Parents No word on meets yet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We are to receive the meet schedule this coming week, which is normal timing for us. But we were told recently that it will be a shortened season. We were also just told that the gym will not be ordering longsleeve Leo’s this year (2nd and final year for the Leo). Any gymnast who does not already have the long sleeve Leo will wear a team tank Leo instead.

They've had mini camps at least in Texas and AZ and also offered zoom verifications. I believe they ramped up in case USAG sends a team to Japan in 2020.

We have a very tentative meet schedule here on Long Island in NY. All small, local meets and one in a neighboring state that is a pretty good one, but not huge. No registration for any yet and who knows what will happen. With NY travel/quarantine rules I can't imagine how any family could travel outside of our tri state area, and a few other "allowable" states. I suppose there are some who can quarantine from work and school for 2 weeks, but not here.

We have a very tentative meet schedule here on Long Island in NY. All small, local meets and one in a neighboring state that is a pretty good one, but not huge. No registration for any yet and who knows what will happen. With NY travel/quarantine rules I can't imagine how any family could travel outside of our tri state area, and a few other "allowable" states. I suppose there are some who can quarantine from work and school for 2 weeks, but not here.
We are in NYC and haven’t been told a thing. We usually attend at least some of the Long Island meets.

For sure. In NJ, we aren't traveling outside the state. We can't handle a 14 day quarantine to attend a meet or even anything else. Too much going on with school, work, etc.

We won't get a meet schedule for at least another month. Whether or not we even HAVE a season is dependent on how the Middle School season goes. Only 1 Middle school "league" competes gymnastics in the fall season. That league includes 4 school districts. The judges are going to see how it goes and if the meets can go off without a "Covid" hitch, then the judges will give the go ahead for high school, club, and YMCA meets.
The earliest we will compete is mid to late January. It will be a shorter season (probably 4 regular season meets) with fewer teams (at least 2 of the YMCAs we face have dropped their team programs ... and possibly all gymnastics). Our District Championship Meet would be pushed back a month to April (for Levels 4+ and Xcel). The Regional (aka our state plus a few Ys from a bordering state) Championship Meet (for Levels 4+ and Xcel) would probably be 2-3 weeks later. Level 3 Districts would be in May (since they aren't eligible for Regionals). Nationals should be in June, but we have no info about that yet.

Plus about waiting is it gives last year's L4s more time to get their L5 skills. We REALLY would prefer they all go to L5 this season so they can move to L6 instead of doing the "new" L5 after the routines change. They won't even start learning the L5 routines until November. It also gives us a chance to potentially add more L3s from the rec program.

Wondering if any of you whose kids have been back at gym for a few months already DON'T have meet scheduled or any word on meets yet. We've been back since mid-May and have not heard a word about whether the gym is planning to forego the season or do some in-state and drivable meets. They have a lot on their plate right now (more than COVID) so I don't want to bother the owner/coaches, but man, it is crickets over here.

Any region 8 folks know what meets they'll be going to (assuming meets are held, obviously)? I'm curious what the likely choices will be.
we dont currently have any meets that are 100% gonna be done, but we do have possible meets starting in january!

We're in the Boston area, level 6-10. We've had an unofficial in-gym meet and one virtual/Zoom sanctioned meet (Shine Bright) in December, another in-gym meet and another virtual meet coming up this month. There are a few in-person meets scheduled for February, but they might end up being virtual, as well, then our gym's meet will be virtual in March.

Also the parent of a senior who's working on a few new skills that he'd dearly love to throw in a meet. First two were canceled. No word yet on late January, but I expect it will be a no go. At this point the only one I'm at all hopeful about is Temple's virtual meet in February. There's no club season this year either. But there will be next year, which I am hoping will be something positive to look forward to for both my gymnasts.

Region 8 here. We had a meet last month in Greenville, SC. It was virtual. We have another one scheduled for the end of January in Cherokee NC and it's face to face.

Lol. So last night at dinner, he asked me if I knew when the grips we ordered last week are due to arrive. "Oh yeah, mom, we are having a virtual meet in two weeks and I'll need time to break them in."

I just hope there is some way to watch! Has anyone whose child has had a virtual meet been able to watch it on zoom? (It would be a teeny tiny silver lining to this whole awful mess if I were able to watch some of his younger teammates' sessions too.)

Lol. So last night at dinner, he asked me if I knew when the grips we ordered last week are due to arrive. "Oh yeah, mom, we are having a virtual meet in two weeks and I'll need time to break them in."

I just hope there is some way to watch! Has anyone whose child has had a virtual meet been able to watch it on zoom? (It would be a teeny tiny silver lining to this whole awful mess if I were able to watch some of his younger teammates' sessions too.)
Too funny! So glad to hear he'll get to participate in a virtual meet. We've had two so far. We were able to watch on zoom for one (which was great). For the other one, which we hosted, we didn't have enough devices to stream both to the judges and to spectators through zoom. So that one we had to watch through our gym's SpotTV and was much more difficult to actually see.

Apparently our next meet is one that will be both in-person and virtual (with our team opting for virtual). I'm glad we'll be virtual. If we lived closer to the meet I think I would be comfortable with it being in person (no spectators allowed and gymnasts must be in masks when not doing warm ups or competing). But, to drive 3 hours and then have to sit in the car during the meet. That would kind of stink.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back