Parents ok... dumb dad question number #27

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Here goes.

In the upper levels of our club, all the girls wear these elastic bands around thier waist or hips. Apparently it's a mandatory thing. When I asked my wife about them, she said: "They are supposed to help against jelly bellies".

So...being the whitty-guy I am, I OF COURSE had to ask: "So... why aren't you wearing one then?" :D
slap.gif

But really! What do they do? How are they "supposed" to work? What's the theory.

So here is what I have gleaned about "belly Bands" (ugly name, but I didn't make it up).

Girls at some gyms wear them. They are worn to remind the girls to hold in their tummies when doing skills. I guess when your abs are tight, it helps keep the whole core tight.

Some coaches use them in other ways to help with skills, as in, around the arms when learning a BHS.

This is all I have ever heard, I would love to know more too, as they do look a bit odd when you first see them.

So did your wife hit you???

If the band is pointing down diagonally it means they are not performing a pelvic tilt. Squeeze your butt, suck your gut as I say even if they don't have any. This will keep the butt and tummy tight.

You can also slide them down to the ankles or knees to keep them from straddling.

<OUCH> I think I can hear your wife smacking you right thru the computer! Ditto to what everyone else said. They are a reminder for the girls to keep tight and "suck it in".

I have all my lower levels wear them. It reminds them to suck it in as someone mentioned. It also helps as a visual aid for the younger gymmies to kick as high as your belt or raise you leap leg as high etc.. (Yelling to hit vertical just doesnt cut it with the little ones.) Some of the girls wear them on their hip as well just as a reminder to keep those hips inline

Thats a hideous name. We dont call them that. I just call them your gymnastics belt. I use a different color elastic for each level and measure them and hand them out. The moms sew them. ( I would have thrown something at you!!) jk

my dd had to wear one when she first start competing - I don't know whether it helped her or not - but it was really funny watching all the girls with those things around their waist.

Here goes.

In the upper levels of our club, all the girls wear these elastic bands around thier waist or hips. Apparently it's a mandatory thing. When I asked my wife about them, she said: "They are supposed to help against jelly bellies".

So...being the whitty-guy I am, I OF COURSE had to ask: "So... why aren't you wearing one then?" :D
slap.gif

But really! What do they do? How are they "supposed" to work? What's the theory.

Oh Tim_Dad you do live dangerously:) I'm surprised you don't have a belly band around your neck by now!

We've been at 2 gyms and both train to L10/elite and neither uses the belly bands. I do see the coach tap my gymmie on the tummy occasionally as a reminder to tighten a certain area, but no bands.

Our gym doesn't use these, honestly I can't say I've even seen them before - but what I can say it that our coaches seem to do their own reminders of poking to the belly and tush. That seem to remind the girls, especially on beam and bars ;). It is not done in a bad way, but their methods seem to work!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back