Parents Number of coaches

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MILgymFAM

Proud Parent
This is a spinoff of thread about cancelled practices. I noticed on that thread, and others on here, that many gyms seem to have rather robust coaching numbers. I'm just wondering what the norm is. How many coaches would you say your gym has overall? By level? Or even by event?

My ODDs gym has one main coach for optionals and one main coach for compulsories. There are a couple of coaches that pitch in on a non-regular basis for specific events or as assistants, but the main coaches run their shows completely. If those two are gone or unavailable, there are no practices. Total for the gym, between rec and team is around six coaches.

My YDDs gym has two HCs for team. Period. No one else. When they are away practice is obviously cancelled. Total for the gym between rec and team is four coaches.

Last edited:
2 main coach/owners. 2 additional coaches. And 2 younger ones to work with the real littles. A couple of additional coaches in the summer.

Coaches have their "events" but all can coach all events. We have no event/level dedicated coaches. Clearly the owners are the heads. :D

Team is team. For coaches and kids. They are grouped mostly by level but really everyone works and trains as one team.

Level 2 and 3 share coaches, which I believe is 2. Level 4 has a coach and an asst, Level 6 is split into 2-3 groups with 2-3 coaches, lv 7-10 have about 4-5 coaches between them. One main IGC coach and lots of rec coaches. Sometimes these seem to mix and match, but is mostly like this. Owners also coach upper levels.

I dont know how many we have. I know there are 5 for JO, probably a similar number for Xcel and then quite a few for rec, boys and preteam. So, total at least 20.

So for the boys, we have 1 coach, 1 assistant, and one guy that does the beginners. That guy also does girls. Optional girls have 4, compulsary girls have 4 (1 overlap), xcel girls have 3 (1 overlap), then there are about 5 rec/other coaches.

Don't get me started on coaches lol.

We have a lot, but not enough.

There are 8 xcel coaches. That is for like 130 kids, but they are there different times. There are about 20 kids with 2 coaches for xcel. Each group of two coaches have their own practice days, but other coaches will fill in as needed.

There are 6 coaches for JO, which has about 70 kids. I am not sure how they break it up - I think certain ones do the optionals and certain ones do the little ones, but they will also switch as needed.

There is little crossover between xcel and JO coaches. On occassion JO will take one of the xcel coaches. Even rarer xcel will take one of the JO coaches, but usually if there is no xcel coach they just combine the xcel groups.

We have:
HC
Assistant HC
3 Full Time Assistant Team Coaches
3 Part Time Assistant Team Coaches
7 rec coaches
and 4 girls that come in and coach on college breaks

We have about 48 girls on team all there at the same time.

I really don't know how many, but I am surprised how few some of y'all have. We have our 2 head coaches/owners who only seem to work with the 9&10's. A full time bars coach and floor/beam coach for optionals. At least 5-6 other main coaches for preteam - level 6. And then 3-4 assistant coaches that move around. We also have 3-4 Xcel coaches. A couple of tumbling only coaches. And about a million rec and rec team coaches (mostly high school kids).

There are about 100 girls on JO team (approx 50% compulsory/50% optional), 15-20 Xcel and tons and tons of rec kids. There is also a rec team with 40-50 (?wild guess?) gymnasts.

I'm still trying to figure out the ins and outs of DD's new gym but the optionals have three main coaches plus several that come in part time and sub. I have no idea about the compulsories but it seems like you can't swing a dead cat without hitting three or four coaches. Definitely not what we experienced in the past but pretty nice.

At meets, all three coaches are there and work with the girls on their special event. At the last meet when the girls were on bars, my dad remarked that it was like the girls had their own pit crew when the coaches were changing the bar settings. Made me laugh.

At the last meet when the girls were on bars, my dad remarked that it was like the girls had their own pit crew when the coaches were changing the bar settings. Made me laugh.

That would be really nice! My ODDs gym has one-two coaches at meets, and that's spread out over separate competing groups. The girls change the bar settings with the coach, move the mats and springboards, and switch the vault settings. It would be nice if everything was done for them.

T&T is a whole other animal and my YDDs gym takes two coaches but the kids are broken up into four groups and so two of the groups don't have their coach with them at all. The kids don't have to have their coach with them at an event to compete in T&T, so it's different.

DD XG has 4 Xcel specific Coaches. They also have a L3/4 Coach who helps with beam and a L5/7 Coach that helps with bars. Her group only has 6 gymnasts but there are always 2 Coach's maybe 3 at each meet.
DD T&T has 3 team Coaches. There are also multiple Rec Coaches. All team Coaches are at each meet though 1 may be judging.

Previous gym: one compulsory coach and two assistants; two optional coaches (one is gym owner).

Current gym: lots of rec coaches that I know nothing about because they practice in another part of the gym. For team kids: 1 TOPS coach, 2 coaches for levels 2-4 (one does bars/vault and one does floor/beam); 2 coaches for levels 5-6 (one does bars/vault and one does floor/beam); levels 7-10 (5 coaches: two for bars/vault, two for beam/floor and one floater that can and will coach anything. Floater is also gym owner.

Our gym does have ax Xcel program.

I have no idea the number of instructional and preschool coaches...maybe 20 plus 5 or so assistants that are training to be coaches. (generally retired gymnasts still in high school that love the sport).

We have 6 xcel coaches.

6 compulsory coaches. 2 assigned to level 3 and 4 that coach 4/5.

5 optional coaches. We mostly event coach with some overlap. Try to have everyone go to the meets if possible.

6 JO coaches , 3 pre team / conditioning coaches. .approx 90 on team.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back