Parents Not a DD brag but a relative one! Also questions on DC area gyms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

bribri514

Never thought I'd get to post in this group but I am! My older half brother has a daughter who just turned 9. I am living with them this summer because I am doing a sports med/coaching internship at one of the local Deaf colleges at kids sports camps. Anyway my niece had been doing gym classes at the local Y, but the past few months she's been begging to join a team program and compete.

She'd capped off skill wise at the Y she's at, I went and saw one of the classes last week. She's definitely a solid L 4 with some L 5 skills on the bars (she does a gorgeous glide and long hang kip as well as great front and back hip circles). She's a lot leaner than I ever was at her ages and her lines are gorgeous. I'm just so proud of her! And she seems to be having a good time and that makes me happiest (her mom lives in a not as nice part of the city and she's not always with my brother and it seems like gymnastics is already helping keep her out of trouble and give her confidence!)b

My brother is just trying to find a good gym, since it will involve driving out of the city (DC). Can anyone recommend good gyms in the VA or MD area? The closer to DC the better. Thanks!!

isn't docksiders close to DC? i'm sure someone will post what's close. then i'll give you my thoughts.

I would check out YMCA Angels or Arlington Aerials. Both are in Arlington, VA and I think would be the closest gym to DC (unless you're on the northern side -- then MD folks maybe can chime in). The Angels seem to be a smaller program, but they always attend our home meets so I know they're active. DD has classmates on the Aerials and we've attended meets at their facility. I always worry about traffic in this area -- hopefully the commute will work.

Thanks vagymmomma. From the looks of it Arlington Aerials is an 18 min drive (according to google maps) and then there's also Fairfax Gymnastics Academy which is just a bit further. My brother lives in NE but it almost ends up being equal distance from Maryland and Virginia from the looks of it on a map.

dunno, Docksiders looks a bit further, more like 45 minutes away. But are they a good gym? I was just so blessed to have an amazing gym experience I want my niece to have the same!

Bri, We can always brag on "our kids" even if we are not their mothers. I am a proud Auntie, who brags about my "real" niece and nephew and my best friend's little girl who I claim as a niece.

BTW, its great to hear about your internship. You said you wanted to coach, keep us updated on your success to come.

Thanks vagymmomma. From the looks of it Arlington Aerials is an 18 min drive (according to google maps) and then there's also Fairfax Gymnastics Academy which is just a bit further. My brother lives in NE but it almost ends up being equal distance from Maryland and Virginia from the looks of it on a map.

18 minutes on Google Maps means nothing in DC... especially since she'd be driving out of the city to get her there, presumably during rush hour, which lasts from about 2:30-7:30 (not exaggerating even a little). It can take you 15 minutes or more (sometimes LOTS more) to go one exit on the beltway. We lived in DC for a number of years and my girls were born there. I LOVE DC. But I loved the city because I lived IN the city and could walk and/or metro just about anywhere I needed to go.

I suppose it's too much to hope that any of those gyms are near a metro station? Figure out roughly what time your niece would be going to gymnastics and try driving to each place at about that time. And do look in to public transportation, ask at the gyms if there are any other families that drive from her area that she may be able to carpool with, etc. I know that tons of people post here who have long drives to their gyms, but it would be horrible to run out and sign her up for a gym that's only 5-10 miles away, only to discover it takes her an hour OR LONGER to get there at the time she needs to be there!

Bri, can't help you out on the gym recommendation. Just wanted to say "hi" and glad you had a little time to post and share your "aunt" brag.

MaryA- Oh no! I was afraid of that. I'm just a mountain girl so that kind of traffic doesn't register with me! I think the biggest problem would be coordinating something that works with my brother's job (long days and a single dad) and something her mom would agree to when she's with her. She just seems to love it so much I'd love for her to be able to stick with it. Esp since she doesn't have a ton of positive role models (IMO). Her mom lives in SE and my brother lives in NE (and I guarantee my brother will never ever live the city not matter what!). I'll definitely take those suggestions!

txgymfan and gym law mom- Thanks! I always miss it here. To be honest I got kind of freaked from the new layout and was in school and slammed for time and didn't have a chance to navigate it. Now I've realized how simple it is I'll be back on more!

dunno, Docksiders looks a bit further, more like 45 minutes away. But are they a good gym? I was just so blessed to have an amazing gym experience I want my niece to have the same!

bob oulette has a great program at docksiders. that's where i'd take my own child.:)

Bribri--try Silver Stars Gymnastics in Silver Spring, Md. I believe it is like 15-20 minutes outside DC. Here is the link:

https://www.gosilverstars.com/index.html

There are some other gyms in the Md area that are about 30-45 minute drives from DC so I am not sure what type of commute your brother is looking at. If you can give more details on drive time, that may help narrow some choices down.

Oh Bribri--I forgot to add--Silver Stars Silver Spring also has a very strong Mason Dixon program. She could easily be a level B with her skills and she could get her own routines since MDL is all optionals. The meets are all within the Md area about one per month starting in Dec through May. This may be a great option for her if she has never competed before.

