WAG Oh and thanks USAG

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What about athletes that are already coaches or judges? Will they have to take this athlete specific course?
I think there is just one Safesport course for all. But 16 and 17 year old coaches and judges are technically junior professional members which has different requirements. They must be accompanied by a full pro. They don’t have to get background checks because minors records are private and don’t have to take Safesport, just U100 course and Safety certification. So they would have to upgrade to regular professional members when they turn 18 anyway. But if they are already full 18 year old pro members they should be fine.

The quick answer from Indy is yes - however they are working on a way to allow 17yo's to take the test early (before turning 18) so that they may become compliant.:

"Question was: What about the athlete who is turning 18 after the March 23 deadline and before E/W and JO Nationals?

As it relates to those who are 17 right now, who will be turning 18 soon, we are working on communication to notify the parents that their child to begin to complete the course prior to the 18th birthday. The US Center for SafeSport has stated that all 18 year old’s must complete the course .
At this time, due to federal law, NGB’s cannot allow a 17 year old to complete the course with parental consent. USA Gymnastics is quickly working to develop a consent waiver for the course that can be provided to parents of 17 year old athletes, so that the 17 year old athlete will have the opportunity to complete the course prior to their 18th birthday.

The goal is to have this communication out in the coming days."

KRC
Excellent info thanks for providing. But this does make me wonder even more why USAG wasn't ready for this. They have had 2 levels of pro membership for a while, junior for 16/17 and full for 18+, so have had to deal with these coaches and judges turning 18. What have they done in the past when 17 year olds turned 18 and needed to upgrade their membership? What if they had to judge/coach a meet the day after they turned 18? How did they get their Safesport and background check requirements done in time?

The timing on this is the most ridiculous and preposterous thing I've ever seen. Most L9 and L10 gymnasts are going to the gym, what 21-24 hours a week or more? And we all know gymnasts tend to be great students who take difficult classes. The USOC thought, hmmm.... 2 days in the middle of the school week ought to be plenty of time to get this done! Seriously, WTH??? I would be absolutely LIVID if this applied to my kid. And yeah, I get that they are now saying it doesn't have to be done until April 23rd, but that's not what happened a couple of days ago when it was announced and everyone was panicking about it!.

Also, I'm curious, because I can practically guarantee this is going to happen... what is the plan for when (not if) a newly turned 18 year old takes this course and realizes that she's been abused during/after the course. Has anyone at USOC or USAG thought about how to handle this situation? Many abuse victims do not even realize they have been abused (or are currently being abused) because of the grooming and manipulation.

There is literally 0 reason why this deadline couldn't have been May 20 (or better yet, May 27, so it has to be done within a week of returning from JO Nationals).

The timing on this is the most ridiculous and preposterous thing I've ever seen. Most L9 and L10 gymnasts are going to the gym, what 21-24 hours a week or more? And we all know gymnasts tend to be great students who take difficult classes. The USOC thought, hmmm.... 2 days in the middle of the school week ought to be plenty of time to get this done! Seriously, WTH??? I would be absolutely LIVID if this applied to my kid. And yeah, I get that they are now saying it doesn't have to be done until April 23rd, but that's not what happened a couple of days ago when it was announced and everyone was panicking about it!.

Also, I'm curious, because I can practically guarantee this is going to happen... what is the plan for when (not if) a newly turned 18 year old takes this course and realizes that she's been abused during/after the course. Has anyone at USOC or USAG thought about how to handle this situation? Many abuse victims do not even realize they have been abused (or are currently being abused) because of the grooming and manipulation.

There is literally 0 reason why this deadline couldn't have been May 20 (or better yet, May 27, so it has to be done within a week of returning from JO Nationals).
My level 10’s sat in the office for hours doing this (instead of training ) First they had to change the log in info because it was the parents .... stupidity at its finest yet again from USAG. Meanwhile .....

Just trying to wrap my head around this ... once 18 kids (now adults ) are forced to learn about predator tactics ,,,,, but not when they are a child ..... got it . Meanwhile..... people still Out there in plain sight
Couldn’t hurt to have the parents of minors take it.

Wouldn’t bother me........

But...........

Thanks for telling us with plenty of notice that our 18 year old seniors (girls) have to take the SAFE SPORT COURSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have 4 And it's due in a few days!!!!!!! No notice!!!!! Will we EVER have competency in USAG???? Not at this rate. Apparently having girl gymnasts take the safe sport course is the answer.....
Boys had to do it too

I think, up until that point, it is the job of the parents. NGB cannot require it, as they are children. Parents should be teaching this to them. (and I know that some do, some do not, but we cannot dictate what parents teach).

Once they are 18, and adults, they must sign and agree for themselves. Up until then, the parents have signed and agreed to all of this. (not with the course, but just with the paperwork).

I get that it seems quick, and sudden, but really, it does make sense.

It dies make sense, but the short deadline was ridiculous

My dd took it last night. It took more than 90 minutes for sure. It was a lot of talk about grooming tactics - something that really kids much younger should learn as well. Of course in an age appropriate way.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back