Nutrition & Diet For Gymnasts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The following thread is a collection of articles about nutrition, some specifically for gymnasts or ateletes. If you have others to add please PM them to me and I will add them.

Weighing in with Nutrition Nutirion for gymnasts

Healthy Weight and the Olympic Gymnasts at Building Nutrition & Fitness An article about Olympic gymnasts nutriton.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18824577 Nourishing a young athelete.

http://www.nuval.com/ NUtritonal scoring system. A great concept that makes shopping and eating so much easier. Foods are all rated from 100-1. The best being brocolli at 100 and the worst being soda at 1. I love the concept of food value rather than fat, carbs, calories etc.

Last edited:
Dang the NuVal link is busted, I was really curious to see that one. I think the concept of food values far outweighs vague pyramids. I may be too skeptical regarding the topic, but I wonder how much of the food pyramid suggestions are industrially driven rather than scientifically.

NuVal Link

Dang the NuVal link is busted, I was really curious to see that one. I think the concept of food values far outweighs vague pyramids. I may be too skeptical regarding the topic, but I wonder how much of the food pyramid suggestions are industrially driven rather than scientifically.

try this link:

Homepage | Nuval

Where's the all ice-cream diet? Hee hee! :) :) :)

Ok, seriously, I'm more aware of eating and eating issues ever since oldest dd has been involved in a production about eating disorders called "Eat: It's Not About Food," which includes an open discussion after each performance with eating disorder experts. (The play already ran, but they will be touring schools, etc, this year. I digress, though . . .)

Anyway, something that struck me that the experts said is that all foods should be neutral. Yes, gymmies especially need to make sure that they are eating substantial, energy-giving foods, and should probably limit sugar intake the day(s) before a meet, but to not focus on it. Basically, keep your home supplied with mostly nutritious food, present appropriate meals as suggested in the articles, and let it be!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back