Coaches Occasional coaching in a Martial Arts School

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

coachkazoo

Coach
Proud Parent
Hi coaches. I've been asked if I could come and teach kids and adults how to do handstands. I've been thinking of perhaps coming every two weeks for 15 min and teaching progressions.

Has anyone ever done this? And how do I charge the school? I feel like I can't charge for an hour of gymnastics because I'm only coming for a bit but I'm starting to wonder whether I can teach them handstands at all...in just a few 15 min stints!

Ask for something in trade perhaps.

4x15m sessions is 1hr/month. Maybe a discounted rate on tuition if you have a child going there or know a friend going there.

Or just coach it out of joy, maybe.

Occasionally my sensei in my MA group taps me on the shoulder when he wants us to do some HS work or Handspring/Flip work. Generally it's probably not more than 15 minutes so I just help out and get some laughs.

If you're part of the group you should do it as a part of the group. Karma that......

If you were sought out and asked then you should ask an amount that reflects the time it takes to plan, drive to and from, and teach for 15 minutes that will likely stretch to 20-25 minutes. It's really not so much a matter of the time you spend there. What you really have to be compensated for is having your day's schedule set up to accommodate their wish to learn handstands.

Hi coaches. I've been asked if I could come and teach kids and adults how to do handstands. I've been thinking of perhaps coming every two weeks for 15 min and teaching progressions.

Has anyone ever done this? And how do I charge the school? I feel like I can't charge for an hour of gymnastics because I'm only coming for a bit but I'm starting to wonder whether I can teach them handstands at all...in just a few 15 min stints!

In 15 minutes, you're just showing them the way. Most likely only the ones that practice on their own will learn handstands.

It might be a good idea to let them know the importance of the progressions in helping them learn faster. Basically, tell them how they'll have better progress and better results if they practice their progressions and handstands every day rather than just the handstands.
What progressions are you planning to use?

Thanks everyone. Good ideas. I think I'll just do it for fun even though they sought me out and I really have no connections to them. I was just going to teach a couple of progressions each time. First class, maybe a lunge and lunge with one leg lift/kick. Next class walking up the wall (back to wall)....maybe kick up with a tummy on block...I'd see how their rolls are too for safe exit. I will definitely be telling them they have to practice on their own...Thanks again!

I actually have a couple of classes at my son's taekwondo . I also help teach their demo team to tumble. Since the floor isn't the softest in the world, I brought a mat to work on rolls. The owner got a larger mat for bigger skills. It is fun to work on the skills in a different environment. when they get to cartwheels, i tell them to break a (pretend) board with their back foot.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back