Parents Not moved up a level

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Bruingirl6

Proud Parent
Hi everyone - I am new to this board, but have a question.

My 5 year-old daughter started gymnastics 1.5 years ago. For the past 13 months, she has been in level 1 for 4-5 year olds. She just checked off all of the required skills to move to level 2. Once that was done, I was told to book her an evaluation with another coach, who would have her perform all the skills in one sitting.
We did this and I was told that she is "too wobbly on the beam" and that her hollow position wasn't consistent enough. (Keep in mind that her classes are NEVER taken on the regulation beam, they go on one that is 12 inches high, until this separate skills eval.)
After this was done, one of her coaches said, "I knew she wasn't ready and never would have even let you schedule another eval if I had known." Her other coach (from a different day of the week) said, "How can they think she isn't ready. She is getting bored. Why would she not get moved up?"

I agree with the 2nd coach that she is getting bored. She can only do step points on the beam for some many months. She is doing pullovers on the bars, and is doing back walkovers on the floor.

I inquired about private lessons to brush up on any skills they thought were inconsistent and was told that they didn't think it would be helpful.

I am contemplating moving her to another gym. She has a friend with similar skills who is 1.5 years older and is already competing at another gym

Should I move her to another gym?

They can't give me any timeline as to when they will allow her to test again - what is reasonable? - 3 months, 6 months? I can't imaging keeping her at a level where she has all the skills checked off for another year.

Ideally, that 2nd coach would begin to add additional skills for her on beam while still teaching the class what they are to learn. On her turns, she would just do something else.
If the gym is not meeting your daughter's needs, you may want to get her evaluated at another gym. HOWEVER, please do not compare your DD's gymnastics journey to another's. This other gym may compete levels your gym does not. They may have more lax move up standards.
Every gymnast is on his or her own journey. Your DD is 5 and her journey is just beginning. Get her evaluated (ideally at a few gyms if there are a lot around). See if there is a better fit.
Good luck.

I would have her evaluated elsewhere. It doesn't mean you have to change gyms, but at least you have a second (third, fourth...) opinion. Also keep in mind she is only 5-there's not necessarily any rush to move her up or have her compete, but if she is bored and it doesn't seem she will be challenged where she is, that is enough of a reason for me to begin looking at other programs.

It’s really interesting. Tonight they are testing another littler girl, and they are letting her do all the skills on the low beam. Things are a little inconsistent from gymnast to gymnast.

It’s really interesting. Tonight they are testing another littler girl, and they are letting her do all the skills on the low beam. Things are a little inconsistent from gymnast to gymnast.
If you look at all the different nuances, you will drive yourself crazy. Not trying to be mean, just honest....and it sounds like you honestly need to at least give another place a try, especially as one coach thinks she is good enough. It can't hurt, and if they say more of the same, then you will know....and if they don't, then you will also know. Good luck! :)

I would move her or at least take her for an evaluation somewhere else. My older daughter was a terrible level 1 at 5/6 years old. Talk about wobbly--the beam was a nightmare. That means nothing. She was a level 7 by age 9 and did terrific, even on the beam. It would have been silly for her to stay on level 1 at that age. Meet scores were not great on level 1, but she would have been bored out of her mind. If the child can't get the skills, it's a different story, but in my opinion, level 1 and 2 aren't even really gymnastics yet.

If your wanting to get her somewhere with her gymnastics career (although it is a bit young to tell) as in, competitive in optionals or anything of the sorts I'd say move gyms. Kinda seems like that gym will just sandbag your daughter.

Thanks for all the input. We had her evaluated at the other gym, and she was placed on their developmental pre-team for 5-6 year olds. They are correcting her errors and teaching her more at practices. They have really reignited her love of gymnastics. She comes home wanting to practice more, and keeps asking when she can go back. In 6 months at the old place, they never told her to put her head down on her pullovers/back hip circles. Took only one time at the new gym to make this correction and improve her form!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back