Parents Number of training days and hours per week

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Pearl

Proud Parent
Dd 13 L9 already practices 21 hrs, 6 days week. She might have the option of doing an additional short practice on Sunday, 2 hrs., mostly bars, which she would like extra help with. I am worried about an increased risk of burnout and injuries from lack of a recovery day. It strikes me as a bad idea, but i don't know anything about gymnastics. :-( Should we say no?

Am also wondering what you think should be the maximum range for number of hours of training per week(?) the L7. - 10s mostly homeschooled (highly talented) group in her gym practices 6 days 34hrs/wk. (!) we don't want dd to put in that many hours, but am curious if you think there is a point between 21 and 34 hrs where most kids reach the point of diminishing returns? I admit I would like to think that more practice time doesn't always lead to better gymnastics.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but training 7 days a week seems like a bit much to me. Everyone needs some down and recovery time.

My Dd is a Level 10 and trains 5 days a week (20 hours) and she relishes the two days off that she gets. It gives her time for her hands to heal (going through a period where her hands and wrists are in a constant state of ripped up, bloody mess) her muscles to feel better and most of all, to mentally recharge.

More hours does not necessarily translate into better gymnastics.

dd goes 5 days a week and is very happy to have the 2 day weekend off for recharge. I'm not sure how long either of us would have lasted with 6 day a week practices. Even at 5days, she will take an extra recoup day every 4-6wks.

During the summer my daughter trained 25 hrs/wk. The fall schedule just came out and she'll be training 22.5 hrs/wk. during the school year. They haven't announced levels yet but likely she'll be preparing for (new) L8.

I remember going out to LA to visit a relative and my daughter practiced at a gym in the area--they told me that they trained 30 hrs/wk.

DD 13 training L10 practices 5 days/week 22-25 hours. She NEEDS the days off to recoup- literally does very little, especially on the midweek day.

There's absolutely no way I would EVER agree to my kid practicing 7 days a week, period....coaches who suggest that are setting their gymnasts up for burnout...We've been in gyms with 6 days a week and 5 days a week and I can tell you that my daughter relished having "only" 5 days a week of practice. As far as number of hours to max out at, I read a study sometime back that put that number at 24 ...that basically the risk/reward of going over 24 leaned heavily towards greater injury risk and not necessarily better gymnastics...

There is no answer to your question, because there are way to many variables. But as a whole, "yes" more hours does increase the risk of burnout,,, but so does,,,, injuries, boys, overbearing parents, fear, bad coaching and turning into a teenager. :) HOWEVER ! There is one thing that will not burn a child out and that is success, So if adding a few extra hours onto your daughter is something she wants and helps her to achieve this then go for it!

For a 13 yo, L9 - 21 hours doesn't seem like a lot. Can they add your extra couple of hours to another training session?
My dd is 11 yo, L9 (NN in CAD) and she trains 25 hours (5 X 5) which could go to 30 when she moves to next level in a couple of years. My dd gets 2 days off and she needs them...for fun time/down time and to rest any injuries (knock on wood)

I agree that they need a day completely free of gym to regroup and recover. How much does it cost to have the extra 2 hour bar day? If she really needs help with bars - how about putting that money towards a 1/2 hour private each week on a regular practice day so that she gets a full day of no gym.

About the hours - I do see a lot more than that for levels lower than 9, but my dd is training 8 and goes 18. Even the L10s at our gym only go 20.

My dd is L4. the entire team practices Mon, Wed, Thur, Fri from 6-9 and then Sat 10-3.

She can also go to a Tues tumbling class, but normally she doesn't do that, it is our family night.

DD moved to 25 hrs this summer and will continue it in the fall. It has been fine for now, but DH and I agreed that we won't book any regularly scheduled activity on the other two days (ie noire dance, etc.)

It would be too much for her. Those two days a week are critical for her having time to play with friends, do family things, chill and read a book, etc.

My suggestion would be to NOT add the 7th day to your schedule.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back