WAG Off Balance

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

armbmom

Proud Parent
Has anyone read it yet? I just finished it today and am really surprised by a number of things. What does everyone else think?

Haven't read it yet, I'm actually reading another book right now, but I have heard a few things in regards to it. I do plan to eventually read it though. Did you enjoy the book? Did you find it to be a good read?

I read the teaser for it and also am interested to know your thoughts on the book? Is it worth reading?

I read it the day it was released. It was hard to put down. I thought it was a very good read but I think people are going to be very opinionated about it.

I'm reading it now, but I haven't really gotten to the heavy stuff yet. Dominique Moceanu tends to be kind of a controversial figure (in the gymnastics world anyhow) so I'm sure there will be plenty of opinions.

I thought it was a really interesting book. If the things that she says are true, it is also very disturbing. I also find that what occurred with Chellsie Memmel sounds very similar to what Dominique went through when she attempted her comeback in 2006. It will be interesting to see what is said about the book in the gymnastics community as the Olympics get started and the Karolyi's are in the spotlight again.

I read the book in two days. Had a hard time putting it down. I really enjoyed it. She does paint the Karolyi's in a very unflattering light, but I also think she does a good job of explaining how her father's old school Romainian mentality, combined with Bela Karolyi's same menatality created somewhat of a powder keg for her. She does a good job explaining that these were her experiences because of the Karolyi's nature and because her parents were unwilling to stop it, and actually, largely supported it. She mentions the parents of another Karolyi gymnast stepping in and insisting that that the Karolyi's treat their daughter better (and the Karolyi's complied), as well as individual coaches of some of her "magnificent seven" teammates who stood up to the Karolyi's with regard to the Karolyi's treatmeant of their gymnasts. It seems that the karolyi's largely did whtat they are allowed to get away with and unfortunately, Dominique's parents seemed to let them get away with an awful lot!

Well, I finished reading it. Speaking from a literary point of view, I don't think it was as well written as Chalked Up, but Dominique's story is sad and compelling. I wish she'd had a better ghost writer or an editor to polish up her prose a bit.

But, iffy writing aside, the story was engaging. Her father was a real piece of work and it does sound like the Karolyi's felt like their shared background made for a situation where her dad and Bela fed off of each other. It was also heartbreaking to read about her being torn away from beloved coaches again and again, having really no control at all over her own training.

Also, I am not one who is quick to judge the Karolyi's, but if what she said about her later treatment from Marta is true, I'm not impressed. "What Olympics were you in again?" From someone who coached you for 4 years? That's pretty cold!

I haven't read it yet, but I do intend to read it. I will say that I have read just about every book and magazine article (including Bela's biography, Little Girl's in Pretty Boxes, gymnast biographies, watched Romanian documentaries on youtube, etc) and kept up with all the media over the years. I will honestly be surprised if I read something that I didn't already hear before. Dom has spoke out on many occasions prior to this book being written and I imagine the book will mostly be a compilation of that.

I agree with the poster who spoke about the writing of the book. It was NOT good and came across very amateurish. The jumps in topics and thoughts could happen in very jarring manners.

I don't know how I feel about the content. I have always loved DM and her DWDTG floor routine remains one of my all time favorites. But I also find the Karolyi's hold on USAG to be disconcerting. I like balance of power and it doesn't seem like that exists right now and that MK, and by extension, BK have the primary vote on all issues.

Right now on DM's blog there is a picture of Kelly, MK, and BK looking over some papers on the final night of the Trials. Her caption/blog post stated something like "since when are Kim Kelly and Bela Karolyi on the selection committee?" She has a point.

If the contents of the book are true, it makes me very sad because it casts a pall on my memories of those Olympics and DM's Olympic experience.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back