WAG Number of current elites

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I kind of thought that might be what it meant.As usual, dunno, you are such a treasure trove of information.Thank you!!

I'am from Europa ans it is very interesting to see how they can get Elite. If I understand corectly they have to get a curtain score ate a national elite qualifier. But what about gymnasts like Sagremone who only do 3 events?

they must achieve even a higher qualifying score than the all arounders.

I don't know any personally and I'm uncomfortable relaying hearsay. I imagine former elite gymnasts, like any group of people, have different experiences and think back differently on their careers. Some are probably quite proud of what they accomplished. Some probably wonder what it would have been like to have a "normal" youth and struggle a bit to find their way when they are done with gymnastics. It's like anything.

I am sure that is true.

Former elites have a better chance of getting a collegiate scholarship to one of the top gymnastics programs in the country because they've been training a much higher level of difficulty. . . .thought, that is not to say a really great level 10 athlete does not have a good chance either.

Former elites may have a better chance of being chronically injured and/or mentally burned out. They may lose schlorships due to injury or lose motivation once they get to college.

On the other hand, college gym may be more fun compared to the pressure packed training of elite and national teams. It can be a way for the gymnast to give back to their parents for some of thier support. Being a part of a school sport is a first for most (or all) elites and that could be really special.

being on the USA National Team= funding

Only six of the thirteen juniors on national team are funded. Maybe all but five or six of the seniors on national team are funded. They all receive clothing and free trips to national team camp, but only certain members of the national team receive "funding" which refers to the reimbursable, monthly stipend.

An "international elite" is a gymnast who has competed at the American Classic or the US Classic in the past.

The International Elites in 2011 were as follows:
(* = Visa, ** = National Team)

Seniors:
Grace McLaughlin**
Jessie Howe*
Brandie Jay**
Hallie Mossett**
Sophina deJesus
Casey McGee*
Lauren Beers
Pua Hall
Jackie McCartin
Sophia Lee*
Anna Li**
Jordyn Wieber**
McKayla Maroney**
Aly Raisman**
Alicia Sacramone**
Macko Caquatto**
Sabrina Vega**
Bridgey Caquatto**
Gabby Douglas**
Chellsie Memmell**
Becca Bross**
Shawn Johnson**
Jessie deZiel*
Amanda Jetter*

Juniors:
Kyla Ross**
Lexie Priessman**
Katelyn Ohashi**
Sarah Finnegan**
Brenna Dowell**
Amelia Hundley**
Bailie Key**
Kennedy Baker**
Maddie Desch**
Brianna Brown**
Ericha Fassbender*
Kiana Winston**
Nica Hults*
Samantha Partyka*
Mary Dare Maxwell*
Bridget Dean
Nichelle Christopherson
Mack Brannan*
Macy Toronjo*
Simone Biles*
Nia Dennis
Alex Marks
Nichole Lehrmann
Polina Schnennikova*
Claire Hammen
Ashley Szafranski
Stefani Catour
Ashley Foss
Ariana Guerra*
Amanda Huang
Lauren Marinez*
Shannon McNatt
Ebee Price**
Jordan Stavrou
Keeley McNeer
Peyton Ernst*
Mykayla Skinner**
Meredith Sylvia*
Abigail Milliet*
Maggie Nichols*

Only 5 this next Olympics, and then only 3 compete the AA, if I have it correctly. Or maybe its 3 compete on each event. It's 3 up, 3 count.

Wow! It certainly seems like a whirlwind for elites. One trains all year for two elite meets (classics) to hopefully make it to championships and then it is back to the drawing board? And for those with Olympic dreams, it almost seems like the lottery. Of the tens of thousands of gymnasts in the U.S., only 6 willhave the opportunity to represent the country and only every four years. All that hard work and dedication. Amazing young ladies.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back