Olympics...What it takes...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DND

Proud Parent
Its that time of year and DD has to do her speech in the yearly speech competition at school for Grades 1-3. She was told not to do gymnastics as that has pretty much been her topic of choice on all speeches. I always thought it was better to talk about what you know, but I see what they are saying. Well this is what she came up with....

[Good Morning fellow students,

This year is the 2012 Olympics and I am going to talk to you about what I think it takes to get to the Olympics. My key word of inspiration is DASH!

D - Discipline& Determination - Getting to the Olympics requires discipline; it is a very long road and you have to be willing work very hard. You have to train every day and work on things over and over again to get them right for many years. Being able to take criticism from coaches and judges can be really hard when you are having a bad day. You learn to trust your coaches and even though they have to yell or push you sometimes, they are doing it to help you and it is not personal. Working through fears and blocks comes and goes and you just have to stick with it and just keep trying. It takes determination as many times you have to work through injuries that seem to take forever to heal and that can be very frustrating. You have to sacrifice most of your time with family and friends as you have to miss or give up parties and things like vacations to train all the time.

A - Aspire - Do you know what aspire means? The dictionary says that aspire means; to long, aim, or seek ambitiously/ to eagerly desire something of great or high value. To get to the Olympics you have to aspire to be great and there is nothing of greater value than yourself. You have to want it, believe in yourself and believe that you can go all the way! The love and passion for what you do has to come from deep in your heart. It is a part of who you are and almost everything you do. All you think about from the time you wake up in the morning and even in your dreams while you sleep at night is reaching for that goal. It is that fire inside of you that gets you through the good days and the bad days and helps you to keep going.

S - Strength - The strength to get to the Olympics is more than just the muscles you build from training everyday. The most important strength is training your mind. You have to teach your brain to focus and send the right messages to your body. Some people call it mental toughness. Your brain is what sends the messages to your muscles of what to do and it has to be taught to visualize whatever task you are doing. It has to be trained to override fear and overcome things it feels are scary. Another important strength is learning to be a strong person. You have to learn to be both a good winner and loser; knowing that you can't win all the time and using that to carry on and try harder next time. To be happy for others and cheer on your fellow teammates and competitors as in the end they are just like you.

H - Healthy Living- My mom always tellsme I am like a car and I can't do anything if I don't have enough gas in the tank. I think healthy living is about balance. You have to have your breakfast and eat well, but that does not mean you can't have a milkshake! Eating a balanced diet of fruits, vegetables, grains and meats helps you to stay strong and healthy. Did you know that one of the best things to have after training is chocolate milk? It helps repair tired muscles and has the right amounts of calcium, fats, proteins. It is important to get enough rest, exercise and even fit in some fun time too! With training so often balance can be hard, but if you try to use your time wisely you can make it all work.

Getting to the Olympics is a lot of work and it can be tough. It is like a marathon and a roller coaster with ups and downs along the way, but it will also be the best ride of your life! Having said that; I have to Dash! I will see you at the games in 2020!

Thank you!

Cross you fingers...I hope she does great!

Last edited:
Good job! She makes me want to go have a milkshake!

My daughter was told last year in 5th grade for one of her writing essays to choose something other than gymnastics. I think her teacher was getting tired of her talk on gymnastics and Shawn JOhnson!
Its that time of year and DD has to do her speech in the yearly speech competition at school for Grades 1-3. She was told not to do gymnastics as that has pretty much been her topic of choice on all speeches. I always thought it was better to talk about what you know, but I see what they are saying. Well this is what she came up with....

[Good Morning fellow students,

This year is the 2012 Olympics and I am going to talk to you about what I think it takes to get to the Olympics. My key word of inspiration is DASH!

D - Discipline& Determination - Getting to the Olympics requires discipline; it is a very long road and you have to be willing work very hard. You have to train every day and work on things over and over again to get them right for many years. Being able to take criticism from coaches and judges can be really hard when you are having a bad day. You learn to trust your coaches and even though they have to yell or push you sometimes, they are doing it to help you and it is not personal. Working through fears and blocks comes and goes and you just have to stick with it and just keep trying. It takes determination as many times you have to work through injuries that seem to take forever to heal and that can be very frustrating. You have to sacrifice most of your time with family and friends as you have to miss or give up parties and things like vacations to train all the time.

A - Aspire - Do you know what aspire means? The dictionary says that aspire means; to long, aim, or seek ambitiously/ to eagerly desire something of great or high value. To get to the Olympics you have to aspire to be great and there is nothing of greater value than yourself. You have to want it, believe in yourself and believe that you can go all the way! The love and passion for what you do has to come from deep in your heart. It is a part of who you are and almost everything you do. All you think about from the time you wake up in the morning and even in your dreams while you sleep at night is reaching for that goal. It is that fire inside of you that gets you through the good days and the bad days and helps you to keep going.

S - Strength - The strength to get to the Olympics is more than just the muscles you build from training everyday. The most important strength is training your mind. You have to teach your brain to focus and send the right messages to your body. Some people call it mental toughness. Your brain is what sends the messages to your muscles of what to do and it has to be taught to visualize whatever task you are doing. It has to be trained to override fear and overcome things it feels are scary. Another important strength is learning to be a strong person. You have to learn to be both a good winner and loser; knowing that you can't win all the time and using that to carry on and try harder next time. To be happy for others and cheer on your fellow teammates and competitors as in the end they are just like you.

H - Healthy Living- My mom always tellsme I am like a car and I can't do anything if I don't have enough gas in the tank. I think healthy living is about balance. You have to have your breakfast and eat well, but that does not mean you can't have a milkshake! Eating a balanced diet of fruits, vegetables, grains and meats helps you to stay strong and healthy. Did you know that one of the best things to have after training is chocolate milk? It helps repair tired muscles and has the right amounts of calcium, fats, proteins. It is important to get enough rest, exercise and even fit in some fun time too! With training so often balance can be hard, but if you try to use your time wisely you can make it all work.

Getting to the Olympics is a lot of work and it can be tough. It is like a marathon and a roller coaster with ups and downs along the way, but it will also be the best ride of your life! Having said that; I have to Dash! I will see you at the games in 2020!

Thank you!

Cross you fingers...I hope she does great!

Good speech. I hope she does well.

I took my first speech class in college (required), and remember the instructor telling us that public speaking was 2nd in things that scare people most.

1st was snakes.

I think it is great that your little one is doing this at such a young age. The ability to speak well in public will go a long way in life.

A+ for her.

Good speech. I hope she does well.

I took my first speech class in college (required), and remember the instructor telling us that public speaking was 2nd in things that scare people most.

1st was snakes.

I think it is great that your little one is doing this at such a young age. The ability to speak well in public will go a long way in life.

A+ for her.

I agree on both fronts - snakes ans speeches - YUK! I am glad that they have them do one speech a term (3 times a year) since kindergarten.

My DD is shy, but apparently she is getting a bit louder every year!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back