Coaches Not removing the mat after mount deduction.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Coach247

Coach
Hi everybody.

We just had a meet where all our level 3 girls, that competed a glide pull over, got deducted because their mounting spring board wasn't removed until after they started their pull over. The judge said the deduction is called "failure to remove springboard or mounting mat/block after mount"
I found this specific deduction under the general penalties, it is a real deduction.
My question is, do we consider the glide or the pull over the mount for 3s? When do I actually need to move the mounting mat? According to the text, I believe, I only have to move after the pull over started, not before the pull over.

The text says: " Reverse the glide and swing backwards with legs together and straight, with the feet of the floor. At the competition of the backward swing, the feet may contact the mat to finish in a straight stand OR the body can continue the swing forwards, placing the feet on the mat closer to the apparatus."

I've looked for a place where it specifically says what kind a mat they are referring to when they say "May contact the mat" but I haven't had any luck.

Any body knows anything about this or is a judge or know who I can email or call to clarify this?

Thank you

I've always pulled it as soon as they jump to grab the bar. The feet can touch the bar mats or an additional 8 inch, I would think.

Well, the judge should have warned you anyway after the first girl. And I think removing it by the pullover should be sufficient. I don't wait that long because I go to stand there for the front hip shoot through connection, so next time just pull it back when they jump to be safe

The rule is in place for safety reasons, so for a judge to just sit there and take it over and over again without saying anything is just lame ... Obviously it is up to you (coach) to move the board, but safety issues are also the responsibility for everyone around, whether its your kid or not . If some level 9 does a double pike on floor and is stumbling backwards out of bounds,,, you put a hand on them so they don't smack their heads on the ground. I can't tell you how many times I have seen coaches help to protect kids that are not a member of their team. Safety at meets is a group effort and the judges are usually very good about letting a coach know of a potential safety issue. But, yes pull the board when they leave it.

What if the gymnast is so little that if she doesn't come back to the mounting mat she finishes her glide with no support for her feet?
We have the bar on the lowest possible setting.

Does that only applies for a board mounting or for any mounting mat?
If I use a panel mat for mounting, can I have her come back to that mat?

Am I aloud to have a big 8" under the low bar so this way she can mount from a mounting board/mat and I can move right away but she can still reach the 8" mat when she completes her glide?

An 8 inch mat would be preferred. It does not need to be removed. The springboard or any mounting block that looks like a spring board or is small would need to be removed right after the girl jumps for her glide.
The judge should have said something after the first girl.
I hope this helps.

What if the gymnast is so little that if she doesn't come back to the mounting mat she finishes her glide with no support for her feet?
We have the bar on the lowest possible setting.

Does that only applies for a board mounting or for any mounting mat?
If I use a panel mat for mounting, can I have her come back to that mat?

Am I aloud to have a big 8" under the low bar so this way she can mount from a mounting board/mat and I can move right away but she can still reach the 8" mat when she completes her glide?

You're not allowed to pullover off the mounting block. You have to put a landing mat under the bar. If they don't reach with an 8 inch under the lowest setting, you show the judges and they'll get another mat...but I've usually never seen that. Usually they can reach with an 8 inch under the lowest setting.

We usually don't have an 8" because only one of the girls can't reach the floor.
But that would solve the problem.

Thank you so much everyone.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back