WAG Odds of College Gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymRat

Gymnast
Hello ChalkBucket,
I am a 16-year-old level 6 gymnast. I started gymnastics almost two years ago, and absolutely fell in love with the sport. It is my biggest regret that I didn't start earlier, but I can't change that, so instead I work extremely hard and am very dedicated. It is my dream to do (preferably NCAA) gymnastics in college.
What do you think the odds of walking on to a Division I team are? (I know that scholarships are likely out of the question.) I am currently a new level 6, but there is a possibility that I could skip 6 and compete 7 next season if I work hard over the summer. I am extremely, extremely hard working, and am in the gym every weekday, usually about 15-20 hours per week.
What do you think the odds are of me being able to compete in college? I know that NAIGC is an option, but I would sooooo much rather compete NCAA and I have the drive to get there if it's possible.
Another question:
If I were not ready to walk on to a team as a freshman in college, is there any way that a college team would let me train with them and maybe join the team later in college? I know that they look for good level 9s and 10s, but I really, really want this.
Thanks for reading and I appreciate your feedback!

If you do not get on a college team, you could (if schedules allow) compete on a private team while in college. Also look at videos of D2 and D3 NCAA teams and compare your skill level to theirs.

You never know what can happen if you work hard! Division I may be out of reach, but if you get to be a strong level 9, Division III is a possibility.

I think Division III could be do-able, as long as everything between now and then goes well and you stay healthy. If college gymnastics is on your mind you should ask your coach because they know your gymnastics and you best, and they can help you with it along the way.

If you do not get on a college team, you could (if schedules allow) compete on a private team while in college. Also look at videos of D2 and D3 NCAA teams and compare your skill level to theirs.
Just curious what you mean by a private team? Just through a club?

Yes, just through a club in the same city as your college. You would still have to pay tuition but some college students have done it.

As a 16 yr old level 6 (or even 7) ,I would say it is extremely unlikely that you will compete on a Division 1 team in college...not to say you couldn't compete on a club team at a college (lots of colleges have them) but the fact is many a former level 10 on a D1 college team does not compete as they are always fighting for line up spots so I just don't see how, at this late stage of the game, it would happen for D1....

I am curious about what a div 2 or 3 college would look for in a gymnast. My DD has said that she wants to do college gym. I am not sure how serious she is, but she is a HS freshman level 7 (14 years old for the entire season). What kinds of skills should she be looking have and by when? What level and by when? Thanks!!

I never say never for a good reason. I've seen kids end up walking on who didn't "get serious" until they were about the same age as you. I've even seen kids who appeared to have less than average talent that went on to full scholarhships at D1 and D2 schools.

The only way they did it was through hard work, so work as had as you can and see where that takes you.

Congrats on your progress Gymrat! It sounds like you are at a great gym that is giving you the hours and coaching that you want. Getting to level 6 in only a few years is a great accomplishment, and you should be proud. Your work ethic will serve you well in and out of the gym.

If you really love the sport, and want to stay involved, perhaps you could focus your efforts on being prepared to coach. Someone with your passion for the sport would probably be a great coach. Pick a college with a strong program in exercise science or physical education or a related field. Get involved with a local club, and see if you can coach beginners and start to get some experience. Consider taking the exams to become a judge. With your willingness to work hard, you could have a successful career that would last many, many years!

It sounds like you've made great progress but I don't think Div 1 is a likely possibility. However, you can definitely keep training. Even being competitive in NAIGC requires a level 9 skill level, so even if you do level 7 and 8 in high school, you'd still be challenged to upgrade for NAIGC.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back