Older starting.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi! I am 14 years old and want to start gymnastics. I am willing to work really hard. Will I be able to make it at the competitive level? or not. All input would be appreciated.

Never!

I started a year ago, and I was old for starting because there were like 7 year olds in my class, but now I'm a level 3! If you don't mind having a class with younger kids, I think you could be competitive. Let's get real, you probably aren't going to the Olympics, but how many people do???? If you go to a gym where they compete level 3, you could be competing within 1 year! Of course every gym is different and has different sessions and other stuff. My gym doesn't compete until level 5, so I have some time before I can compete. If you are willing to work hard, I think you would be able to compete at whatever extent you would like.

You certainly can compete! If you cant do the levels 4-10 competitively(though age wise it shouldn't be a problem), see if they will allow you to do prep op( if they have it) when you're ready to compete, that seems to be more geared towards older girls. Biggest thing is to ask the gym you're going to. Good luck and have fun!!

If you want to try it... go for it! There's a 12 year old girl who started gymnastics this year at my DD's gym - and she's competing Level 4 this season! In fact, she's got most of the Level 5 skills down too - so, in theory, she could compete that level before the end of the season. Good luck!

Thank you! I am going to try it! They have a class for older girls. and I know that Olympics isn't a reality. but whatever I wouldn't be able to meet the age requirement for the 2012 Olympics. I guess all I can do is try, and give it my all.

SURE YOU CAN, I'm 14 i started gym at the beginning of 2010 and im already level 4 once you start it you will fall in love and skills will come real quick. maybe you could do a recreational program like i do? we get to do a comp at the end of the yr too. goodluck :)

SURE YOU CAN, I'm 14 i started gym at the beginning of 2010 and im already level 4 once you start it you will fall in love and skills will come real quick. maybe you could do a recreational program like i do? we get to do a comp at the end of the yr too. goodluck :)
Thanks :) I think I may start on the 4th. i really want to do comps.. Im super competitive and i wouldn't enjoy without comps. If I get started on something I push hard to get further. and further until i'm at my goal.

i'm 14, too. i started last year, and i competed level four this season and going to level five in Feb. youre NOT too old. you should definitely do it! its so much fun competing :) you could try prep op if you feel uncomfortable with littler kids, alot of older girls compete prep opt and make up their own routines and stuff. they look like they have fun :p

And another plus side to starting older-you understand concepts better, therefore have a better chance of picking up skills sooner :)

I can tell you it is easily possible, I was the same age as you and started a rec class and stuck it out for about 6 weeks then found it ridiculously easy So went into competitive and competed level 4 that season (I started in summer so it was off season) good luck!

Wow all of you are so good. I started gym 2 months ago and I can't even get a decent cartwheel nor handstand yet. >.<

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back