Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Other

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Barack my world!!! :D

I'm actually excited this year because how Indiana votes could be important to the election for maybe the first time ever. We're usually a republican state, but Obama is gaining lots of momentum here depending on what part of the state you are in. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. The local polls show at least 11% as still undecided, so who knows what will happend.

I'm actually excited this year because how Indiana votes could be important to the election for maybe the first time ever. We're usually a republican state, but Obama is gaining lots of momentum here depending on what part of the state you are in. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. The local polls show at least 11% as still undecided, so who knows what will happend.

Yay swing states! I've even seen recent polls that have Obama up by 1% in IN. I'm a pessimist and still think that McCain will win IN, but it's nice to feel important in an election. Obama is pretty big in Indy from what I hear, and I'm sure he'll do well in the Chicago suburbs and in Bloomington. I do wish that IN hadn't lost my voter registration forms, but at least I can still vote in another swing state.

Now the surveys... I really don't trust them; I think they're over-simplified, and the questions are too broad. There is rarely a choice for "more than one of the above" or "none of the above" or "a combination of this and that." A lot of the online political surveys seem to indicate that I am the next coming of Karl Marx. Once I even matched Dennis Kucinich with about 90% accuracy, LOL. I really don't think I'm THAT liberal...

I don't talk about my political affiliation with kids since I doubt anyone of them care....

Actually, I disagree with this statement. Some of us actually do care. Maybe it's just because I'm smart and tend to hang out with the smart-kids who actually find this stuff interesting. I know A LOT Of young people who are in college care quite a bit about what is going on in our country though.

I know many people say that young peoples' opinions don't count, and that we shouldn't be allowed to vote until we've had a real job, and so on. Shame on them, we have just as much right to vote as they do once we turn 18.

I too agree with everyone that says you should not be a one-issue voter though. Everyone should make an informed decision. And if you need to sort out your issues and put one over the other, think about what will affect you the most. These days, most people are thinking about the economic situation more then some of the other "wedge issues" that were big in 2000 or 2004.

In my HS's mock election, Obama won a huge landslide victory with 81% of the vote.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think gymdog was referring to younger kids at the gym... not like 16-year-olds and 17-year-olds. I don't mind discussing politics with kids who are under 18, but it's rather pointless below a certain age when they haven't formed opinions of their own and rely on what their parents have told them. As long as they're old enough to understand the main issues and discuss them intelligently, I think it's fair game to discuss politics. However, I don't really think it's appropriate to initiate these conversations when you're in a position of power, and I avoid discussing politics while coaching or tutoring.

good points gymkat. I actually had a political discussion (more like just asked who she wanted to be president) with my 8 year old cousin. Her response? "I like John McCain, cuz I want a girl vice president" It was pretty cute :)

Actually, I disagree with this statement. Some of us actually do care. Maybe it's just because I'm smart and tend to hang out with the smart-kids who actually find this stuff interesting. I know A LOT Of young people who are in college care quite a bit about what is going on in our country though.

I am 19, I don't really consider teenagers "kids" but I will rephrase that I do not think the 3-8 year old children I primarily work with care to hear my political opinions and I am too busy herding them to really care myself. Certainly I talk with 16 year olds about politics, I have mid-teen friends and siblings.

I don't mind discussing politics with kids who are under 18, but it's rather pointless below a certain age when they haven't formed opinions of their own and rely on what their parents have told them. As long as they're old enough to understand the main issues and discuss them intelligently, I think it's fair game to discuss politics. However, I don't really think it's appropriate to initiate these conversations when you're in a position of power, and I avoid discussing politics while coaching or tutoring.

Politics is such a huge subject that it is simply not possible to learn it all when it becomes age appropriate. I view it a bit like *** education. With my 4 kids (7 - 14) I have not started with a massive biology text book full of icky drawings and pictures but I kind of eke out bits of information to them as young children and over time I have built up the depth of the information they have. I always answer and respond to the types of questions that arise. When they dont ask any more at that time, then I dont tell them any more ie no information overload.

My second youngest (9) has been watching with great interest the tv coverage of the this past year's candidacy selection process in the US and was, in fact, this morning watching the Sky television interviews with Obama. You are probably quite right about the fact that he only knows what I have told him but I am hoping that he will be able to use this as a set of "hooks" ie will be able to hang other information that he gathers onto the political info that he has already been given and will be able to build up his own opinions over time. I also try and teach them to be open to other points of view. I always read a UK newspaper which is quite opposed politically to where I am. I find that it challenges my thoughts.

I would encourage you to talk to young children about it, although I definitely agree with your point about not doing it when you are in a position of authority (unless you are a politics lecturer!) Even if you dont think that the conversation is meaningful as they dont really have their own opinions yet, just see it as sowing seeds into a young life. If they just take on board the fact that you have an interest and an opinion, I think that is good.

PS He thinks Obama is going to win!!

Well we won't know until tonight, so let's all calm down and not panic and not jump to conclusions and not get hyper and not get to serious and not yell at each other and not fight and not throw views in everyone faces and not get nervous and not get hyper and not get.....AH!!!!!!!!!!!! GIVE US THE RESULTS ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!! yeesh....

I voted for McCain. It's supposed to be close here in Indiana. I can't wait for the results to start coming in.

I would encourage you to talk to young children about it, although I definitely agree with your point about not doing it when you are in a position of authority (unless you are a politics lecturer!) Even if you dont think that the conversation is meaningful as they dont really have their own opinions yet, just see it as sowing seeds into a young life. If they just take on board the fact that you have an interest and an opinion, I think that is good.

I think it is great if parents or mentors speak to the children who they specifically guide in life in an educational fashion about politics and political procedures. But I don't have mainstream views on a lot of things and I am paid to teach gymnastics.

Watching the NBC coverage of the election polls. The senate races are also going on. This is SO going to be exiciting! I'll keep you all updated though :)

At gym with general staff, parents, and the kids there are 3 things I don't talk about...at least.

1. Religion.

2. My personal relationships

3. Money. Most employers require that you don't discuss your hourly wages or salary with other staff members.

~ the last being politics. That will depend if it's worth talking about to the people but typically if you see the above 3 you'll see I try not to talk about anything too substantial or prone to causing trouble or leaking out the private details of my personal life. I bend this rule when it comes to parents or staff I am on really good terms with and consider friends. I cause enough problems by what I don't say at times that I don't need to state my opinion and cause more, heheh.

Then again, sometimes the Socrates in me likes to get people to substantiate their beliefs and opinions and crush them if they are based on erroneous logic and systems of belief. Hence another good reason not to openly talk so much.

Gymdog, I generally harbor that same feeling as a coach. As an educator, role model, and mentor I will go into topics to disseminate thought process of said gymnasts or younger or other staff without explicitly stating mine. Being vague is awesome and the key. Besides, it's fun.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back