Olympic hopeful training?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Out them here. Why not .
Geez. I’m chicken. Hints: One of them has a gazillion followers on Instagram run by the parents. The worst part @duyetanh is that they are pretending the child isn’t going to gym yet multiple people know that she is in fact going for workouts. This is In Georgia which is under shelter in place mandate.
One of my girls is recovering from pneumonia secondary to adenovirus and covid, so i feel extra hostile. To be fair, this kid isn’t the only one. I’ve heard from friends in other states that there are a few gyms doing small groups for kids training hopes. I suspect one of our gyms here is offering privates for her homeschool kids, but I can’t prove it. This was beginning of last week so I can only hope that these gyms stopped, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s still going on.

• Love
Reactions: sce
Yeah that irritates the hell out of my kid too. Even though she gets this is wrong, she feels it isn’t fair. I have tried to explain to her that life isn’t fair. She gets that. But she is still way pissed off about it. Especially when some girls just happen to post stuff on their Instagrams. I would think they would be wiser and not do this, because if my kid (who gets hardly any screen time per day) is noticing it, you can bet others are too. But it is not her gym, and it is not our business. It’s like how some small business that aren’t essential are staying open in our neck of the woods. It’s their call. It is their business. But it’s very frustrating for those who are adhering to the rules and guidelines that they have been given.

The instagrams will kill me. I need to stop looking. It’s worse now bc my 13 year old is on it more than ever and so am I due to the quarantine. Everyone has gone insane. There was a child doing cast handstands on her second floor bannister. Come on. That’s not even impressive. That’s just dumb. And yes, some are posting “in gym stuff” like real crazies. Glad to know Gymnastics takes precedence over the well-being of the entire world to these people. The parents should put a stop to it, but I guess it’s that life or death to them.
Like I said, I understand the elite gymnasts going in prior to the olympics being postponed, but this hopes business is totally different.

The instagrams will kill me. I need to stop looking. It’s worse now bc my 13 year old is on it more than ever and so am I due to the quarantine. Everyone has gone insane. There was a child doing cast handstands on her second floor bannister. Come on. That’s not even impressive. That’s just dumb. And yes, some are posting “in gym stuff” like real crazies. Glad to know Gymnastics takes precedence over the well-being of the entire world to these people. The parents should put a stop to it, but I guess it’s that life or death to them.
Like I said, I understand the elite gymnasts going in prior to the olympics being postponed, but this hopes business is totally different.
So when competitions really start again, and who knows when that is, I think there will be a clear distinction between those gymnasts that followed the quarantine and those that did not. I can't imagine the compulsory season even being put on with most likely gyms just getting going perhaps in June? or maybe later? How do you miss gym for 3 months and then get ready to compete perhaps in 3 months? Our gym owner has a general rule for every one week out from gymnastics it takes 2 weeks to get everything back. You can do the math in this case. The girls that come back and get almost perfect scores like nothing happened are probably the ones that trained in the gym during the outbreak or perhaps had a lot of home equipment. Either case it is going to be an interesting competition season once things get back to relative normalcy.

I saw an letter posted on Facebook from Oklahoma USAG that specifically said that gyms are to be closed and if they discover that ANY gym is inviting, encouraging or allowing gymnasts to come use the facility they WILL report the gym. I thought that was a strong stance and one that needs to be shared across all states.

Edit to add letter:

I saw an letter posted on Facebook from Oklahoma USAG that specifically said that gyms are to be closed and if they discover that ANY gym is inviting, encouraging or allowing gymnasts to come use the facility they WILL report the gym. I thought that was a strong stance and one that needs to be shared across all states.

Edit to add letter:
They should be reported to USAG. While my kid is way past TOPS, it irks me but would really bother me if she was around that age group. It’s not just unfair, it’s illegal and un safe. It probably is a Safe sport violation. Putting a minor competition, which TOPS is, ahead of the health of all.

So when competitions really start again, and who knows when that is, I think there will be a clear distinction between those gymnasts that followed the quarantine and those that did not. I can't imagine the compulsory season even being put on with most likely gyms just getting going perhaps in June? or maybe later? How do you miss gym for 3 months and then get ready to compete perhaps in 3 months? Our gym owner has a general rule for every one week out from gymnastics it takes 2 weeks to get everything back. You can do the math in this case. The girls that come back and get almost perfect scores like nothing happened are probably the ones that trained in the gym during the outbreak or perhaps had a lot of home equipment. Either case it is going to be an interesting competition season once things get back to relative normalcy.
Absolutely. I think it will be pretty clear who was going into the gym.
Agree @doublestrike . My oldest is level 9 and not doing TOPS or Hopes, but why is she any less "entitled" to get into the gym? And same with my younger level 8. Ridiculous. People do not understand how bad covid can be unless they are personally affected unfortunately.

