Parents normal not to practice full routine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MUTigerMom

Proud Parent
My daughter is a Level 4 and we are in the middle of competition season. The girls very rarely get to practice their full bar routine and also rarely practice vault at all. It seems like they will get to attempt the full routine connected only a few times the week of the meet. We also only seem to practice vault in the week of the meet (and sometimes only one time that week). This didn't happen at level 3 or 4. Once they had the skills safely, they always had one station at bars that was "routine" run-throughs and practiced vault at least once a week. I have tried asking questions, but get vague answers. Mostly along the lines of, "this is what they need right now." They do compete the full routines at meets with varying levels of success. My daughter has expressed frustration with not getting to practice it together because it makes her anxious about doing it at a meet. I am trying to trust the process, but this doesn't make sense to me. Maybe it is just that I don't know enough about gymnastics. They do practice their floor/beam routines at nearly every practice. (They have a different coach for floor/beam). Anyone have any insights?

If they are focusing on specific things, that could be what they are doing. On non-meet weeks, our L4 and L5 girls do the following:
  1. Kip - Cast - Kip (repeating 5x) ... then the next girl goes. 3x (with corrections in between)
  2. Entire low bar ... then the next girl goes. 3x (with corrections in between on the specific focus of that day)
  3. Squat on - jump to high bar - kip ... then the next girl goes. 3x (with corrections in between)
  4. High bar routine "add on" each time they add the next skill in the high bar part of the routine.
  5. IF there is time, L4 does full routines. Level 5 will do Kip -Cast - Clear hip - Kip (repeating 5x)
  6. IF there is time, L5 does full routines. There are fewer L5s, so they can get more done in the same amount of time.
During meet week, L4 still do #1. Then, they play the "add on" game from the beginning of the routine until they are doing the full routine each time.
L5 does #1, then #5 ... THEN they play the "add on" game from the beginning of the routine until they are doing the full routine each time.

When it comes to vault, there are times that the girls need to focus on another event more and vault will not be done as much, but we do practice vault at least once a week even then.

We do all 4 events at every practice, level 4 does each event 4x per week for about 45 min each practice. They do routine parts a lot, but the week of meets they focus on full routines and perfecting them. I can't imagine not doing vault at every practice, especially for level 4.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back