I've heard good things about Docksiders, but I can tell you that will not be pleasant drive during rush hour (figure at least an hour between distance and traffic level). Good luck with the decision -- just have them visit any place they're considering and try to make the drive at practice time (during the week) to get a real feel for the travel time.

I was also going to suggest Arlington Aerials. They have been at many of our meets as well. They always do well at their meets and they have a really strong compulsory team as well. If she wants to stick with a Y program, there's Arlington Angels. Arlington is right across the bridge from DC. I don't know how far of a drive it is to Docksiders... the Maryland people will let you know, I'm sure.

dunno- Wow, if you would bring your daughter there it has to be an amazing program! I'm just worried it might be too far. My brother isn't really into the whole gym thing or leaving the city.

MdGymMom01- Totally forgot you're from MD (silly I know!) As soon as I remembered I started thinking about the Mason Dixon program and that might be really good for my niece.

Tumblequeensmom- Actually the program she was in was through the DC parks and rec, not the Y (her signing is a little weak so we have these miscommunications sometimes). An actual Y program might be good too, we'll definitely check out Arlington.

I have next week off work so I'm going to be able to drive her to check out some gyms. Then it's a matter of talking my brother into keeping up with the drive (he's one of those guys who's convinced the suburbs are pointless and there's no reason for him to leave the city- ever). This is all just very exciting, I am starting to feel even more grateful for my mom who had to do all this for me (including an insanely long drive to the only gym within 75 miles) when I was younger. :)

Your niece is lucky to have you around. I am sure you'll know a good gym when you see one.

Lovely to see you back here too.

Then it's a matter of talking my brother into keeping up with the drive (he's one of those guys who's convinced the suburbs are pointless and there's no reason for him to leave the city- ever).

I felt the same way. In fact, we lived in SE (Capitol Hill) and even going to a restaurant that was in NW seemed SO far away, and if it wasn't close to a metro stop, forget it! So there are no gym programs IN the city? I don't think any of my DC friends have kids in gymnastics (probably for not-leaving-the-city reasons) so I guess maybe there aren't any. :(

Are you at Galaudette? If so, you're not too far from the Hill! Definitely check out Eastern Market some weekend.

My brother works on the Hill and loves this area. He'll never leave I don't think! He doesn't even want to live in NW, he thinks it's too yuppy. Gotta love him though. The only DC programs are through DCPR and are split into 3 classes by age and are up at the Chevy Chase rec center, that's where my niece was doing hers. It's crazy there's not an actual gym anywhere in the city! GWU has a gym team, but I couldn't find any programs there (University of Denver actually has a JO program based out of their gym). I'll definitely check out the Eastern Market sometime! I'm doing my internship at Gally, I'm thinking about even transferring here in the fall. I always possibly wanted to come here but I've also been mainstreamed at hearing schools my whole life and the school I chose gave me the chance to do college gym until I got too hurt to keep going, so it was the best option at the time. Now I've been offered at cheer coach position at MSSD (Model Secondary School for the Deaf, the Deaf high school on Gally's campus) and Gally offers the same sports training program I'm in so it's looking tempting... DC may become my new home too!!

And thanks bog, I missed you and the gang here so much!!

So nice to get an update from you BriBri!!! Best wishes to your niece! I'm sure you & your brother will find just the right "gym home" for her:D! Please keep us posted on both your's & her progress! We love to hear from you around here!!!! You are such a wonderful role model to so many:D!!!!

Also close in Maryland - Sportsplex- right off E Capital St ( known as Central ave once you cross into MD) Docksiders is a great gym but a real travel nightmare and they are very strict about being on time for practice! ( they have a deaf men's coach, fyi)

UPDATE- Thanks again everyone for the input. This week I was able to borrow my brother's car and check out some of the gyms. The two in Arlington (YMCA Angels and Aerials) and the Silver Stars in Silver Springs, Maryland. They're all great gyms and seemed fairly accessible. The Arlington gyms are about 20 min away with medium traffic and there's a few different ways to get there. Silver Springs can be closer to an hour with traffic over 30 min without. I'm also trying to figure out the best way for public transit. We live about a mile from a Metro station and it's a safe walk, straight past the university. To get the Arlington though there is more subway transfers than Silver Springs. Each gym requires a 5-10 minute bus ride after the subway which is doable. I know this is lots of info! I am just not used to cities at all lol. Obviously she's 9 and a long walk alone and the subway and then another bus so I would be with her if I could not borrow my brother's car (which is about to die, he never uses it, I am so surprised he has one!)

Allllll that said I think the Arlington gyms are more likely. Especially the YMCA program. It is very affordable and seems like a good intro to USAG.

I cannot thank you all enough for help and now that I am back involved in gym more (instead of just volunteer coaching when I am home from college) I will be around more! Though it really really really makes me miss competing again. Too bad with my back I cannot compete at same level I once was.

And flipper's fan I will have to go meet this Deaf coach! That is awesome!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back