WAG Not training skills?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SplitLeap

Proud Parent
Hello, first time poster here!
My daughter had a great level 3 season and is now training for level 4. However, she has mentioned several times now that the coaches haven’t let any of the new level 4’s practice many of the new skills. They have not done the actual front hs vault, aren't allowed to jump to the high bar, aren’t doing cartwheels on beam yet, and according to my daughter aren’t doing much tumbling. I am trying to not watch practice, just drop her off, and trust the coach, but I can’t help worrying when my daughter is complaining (although she’s 8). Our season doesn’t start until January, so is this normal? Maybe they are perfecting form first? Thanks in advance!

Many coaches like to spend this beginning of summer time focusing on conditioning and going back to basics to build the strength and form foundation for the next levels. If I remember WAY back to level 4, I want to say that the conditioning and strength and form work really amped up at this level and especially for a bit at the beginning of summer. Don’t worry the coaches want the kids ready to compete in January. It’s all part of the plan. :)

very common. And yes, the girls complain about it because all they want to do is learn new skills. This is where you begin to see the split of girls who are in it for the skills and those who are in it for the long term. The ones who cheat on their conditioning because it is boring, etc. The group is likely doing a lot of drills that they are not realizing will lead to the new skills and there is a lot of perfecting of form and strengthening/conditioning at the beginning of summer training so they can get through the new routines effortlessly when they put it together.

My daughter didnt vault over the table till maybe 2 weeks before thier mock meet in October (first meet in November) so I will say generally they do wait awhile to do "real" vaults. They also did a lot of squat ons before actually jumping and grabbing the high bar it can be a big jump for some of them and it takes a lot of hands on coaching I feel like for the first few times to be sure they dont peel off. I am a bit surprised about the cartwheel but thats all. As others said the first month of summer I feel like is a lot of conditioning and basics I think they worked on just the roundoff for almost 2 weeks going into level 4 year. If your season starts in January they are doing fine. She may have just thought it would be instanious working new skills but I bet they get to that closer to the end of the summer.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I stopped staying to watch practice (which it sounds like is a good idea) so all I have to go on is what my daughter tells me. I’m so glad I found this community

Conditioning and drills. They first have to learn the pieces before they put them together

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back