal to do skills on different legs but in your case I think it would be best to use whatever leg feels right. Being you're not competing compulsory routines you should be fine. With those routines it's tricky to switch legs on skills as you have to possibly add steps in. I do know that you don't want to try relearn leaps etc on your other leg! I've tried that and it was almost impossible for me. I hope this helps you! Please note that I'm not a coach though.

Thank you, nice to see that I'm not alone :D

I can turn on both legs equally well. Except, on my right leg, I have to turn backwards. I find that easier than going forwards on my left...

We're a weird bunch, us teenage gymnasts...

I can turn on both legs equally well. Except, on my right leg, I have to turn backwards. I find that easier than going forwards on my left...

I'm not a coach, but just wanted to let you know you are not alone! Puma Jr has all sorts of righty/lefty issues...Her coaches have decided to just leave it (we changed gyms 9 months ago) but I would definitely consult your coaches. And as a parent of a young gymnast, I LOVE the "weird bunch" teenage gymnasts. It's great to hear a gymnast's perspective. Many a teen gymnast on CB have helped me out :) Good luck!!!

Shouldn't be a problem for a figure skater. Think of a waltz jump or an axel. You are jumping off of your left leg, twisting in the air, and landing on your right (assuming you're a rightie). A split leap is exactly the same except you don't twist in the middle.

If you're doing a right leg split jump, you take off from your left leg. So you still get to use your strong jumpy left leg muscles from figure skating.

I thought I was a pretty strange gymnast with the doing skills on different legs until I came on the CB and found others had the same problem too! One of my teammates also does this.

Shouldn't be a problem for a figure skater. Think of a waltz jump or an axel. You are jumping off of your left leg, twisting in the air, and landing on your right (assuming you're a rightie). A split leap is exactly the same except you don't twist in the middle.

If you're doing a right leg split jump, you take off from your left leg. So you still get to use your strong jumpy left leg muscles from figure skating.

Thank you. Split leaps are great for me because you're right, it's just like a non-twisting jump. The problem with split jumps is that I put my left leg forwards for those, too. So I'm taking off right leg in front, but then left leg forwards in the air.

"Strong jumpy left leg muscles" haha, I love that phrase.

It's great to see this is a pretty common issue!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back