Parents Not being moved up because she is “too young”

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Focus definitely isn’t an issue, but I can see how she does act younger than the older kids in class. When it comes to skills or conditioning or stretching she does focus and do her work- I occasionally notice her acting a little silly in down time if there are a couple girls in front of her in line, but nothing crazy. Her coach frequently compliments her on her focus.

She did have a bit of a hard time transitioning to kindergarten so that could have something to do with her coaches feelings about it, but I feel like now she is hitting her stride and getting the hang of longer days at school and longer gym practices. I have always worried that she doesn’t have the drive for team gymnastics as she is just naturally athletic and has really pretty lines- but this coach has really pushed for her to stay in the developmental program, and I feel like she is finally really getting into it so I don’t want to crush all her little dreams.

I agree that it is never an easy decision or feeling when you can’t move everyone- but when I move kids or don’t move them I have very concrete reasons- they don’t have this skill that is required, we are working on arm strength, flexibility, whatever... having these decisions based more on feelings makes it a lot harder for me to grasp as a coach and a parent. It does make sense that kids this little are just at different places developmentally.

Anyway, I’m sure everything will work out ok- just hoping my daughter doesn’t end up bored or disappointed (or both!) I think it was helpful to say something to her coach, because I’m not sure she even realized that my daughter would be sad to be left behind since she is a little younger and sometimes you do kind of forget that little ones take these things so seriously sometimes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back