Parents off topic, does your gym have a Christmas party?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our gym does a Christmas party every year, this year it's just two days before Christmas. They have a talent show, pizza, and fun and games, and they give each gymnast a gift (this is actually included in our obligation fees, but it's still nice)

My DD made up a song for the talent contest:

Meet season is coming to town! (of course to Santa Clause is coming to town)
You better watch out, you better not fall
five tenths deduction won't medal at all...
meet season is coming to town

I can't find my grips, where is the chalk
here comes (insert coaches name) to give me a talk!
Meet season is coming to town!

So keep those toes pointed, and keep your elbows straight
You won't be disappointed, in fact you'll do just great!

You better work hard, conditioning then, if you want to earn a perfect "10"
Meet season is coming
Meet season is coming
Meet season is coming...to TOWN!

She and her friends got matching warm ups and cami's to wear, along with little tinsel hair scrunchies.

Hopefully I will get it on video!
Snowbound

Oh, that's really cute. What a creative dd you have! Our gym has a party too for the girls. I think they usually do pizza & then they do a gift exchange, games and open gym time too.

our gym has a party!
They do a Candy kiss hunt , gym games, a present opening (last year each girl brought a wrapped gift and they drew a number out and that was the order they picked

Love the song ,thats great!!!!

Cute! The team has a Christmas party after practice during Christmas break--the girls pick secret santas (earlier this week) and give little gifts each week, then a bigger gift at the party. I think they play fun games too--not really sure.

Aw that's cute. Our gym usually has a great xmas party, but this year somehow I am not sure it will work as we have a meet on the 19/2o Dec which is the Saturday right before xmas and means that the girls, who normally don't have their first meet until Feb, are desperately trying to get ready. We don't train for the two xmas weeks at all, we love to go back rusty in Jan!!!

Normally we have a gift exchange, crazy group song/dance routines, fun food etc.

Yes, the gym has a party one day the week between Christmas & New Year's, it will be after practice one day. The girls team has a meet the weekend of 1/2&1/3, so they really won't cut into practice for the party.

LOVE THE SONG!!!!!

I hope you get it on video - would love to see / hear it!

Yes, we have a party too.

Love her song !!!!!

Our gym has a team Christmas party. They do a secret Santa (already chose names). Everyone brings a dish to share. We play games watch movies & sleep over in the gym.

Our gym has a xmas party the wk before xmas. They eat, play games, exchange gifts, us moms put together an awesome dance to perform for the girls every year...they really look forward to it! Santa also comes and gives the girls there gifts from the gym! The girls always have a blast!

Alex's gym has a Christmas Lock-In on the 12th this year! They play games and have pizza and open gym all night long!! They also do a gift exchange (everyone brings a $10.00 gift and they play rob your neighbor). The girls always look forward to it!

How do you play rob your neighbor??? We have done secret santa in the past, and even though the kids love it, someone always ends up in tears bc they dont get anything bc their secret santa either forgets, is sick, etc. Im looking for something new thats still fun but is fair to all.

Great song!!

Yes, DDs gym has a Christmas party. They are learning a dance routine in dance to show off at the party. It is at the gym and a potluck. They also do a big sister/little sister gift exchange. Should be fun.

I am not sure what happens at her party if the person supposed to give you a gift isn't there. I guess you keep what you got them? Who knows. I do not like the rob your neighbor game (I imagine it is like the white elephant gift exchange). Little kids have a hard time with it as well. I prefer a number system. All incoming gifts are numbered. You then draw a number and get that gift and that is yours.

I think the parties are fun to just see all the gymmies in regular clothes with their hair down!

How do you play rob your neighbor??? We have done secret santa in the past, and even though the kids love it, someone always ends up in tears bc they dont get anything bc their secret santa either forgets, is sick, etc. Im looking for something new thats still fun but is fair to all.

I have found that just having everyone bring a gift under $XX dollar limit to the party. When they get there, a number is placed on the gift and a matching number in a hat. After all the gifts are in, have them draw a number from the hat and that is their gift. Game over. No hard feelings.

I posted the link to the White Elephant game in my previous post. Some really enjoy that game, but younger team kids might not enjoy it, get sad because "their" present was taken away, etc. I have a really bad memory from playing that game and still hate playing it. I was in 5th grade and we didn't have much money. I had gotten something we could never buy and my dad wouldn't have bought had we had the money. They were "in" at the time and I wanted it soo bad. A girl that already had tons of them (they were those plastic bracelets with charms) took it from me and I got something yucky. I was so sad. Silly, but I STILL hate that game. :D

Yes we are having a Christmas Party at the gym.

On a totally unrelated note we are also having Midget's birthday party at the gym. Hmmm, we spend a lot of time there. ;)

Rob your neighbor is like the white elephant game however we do not unwrap them so no one knows what is in the package until the end of the game and then it is unwrapped. The price limit is $10.00 so ususally it all works out and no one is too upset. It is just like anything else because someone is always going to be disappointed no matter what game is played with gifts. I agree that Secret Santa only works if everyone brings something. Good luck trying to find the right game to play. Somethimes i think it would be best to leave gifts out of it completely.

Last edited:
Alexsgymmymom- That sounds like a much better way to play it! Anytime I have had to play it we have to unwrap it and then the competition is on with people trying to get things, etc. That is when it can get ugly and feelings hurt, etc, which is of course not the intent behind the gift exchange. LOL. Great idea!

Mariposa, I have played it that way as well. I think it only works if everyone brings a gag gift then it is funny to play. Works best with adults that understand that the concept of the game is not to get the best gift but to get the craziest gift !!

our gym does the party thing with the whole secret santa gift exchange...food is brought by parents. The roster is broken into three parts and each part is assigned a type of food to bring.....

However.....the downside to the party is that they rent out the local Skating Rink!....... I have to tell you as a mom this scares me more than the hi-beam. I mean....where are the mats! The floor and the walls are concrete! My daughter may be graceful in the gym but put her on wheels and it is a whole other story!

I forgot to mention...the no fear factor she has!

Last edited:
This year, we had a Holiday Party at a local park for the girls and all their family. Everyone had a blast. But it was right before Thanksgiving, so we have decided to have a slumber party at the gym for the girls. They will be presented with the gifts from the coaches and board members, and then the girls will be presenting their gifts to the coaches. The girls are all excited. They get to have some fun at the gym with all their gym buddies.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back