WAG Number of training days per week

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2-3 Days Level 3
3-4 Days Level 4
4-5 Days Levels 5
4-5 Days Level 6-8
5 Days Levels 9-10

Generally fewer days but more hours per day in the summer.

For example the Level 4s do 12 hours. 4 days a week for 3 hours at a time during the school year, 3 days a week for 4 hours at a time during the summer.

3 days for Levels 3-9 and Xcel Gold-Platinum.
That is Jan-June and Aug - mid December.
We go 42 weeks a year.
For 2 weeks in July, we host rec camps (5 days each, 2 hours/day) and the team girls can come work out or help with the campers.

Sometimes, an extra day is offered during meet season.

I am in a different country so I can't make a direct comparison:

Rec: 1 or 2 times per week (1 hour)
Preteam: 1 or 2 times per week (2 hours)
Rec compulsory: 1 or 2 times per week (2 hours)
Middle compulsory: 3 times per week (2 hours)
High compulsory: 5 times per week (2 to 2.5 hours)
Low optionals: 1 to 3 times per week (2 hours)
Middle optionals: 2 to 6 times per week (2 hours)
High optionals: 5 times per week (2.5 to 3.5 hours)

At our gym JO goes 5 days and Xcel goes 4 days. But once you are on a team you have the option to go up on hours. My DD was going 13 hours but asked to be moved to 20 to get more practice in.

3 days for level 3
4 days for level 4 and 5
5 days for level 6 and 7
6 days for level 8, 9, and 10s.

My daughter will be starting 6 days a week next fall. I'm worried it will be too much.

JO 2 and 3: 2 days minimum, 3 recommended
JO 4: 3 day minimum, 4 recomended
JO 5-6/7: 4 minimum, 5 recommended
JO 7(trying for 8) and up: 5 minimum, 6 recommended

We do "shorter" days than a lot of gyms. So a 6 day optional is only at 19.5 hours.

Edited to add Xcel:
2 days a week for Bronze and Silver
3 days encouraged, but only 2 required for Gold
Platinums and Diamonds come 3 days a week, a 4th is optional.

My DD's gym tops out at 5 days. As a gymnast I went 6 at the end though, and actually liked it. We had a 5 or 6 day choice for the high level optionals with the same total hours - most of us that went to school on a regular schedule did the 6 day option, because it let us do a full day of school, have a brief break in between, and get home in time for a sit down dinner, homework, and a reasonable bed time. Our 6th day was always low-impact - it was when we did dance training, worked on choreo, lots of polishing on beam, reviewed video with coaches, etc. I was glad to be given the choice not to need to miss out on electives at school or get home at almost 10 every night. There are pros and cons to both options.

Pre-team: 2 days (2hrs/day)
Level 3: 3 days (3 hrs/day)
Level 4: 3 days (4 hrs/day)
Level 5/6: 4 days (4 hrs/day)
Level 7: 5 days (4 hrs/day)
Level 8+: 6 days (4 hrs/day)

Xcel Bronze: 2 days (2 hrs/day)
Xcel Silver+: 3 days (3 hrs/day)

I know our gym does 3 day/4 hours for Level 4. I also know our optional girls are there 5-6 days a week.

Our Acro team is 3 days a week, 3 hour practices. Our elite trio often does an additional weekend day practice of 3-4 hours, but it's not every week. Also our lower level compulsories (levels 5 and 6 in Acro) do two days a week.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back