Olympic Judging

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

momofagymmie

It seems Shawn Johnson is suddenly not the golden girl. I don't get why at worlds and everywhere else for the last two years judges have scored her so well. She's been almost untouchable. I don't see too much of a difference in her performances. Now, suddenly, here at the Olympics, the judges don't like her style? :( What's with that?:confused: How confusing....

Yeah--I agree. It would have been more consistent if she hadn't competed internationally before and done well. But she has, and so now it suddenly seems like they are just not digging her style. Makes no sense.

It's frustrating because her "style" shouldn't have anything to do with it past whether or not she shows good artistry. It would be like in west coast swing dancing, if judges scored couples better that danced to blues music than couples who dance to contemporary music... it doesn't matter which music the use just that they dance well and it fits the music. Gymnastics artistry should be the same, as long as it's there you can like it or not. It's not a contest of which gymnast has a prettier smile, or anything else subjective like that so style of performance shouldn't matter that much either!

~Katy

As someone who hasn't fully grasped judging in gymnastics I am getting a little annoyed at the amount of deductions they have been taking off her routines compared to others. The beam during the AA was one of the most obvious, as well has her vault and even the uneven bars in that competition seemed a little off.
What do you think the chances are that she makes it to London?

I can't wait for London. I think things will be much more fair then as the judges won't be afraid of their host country.

I can't wait for London. I think things will be much more fair then as the judges won't be afraid of their host country.
Or the host country's team sucks so much they can't get away with gifting them. I'm so unpatriotic.

I think the judges were more niggly about the tiny things- like Shawn not making her splits, low heads, shoulders and knees during landings etc. I don't know. I thought the AA judging was very fair but the event finals and team were ridiculous at some points.

IMO i think that they judged pretty unfair in some events.
Shawn johnson did great! but i think she was underscored in some events.
its probably because she has wone so many competitions in the last 2 years that they probably wanted someone else to win.

Its true somethings may be unfair but the new scoring system is so weird that who really knows what is going on.

I think Shawn kind of lost her sparkle this year... maybe because she was competing against a field that was healthy enough to throw routines as big as hers? But having watched the Olympics again, I can see where the judges were coming from.

Cross over step on vault, catching her releases very close to the bars, not making her splits on beam or floor... and I detest her back tuck on beam. Its more of a back flung :eek:. Not that mines is any better, mind.

I think Shawn kind of lost her sparkle this year... maybe because she was competing against a field that was healthy enough to throw routines as big as hers? But having watched the Olympics again, I can see where the judges were coming from.

Cross over step on vault, catching her releases very close to the bars, not making her splits on beam or floor... and I detest her back tuck on beam. Its more of a back flung :eek:. Not that mines is any better, mind.
Back flung..lol.
My mom and I the other day were making fun of it..we were saying "Bad role model, Shawn! You're teaching gymmies not to set!".

Just to add, on beam in her first series, on every skill her legs came apart, she was just shy of handstands on bars, chest isn't up on back full on beam, and steps on dismounts.

Also, she didn't seem like her usual happy self during any of her routines. She made very little eye contact, barely smiled, and didn't really draw you in like some of the other gymnasts.

I can understand judges not digging her style. American gymnastics tends to be very "sharp" and tight, and Shawn - Nastia too, to a lesser extent - follow this artistry. American gymnasts often look a lot more like athletes than dancers as they perform their routines, while the Chinese and Romanians have a wonderful graceful, flowing quality to their routines (I'm talking floor and beam here).

International judges might score Shawn down because she does not fit their expectations of grace in a gymnast. I think this is perfectly acceptable - gymnastics is a peformance sport, and artistry is a huge part of it. Too often the dance aspect is overlooked.

American gymnasts often look a lot more like athletes than dancers as they perform their routines, while the Chinese and Romanians have a wonderful graceful, flowing quality to their routines (I'm talking floor and beam here).
I hope you mean the Romanians pre 1992 when you call them graceful. The current crop have some of the ugliest high scoring gym around on the international level. The Romanian beam style is known to be rather choppy and staccato. Russian or Ukraine would be a better fit.

Nastia was a more complete gymnast in the end, long lines and full extension of everything. She one of the few truly artistic gymnasts left. Nastia and Valeri made a decision to try and maintain artistry and include different elements. Nice to see there are a few coaches/gymnasts out there who seem to value what gymnastics should be like.

well i am a competive gymnast. and our judges are alot like the olympic ones. because a lot of them do the higher judging like worlds and visa. so we pretty much get judged like olympians and than when we go to out of town meets it is just a easier.. but some judges might of not liked shawns style

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back