Novice question from an adult learner

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi folks. I'm a 34 male, new to this forum and also fairly new to gymnastics. I'm in decent shape, slim and reasonably flexible. I've always enjoyed dancing and martial arts, but recently I got it into my head I'd like to learn some gymnastics.
To this end I've been practicing handstands and building core and upper body strength, mostly with situps, pressups and chinups (I don't have much faith in weights machines). My aim is to be able to do a back handspring within two years.
There aren't any classes for adults near me so I'm pretty much limited to youtube videos and forums such as this. What I'm looking for is some advice on exercises that will train the appropriate strength,flexiblity and confidence to do a back handspring.

Any pointers welcome, thanks in advance :)

Any local gyms have open gym? Some around here have sessions for adults (or at least 16+). Usually a coach or two will be around. Ive been to a few and learned to walk on my hands and do a back flip. I won't call it a back tuck as I don't think I tuck. The back flip came out of my fear of doing a back hand spring and going all the way around. Either way, there were a few coaches around as well as mats.

This place is very against learning gymnastics moves without proper supervision and instruction from a coach. I personally disagree that a coach and proper facilities is absolutely necessary. You should check out Martial Arts & Tricking which has tutorials and a very helpful, if somewhat rude, forum. Good luck!

If you're in the UK there will be a gym near you- unless you're in the remote Highlands or something :)

Have you tried the BGA? Their website has quite a good map- find a couple of clubs and call round- they may let you join in with the older kids if they aren't big enough to have a separate adults class. A good few don't really advertise adults either, so it's worth a call. Gyms with display teams often have older teams too. Sports acro is often good to enquire about, again they tend to have older teams.

You will need some sort of matting to learn though, and preferably a coach who can take you through the drills.

Where abouts are you? Are you near a big city or a town?

Hi Johny7

You need to go to the British Gymnastics website (enter the site from the welcome page) and scroll all the way to the bottom of the home page to the Find a Club tab. You can put your postcode or location in there and get the details of the nearest clubs.
That said I am only too aware that there are large areas of the country which are not well served. We have to travel an hour and we are in England.

Then it really depends what you have in mind. Many clubs do offer adult gymnastics, or at least would be happy to discuss some sort of appropriate way for you to get some help, either on a regular basis or some one off sessions. If there's one in shouting distance just give them a ring and see what they say.

If it helps encourage you I have a friend who sounds quite similar to you - very fit and in to other sports and a little older in fact. He didn't decide to take up gymnastcs, but he wanted to learn a back flip for a stage roll and he went along to two adult sessions at our gym and got it sorted! I don't know if he practiced at home as well, he's a grown man and that's up to him and it didn't need to look pretty, but he picked it up quickly with that initial input.

Pars cours is free running, parkour is just a modification of the name. They are the same sport except one name is French the other English.

Flips are part of both, just YouTube it and you will see.

I suggest open gym.

Also this site isn't against anything, but individual members maybe pro or con.

Pars cours is free running, parkour is just a modification of the name. They are the same sport except one name is French the other English.

Flips are part of both, just YouTube it and you will see.

I suggest open gym.

Also this site isn't against anything, but individual members maybe pro or con.
Nope. similar sports with free running being developed from parkour. I realize many people who do parkour also do flips however the core premise of parkour is efficiency of motion. Flipping is not efficient.
"Freerunning" as in your motion not being constrained and artistic creativity being highlighted. Hence it is freerunning with all the flippies.

They are most certainly not the same sport.

Saying this site is against learning without a coach was wrong. However that seems to be the common answer to anyone asking for help with a gymnastics move.

Nope. similar sports with free running being developed from parkour. I realize many people who do parkour also do flips however the core premise of parkour is efficiency of motion. Flipping is not efficient.
"Freerunning" as in your motion not being constrained and artistic creativity being highlighted. Hence it is freerunning with all the flippies.

They are most certainly not the same sport.

Saying this site is against learning without a coach was wrong. However that seems to be the common answer to anyone asking for help with a gymnastics move.

We can agree to disagree on this one.

As to the common answer here being to go to a gym, that is because most of the coaches here believe it is the safest way.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back