Parents North Texas ice and meets this weekend!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Kcanflip

Proud Parent
Anyone in the North Texas area wondering how the ice will impact their meets this weekend? I know of at least two meets in our area. We Texans are so not equipped to handle icy roads! My daughters meet is the Hillengburg State at Trevino's gymnastics but she is not scheduled till Sunday at 4:30 so we are probably going to be fine. Unfortunately the l2 team at her gym is scheduled tonight and roads look horrible and it is an hour drive without traffic or ice to contend with. From what I gather, the show will go on regardless. I can only imagine the headache and cost implications of trying to reschedule a big meet for a different weekend. Guessing in general it just doesn't happen.

We had sectionals one year within mile of wildfires. We all smelled of smoke, my daughter was nauseous half the meet because her clothes smelled like smoke. We actually drove by a fire on the side of the interstate right before the interstate got shut down.

Be careful driving. I know you guys aren't used to the conditions! Just be sure to leave with plenty of time. The meets might not be cancelled but they might be delayed if at all possible so I would check whatever websites or other info before you go.

Hope it isn't so bad for you. We have real winter here so we run into bad weather during meet season every year. Meets are never cancelled. Good luck!!

We compete in TN, and our Compulsory State meet was supposed to be today. It was cancelled, as the University it was at has been closed, due to weather. Not sure if they are going to reschedule or not...bummer to miss State :(

They didn't cancel for the l2 girls last night and I think maybe 1/3 of them made it. Kind of stinks but it's one meet so safety first. More team girls competing tonight and haven't heard how many made it. My daughter is tomorrow and it should be more drivable by the time we leave. Never thought I would be happy to have the very last session of the meet on a Sunday during the school year, but in this case I'm happy! Texas is just ill prepared for ice on the roads and it causes a big mess. They even cancelled the Dallas Marathon which hasn't happened since the 70's. We will be taking my hubbies 4WD Jeep versus my mini-van however!

We compete in TN, and our Compulsory State meet was supposed to be today. It was cancelled, as the University it was at has been closed, due to weather. Not sure if they are going to reschedule or not...bummer to miss State :(

They are looking at rescheduling. I heard that they are looking at either next weekend or the weekend after that.

They even cancelled the Dallas Marathon which hasn't happened since the 70's. We will be taking my hubbies 4WD Jeep versus my mini-van however!

As someone who is a winter driving expert I would just say that AWD and 4WD will not make any difference on ice. Take the car with the best tires and drive with extreme caution.

AWD and 4WD are great when you are stuck and need to get out or when you need to drive up a steep hill. But in terms of traction on an icy road it will not help more than good tires. In fact we see more AWD cars in the ditch than regular cars as AWD car drivers often think they are driving a superior machine.

Stopping times are more than doubled on ice. If you have ABS put your foot down as hard as possible and steer straight, do not lift your foot. If you do not have ABS then drive even slower.

When we have weather like you have just had we stay home. Not worth the risk at all.

Also if the weather is cold pack your car accordingly. Layers of clothing in case you break down. a shovel. bag of cat litter for traction, candles and matches for heat and some food/drink. Reflective triangles and flares.

As someone who is a winter driving expert I would just say that AWD and 4WD will not make any difference on ice. Take the car with the best tires and drive with extreme caution.

AWD and 4WD are great when you are stuck and need to get out or when you need to drive up a steep hill. But in terms of traction on an icy road it will not help more than good tires. In fact we see more AWD cars in the ditch than regular cars as AWD car drivers often think they are driving a superior machine.

Stopping times are more than doubled on ice. If you have ABS put your foot down as hard as possible and steer straight, do not lift your foot. If you do not have ABS then drive even slower.

When we have weather like you have just had we stay home. Not worth the risk at all.

Also if the weather is cold pack your car accordingly. Layers of clothing in case you break down. a shovel. bag of cat litter for traction, candles and matches for heat and some food/drink. Reflective triangles and flares.
We also live in the land of snow and ice winters (though not Canada) but I've never heard of driving with your foot down and steering straight?? Actually not sure what ABS is (something about anti brakes??)

I do have AWD and have always practiced the opposite...don't step on the brake hard if on ice...go slow...steer out slowly ....hmmm....

As for meets being cancelled...only once in all my daughter's years of competing....but that's because the Governor declared a state of emergency.

Other snowy meets we just leave super early....also, we are driving in city/suburban areas. I'd be more worried if we were driving on rural roads.

Good luck! though I guess the meet has happened already.

ABS are anti lock brakes. If you do not know what they are google them. They can be a life saver if you have them. If you do not, then do not put your foot down hard when braking!!! If you do not have ABS and you need to brake and your car is not complying lift your foot off the brake and steer into the slide and gently pump the brakes.

But frankly if the roads are icy stay home.

I agree with Bog. No meet is worth driving on ice! After a scare this summer not much is worth driving in heavy rain too!

Heard from one of our compulsory moms that state will be the weekend of the 20th. Good luck!!

I was wondering how many gyms were actually entered in the December meet. I only know for sure of one gym. I think a lot are waiting for Memphis in the spring. That's what our gym decided to do.

BTW....Sorry @lisajayes for semi-hijacking your thread.

How did the meet (and your travel) go?

No worries! Didn't think twice about it. Meet went ok. My daughter is not a placer. Scored right about 35 which is not competetive where we are at! Bars were super sloppy and that hurt her score. But it's l3 compulsory so try to not get too worked up about it. :D

Travel was fine for us in a jeep with awesome tires and 4wd but really in hindsight was not a great decision. Roads were ok but bridges were pure sleet/ice mix and lots of accidents and stuck vehicles along our route!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back