WAG Oh and thanks USAG

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 14190

Thanks for telling us with plenty of notice that our 18 year old seniors (girls) have to take the SAFE SPORT COURSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have 4 And it's due in a few days!!!!!!! No notice!!!!! Will we EVER have competency in USAG???? Not at this rate. Apparently having girl gymnasts take the safe sport course is the answer.....

It is the girls and the guys. The short notice is absurd and shows a complete lack of consideration to how schedules work for these kids. But, it is my understanding that blame for this one lies with Safe Sport, not USAG. I did see a FB post where someone said that it wouldn't actually be checked for a month, but IMO, if that is the case, then they should have said it is due in a month. And USAG should have pushed back and said it is an unreasonable timeframe.

Yes, USAG definitely dropped the ball on this one, but the deadline has been extended clarified. Compliance will be checked after 4/23. Everyone should try to get it done before your regional championships.

KRC

Yes, USAG definitely dropped the ball on this one, but the deadline has been extended clarified. Compliance will be checked after 4/23. Everyone should try to get it done before your regional championships.

KRC
Do you have. Link to that ? Thank you in advance

@coachp here you go...

So my kids can’t get into account because it under parents name .... any suggestions

My opinion is that if the athlete is still in high school, this shouldn’t be required. I totally understand if they have graduated because clubs usually don’t compete gymnasts that have graduated unless they are elite. Club gymnastics usually ends with high school graduation. And I still wonder what they require of the kids in regards to social media and driving their friends or hanging out with them. Anyone’s 18-yr-old taken it yet who can reply?

My opinion is that if the athlete is still in high school, this shouldn’t be required. I totally understand if they have graduated because clubs usually don’t compete gymnasts that have graduated unless they are elite. Club gymnastics usually ends with high school graduation. And I still wonder what they require of the kids in regards to social media and driving their friends or hanging out with them. Anyone’s 18-yr-old taken it yet who can reply?

On the other thread about this, someone posted the difference between the athlete course and the coach course. The athlete one is mainly about reporting, not about all the rules that coaches have to follow.

The law doesn't care what grade one is in. 18 year olds are in control of their own consent when it comes to contracts etc. Athletes turning 18 would have been registered by their parents when they were minors, with their parents affirming consent(I think the athlete registeration document even mentions now that families should report abuse when it is seen). I understand why(even when it comes to insurance issues, the same way we no longer have unfettered access to our kids medical records when they turn 18) USAG would want 18 year old athletes to confirm. Have no idea why they didn't consider this before now.

The requirements for a professional and athlete membership are different, the social media etc rules don't apply to athletes, but the requirement of reporting abuse when one sees it does.

I turn 18 right after my state but before regionals. Do I have to take it right after my birthday to go to regionals (if I qualify)? Not sure if it would count if I took it now since I am still 17?

I turn 18 right after my state but before regionals. Do I have to take it right after my birthday to go to regionals (if I qualify)? Not sure if it would count if I took it now since I am still 17?
That is an excellent question that I don't think they have clarified. I definitely think you need to take it before Regionals, but I am not sure if completing the course at 17 will accomplish what Safesport wants, since a minor can't really be held responsible for any commitments they make. I would log on now and see if it lets you do it.

That is an excellent question that I don't think they have clarified. I definitely think you need to take it before Regionals, but I am not sure if completing the course at 17 will accomplish what Safesport wants, since a minor can't really be held responsible for any commitments they make. I would log on now and see if it lets you do it.
I think I just registered for it, but there was no confirmation or anything. Not sure if I want to take it before my birthday though in case I have to redo it. Last year my birthday was the same day I competed at state. Glad that’s not the case this year as I would be very confused!!

The quick answer from Indy is yes - however they are working on a way to allow 17yo's to take the test early (before turning 18) so that they may become compliant.:

"Question was: What about the athlete who is turning 18 after the March 23 deadline and before E/W and JO Nationals?

As it relates to those who are 17 right now, who will be turning 18 soon, we are working on communication to notify the parents that their child to begin to complete the course prior to the 18th birthday. The US Center for SafeSport has stated that all 18 year old’s must complete the course .
At this time, due to federal law, NGB’s cannot allow a 17 year old to complete the course with parental consent. USA Gymnastics is quickly working to develop a consent waiver for the course that can be provided to parents of 17 year old athletes, so that the 17 year old athlete will have the opportunity to complete the course prior to their 18th birthday.

The goal is to have this communication out in the coming days."

KRC

The quick answer from Indy is yes - however they are working on a way to allow 17yo's to take the test early (before turning 18) so that they may become compliant.:

"Question was: What about the athlete who is turning 18 after the March 23 deadline and before E/W and JO Nationals?

As it relates to those who are 17 right now, who will be turning 18 soon, we are working on communication to notify the parents that their child to begin to complete the course prior to the 18th birthday. The US Center for SafeSport has stated that all 18 year old’s must complete the course .
At this time, due to federal law, NGB’s cannot allow a 17 year old to complete the course with parental consent. USA Gymnastics is quickly working to develop a consent waiver for the course that can be provided to parents of 17 year old athletes, so that the 17 year old athlete will have the opportunity to complete the course prior to their 18th birthday.

The goal is to have this communication out in the coming days."

KRC
Thank you!! This is very helpful.

Reactions: krc
What about athletes that are already coaches or judges? Will they have to take this athlete specific course?

Just trying to wrap my head around this ... once 18 kids (now adults ) are forced to learn about predator tactics ,,,,, but not when they are a child ..... got it . Meanwhile..... people still Out there in plain sight

Just trying to wrap my head around this ... once 18 kids (now adults ) are forced to learn about predator tactics ,,,,, but not when they are a child ..... got it . Meanwhile..... people still Out there in plain sight

I think, up until that point, it is the job of the parents. NGB cannot require it, as they are children. Parents should be teaching this to them. (and I know that some do, some do not, but we cannot dictate what parents teach).

Once they are 18, and adults, they must sign and agree for themselves. Up until then, the parents have signed and agreed to all of this. (not with the course, but just with the paperwork).

I get that it seems quick, and sudden, but really, it does make sense.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back