I find it infuriating that some of the 9 and 10 year olds training "HOPES" are continuing to very discreetly go into their gyms to continue training in small groups in areas with shelter in place orders to get a leg up and not lose skills. Until the Olympics were postponed, I can't get too fired up about elites going in individually or in very small groups to train. I can understand the need for that.
Are you certain that they are in the gym and not just sharing old videos?

Are you certain that they are in the gym and not just sharing old videos?

It's a crappy situation all around and we can go back & forth about which gyms are bending the rules. I think at this point its better to accept that yes there's kids still getting an hour or more workout in secret each week then to keep dwelling on it. Is it right no - will it actually give them more advantage YEARS later down the road....NO.

And yes I know of a gym locally to me that's hosting privates and while there's a bit of jealously inside of me of those kids having a sense of normalcy versus mine who has been out of gym going on week 4. I let it go.

It's a crappy situation all around and we can go back & forth about which gyms are bending the rules. I think at this point its better to accept that yes there's kids still getting an hour or more workout in secret each week then to keep dwelling on it. Is it right no - will it actually give them more advantage YEARS later down the road....NO.

And yes I know of a gym locally to me that's hosting privates and while there's a bit of jealously inside of me of those kids having a sense of normalcy versus mine who has been out of gym going on week 4. I let it go.
I'll admit that if my daughters gym were offering private lessons I'd send her in a heartbeat but they aren't so she is doing her best to stay in shape at home. We broke down and ordered her an air track so she can at least do some basic tumbling.

I'll admit that if my daughters gym were offering private lessons I'd send her in a heartbeat but they aren't so she is doing her best to stay in shape at home. We broke down and ordered her an air track so she can at least do some basic tumbling.

Ditto about the private lesson/group workout if offered.
I never thought we would ever own such a device but honestly glad we purchased an air track last week.

Totally felt the same until one of my girls got extremely sick. It's not worth it. In your case, your daughter is already elite, and I completely sympathize about the lost time. I'm talking about TOPS/HOPES kids who were already in the gym many, many hours a week prior to the covid crisis getting individualized coaching. Ultimately, you are right @InbarSquirrel. It's not worth the unnecessary negative energy. This is short term gain, and it will probably all come out in the wash eventually.

Yeah that’s really messed up, USAG sent an email saying that the Hopes championship got rescheduled till late August or Sep. my my daughter last day in the gym was March 6th. Things like this isn’t right That girls are still practicing, we have a meeting with the coaches tomorrow and I’m going to bring this up.
When did that email go out? I don't see how they could rightfully still hold any Hopes championships without having had enough qualifiers. there are many girls that do the last qualifiers only and didn't get that opportunity. Besides at this point no way in heck they are holding those meets in Aug/Sept.

Geez. I’m chicken. Hints: One of them has a gazillion followers on Instagram run by the parents. The worst part @duyetanh is that they are pretending the child isn’t going to gym yet multiple people know that she is in fact going for workouts. This is In Georgia which is under shelter in place mandate.
One of my girls is recovering from pneumonia secondary to adenovirus and covid, so i feel extra hostile. To be fair, this kid isn’t the only one. I’ve heard from friends in other states that there are a few gyms doing small groups for kids training hopes. I suspect one of our gyms here is offering privates for her homeschool kids, but I can’t prove it. This was beginning of last week so I can only hope that these gyms stopped, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s still going on.
Ugh. And no I wouldn’t be surprised either.

Konnor McClain is still training, in groups of 5 or less, 25 hours per week (this according to an interview I read on twitter). She is the only elite at her gym so that means the other girls training are JO.

Konnor McClain is still training, in groups of 5 or less, 25 hours per week (this according to an interview I read on twitter). She is the only elite at her gym so that means the other girls training are JO.

That is interesting. Does she not live in a state with a stay-at-home order or closure of non-essential businesses?

That is interesting. Does she not live in a state with a stay-at-home order or closure of non-essential businesses?
She lives in WV, so yes, they have stay-at-home and closure orders. I just looked at their facebook page and they are running live classes since the gym is closed with Konnor and sometimes another gymnast demonstrating. They are obviously not hiding it so I assume it's OK per their state. Perhaps it's classified as a limited gathering in a confined space? I know that in MA, gatherings in confined spaces are limited to 10 people and outdoor gatherings are not limited. Perhaps if my DD was Konner her coach would let her in the gym too ;)

She lives in WV, so yes, they have stay-at-home and closure orders. I just looked at their facebook page and they are running live classes since the gym is closed with Konnor and sometimes another gymnast demonstrating. They are obviously not hiding it so I assume it's OK per their state. Perhaps it's classified as a limited gathering in a confined space? I know that in MA, gatherings in confined spaces are limited to 10 people and outdoor gatherings are not limited. Perhaps if my DD was Konner her coach would let her in the gym too ;)

Yeah, our state specifically shut down gyms, so that idea was out for anyone here. I just assumed other states had listed gyms in their orders as well.

The Russian rhythmic team have gone into lockdown in training.
LOL so guess they will be even further ahead of the rest of the world after this.
Irina believes her girls are safer with her training. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back