Official Team Posted

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I see your point -- but Simone was writing in the singular -- "alternate" not "alternates." Plus, if she was referring to the non-traveling alternates she could have named them since its public knowledge. I do think she was talking about the traveling alternate and I suspect Marta has told them who it is going to be barring some last minute shake up in the event of surprises at podium training.

The question was pretty specific - What will you do if Maggie is chosen as the alternate?

Answer: She's not, we already have the alternate.

Hard to interpret that as anything other than the girls knowing who is slated to not compete (barring injury obviously).

I believe there is some ambiguity possible. The term used was "alternate" without specifying traveling or non-traveling alternate. It did seem obvious to me that Simone was referring to the traveling alternate, but it is not impossible that she meant the non-traveling alternates.

Its not just injury that Marta is looking for at this stage. Brenna in particular is so inconsistent that Marta may well be watching her even into podium training to decide if she wants her to compete.

Sorry!!!! I was on a conference call and watching while I typed. Bad form :( She's not watching podium training. She was weirdly placed in the order of the events as last which made me think that she could be alternate. Or I have no idea what I am talking about.

Sure looks like the lineup used in podium training is Marta's lineup for qualifying. Simone was 5th on fx, vt and beam, which would make her anchor for those events, Madison 5th on ub. If that's the case, that would mean Simone, Aly, Maggie and Gabby will all do AA in qualifying, Brenna vt/fx and Madison bb/ub.

Could also mean we have a hint at which 3 will go on each event in team finals(3rd,4th and 5th athletes in podium training lineup).
VT - Aly/Maggie/Simone
UB - Gab/Simone/Madi
BB - Maggie/Aly/Simone
FX - Maggie/Aly/Simone

Is anyone else surprised they'd take Brenna and not have her go bars?
Yes, it does. BUT if Brenna does UB, Maggie, Gabi or Aly would have to sit out UB in qualifying. Maybe Marta wants to give all three a fair shot at that second AA spot, since they are so close. And maybe Brenna hasn't shown enough consistency on the event to warrant sitting out one of three.

From Brenna's interview it would seem she is doing bars. It would make more sense that they are deciding between Aly and Maggie over who will lead off on bars/ be the third gymnast doing all around.
Though Maggie's bars are better, I think Aly is the better all-arounder right now and would expect her to get the spot.

I think on this team, no Amanar = no AA. And Brenna on bars in team final makes a lot of sense to me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back