WAG Normal wear-n-tear on grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Seeker

Proud Parent
Hi,

Just a curious question about uneven bar grips. I just ordered a new pair for my DD, but while assessing her current pair I noticed that they are 'worn' and 'shaped' differently on the left hand grip versus the right. Is this normal or should they wear down more symmetrically? (Just curious if the differences are indicative of an imbalance of power or dependence on one side versus the other and if that matters or not).

Thanks!

Mine are like that too. 1 is very thin and about an inch longer than the other(think it's time to get new ones ;) ). I've never had a pair that had 2 grips that looked the same... So I think it's normal, but once they look completely different it is time for a new pair.

I didn't have a left or a right grip; I just wore then on whichever hand so mine didn't have uneven wear and tear even when I started doing pirouetting skills. Definitely time for new grips!

That is interesting (the switching thing)...I've never heard of that!

Interestingly enough, I actually told her coach a few months ago that I thought she needed new ones. She looked at them and said she thought they were fine and that she should use them thru this season. She's constantly having to tighten them though, so I think it's time.

That is interesting (the switching thing)...I've never heard of that!

Interestingly enough, I actually told her coach a few months ago that I thought she needed new ones. She looked at them and said she thought they were fine and that she should use them thru this season. She's constantly having to tighten them though, so I think it's time.

you can't switch grips when they have dowels.

and your left hand and right hand are not the same/identical. neither are the forces between the left and right side of the body. hence 2 different shapes.:)

Just what dunno says, and that's why I will add also, NEVER let gymnasts share or borrow each others grips! We got back this week from a meet and one of my girls had forgotten her grips at home and wanted to borrow another gymnasts spare set. Needless to say that flew like a lead balloon with me! ;)

you can't switch grips when they have dowels.

and your left hand and right hand are not the same/identical. neither are the forces between the left and right side of the body. hence 2 different shapes.:)

I had dowels on my grips and I switched grips. Do you think that negatively affected my bar performance? I never peeled or anything and I like to think I was decently successful on bars

I had dowels on my grips and I switched grips. Do you think that negatively affected my bar performance? I never peeled or anything and I like to think I was decently successful on bars

Just a couple of thoughts:
(1) A pair of grips. A pair of hands. Hands do different things on bars. Grips do different things on bars. Grips can not wear exactly the same.
(2) Buckled straps go to the outside, same with velcro or combinations so they are out of the way. Switch grips - this could be annoying, irritate the hands/forearms or worse. Reduce risk - safer.
(3) Use of dowels custom the leather dowels and attachments to an athlete. Use by another athlete and they are "foreign." I see risk when indrotuding "foreign" during UB skills.
(4) Sanitary - exchange of grips between athletes - NO!
(5) Worn grips are risky tools. Use safer tools. When to replace - when worn. Just like the Goldilocks story that I read as a child - replace grips when they are not worn completely thru (dangerous), but at the just right time. Coaches with lots of experience are good judges of the "just right time."
(6) Plan ahead. In engineering grad school we were reminded of the 6 P's (Prior Proper Planning Promotes Prodigious Performance). Have broken in grips ready to go before Big meets (Invitationals, State Regions and or Nationals). Plan ahead and plan to do well.

I was thinking of this thread today as I am placing an order of dowel grips for the gym's pro shop.

My typical UB's pep talk: Grips secure-good! Perform your uneven bar routine today just like we have practiced. Tight is right, Straight is great. Go proudly and show them all, Eric

As far as wearing them on different hands goes, it should NOT happen, not only is the main part of the grip going to be different, but the finger holes are usually a little different sized too. So if you put them on the wrong hand, your fingers might slip out during a skill (Yikes! :eek:). I always had a way to determine which hand a grip should go on. When I had Velcro grips, the metal thing that you put the straps through was closest to my thumbs, and when I had buckle grips, the buckles were closest to my thumbs. For little kids, I find that it works best just to label them L for left and R for Right on the inside that way they can remember which grip goes on which hand. As far as uneven wear and tear goes, it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't perfectly symmetrical.

it is an unsafe practice. don't do it.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back