Parents One More Chicago Style Meet Report!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay - My turn! I wish we would have been in the same session as some other CB'ers. But we got stuck with Sunday afternoon. Drove in Friday night. Spent some quality time with family. And then headed to Navy Pier Sunday morning. We walked "vendor row" before the meet and I let Beetle pick out 1 thing. Knowing Awards would take forever!

Beetle and I got there early, my Mom and family members that live in Chicago said they would come later. I told them they should be there by 1:00 - 1:15... I was worried they wouldnt make it. I would have felt bad.. pay $15 to get in the door then miss an event!
Onto the meet, She did Olympic order. Her fav...

Vault. She is now tsuking confidently. Landed 2 nice tsuk's. She took a 1/2 a step on each vault. Turns out my Mom & Cousin's wife (who was a gymnast at Brown) saw both vaults. My other family missed the 1st vault but saw the second. whew!

Bars. I thought her bars looked pretty good. She didnt hit the handstands on her casts.. I think judges killed her score because of it.

Beam. I know she has a strange series but I think it was connected. We were facing the end of the beam so I don't know if her leaps hit 180 but they must not have. She got a terrible score. When she got off the beam her coach said 'that should be about what you got last meet... 8.8'. It was almost a point lower.

Floor. Looked pretty good. Still don't know why she is scoring lower mid season than she did early in the season.

Onto awards

Vault 8.8 Tied for 2nd! She took the 3rd place medal. 1st was 8.9 (she really is bummed about that extra step now!)

Bars 8.3

Beam 7.9 (any comments???)

Floor 8.8

AA 33.8 - placed 10th.

Video at: YouTube - Chicago Style Invite

I have a new camera now.. Still getting used to it.. but I didnt do too bad.. I only cut off her legs a couple times!
http://www.youtube.com/user/3ninoslocos#p/a/u/0/QbszDyUz5EA

Anyway.. left Navy Pier around 6:00 Sunday night.. Drive all the way home.. hit some terrible weather and roads.. pulled into my driveway at 1:45 am. I am STILL tired.

I know absolutely NOTHING about your DD's level but man I thought vault was AMAZING, I saw her hit a couple hanstands on bars:), floor looked great and I can't understand the beam score at all unless like you said her leaps were not 180. She was nice and steady, not a lot of wobbles...I don't know! My DD and I are very impressed! We had a crabby beam judge 3 weeks ago, perhaps she found her way to your meet?:eek::confused::eek:

Great job! Really amazing vault!!!

Looks great to me. Love the medal on vault, that has really come along so well. As for beam it must be the jumps, I think the connection on the BHS BWO was fine, show knows eh??

Sounds like quite treck to get there, hope the family visit was fun. That meet looks huge!

okay, first her vault was Amazing!!! Love her power. And her floor routine was great! As far as the beam goes, I know nothing about judging, or what level your dd is competing (i'm thinking 8). If so, I was thinking that 8 needed a jump series of 3 jumps in a row with 2 or 3 needing to be "connected" in the judge's eyes, but ideally all 3 connected. I'm thinking that one of our level 8s was hammered for an oversight of only having 2 jumps in her routine. She now does - beat jump, split jump, split jump - and the goal is to get 2 of them "connected" for those almighty connection points.

If that's not it, then no clue here. Good luck figuring it out.

I don't think either of her leaps were 180. Sometimes in the UK if the judges don't think you have made a 'reasonable' attempt at a move they don't award the attempt and deduct for a missing element which is a massive deduction. Could something like that have happened?
Her routine also didn't seem to have many skills for level 8. I don't know the requirements but the ones I have seen on youtube all have a leap/ jump series and 2 BHS. They all also have at least one more acro move like a walkover or ticktock and all had a cartwheel or roundoff into dismount. I would go to her coach and ask about the composition of her routine. It looks more like a level 7 than level 8 composition at the moment. Perhaps they will upgrade it abit for her.
But I do love her dismount :)

Great job on Vault - Beetle did awesome! I can't wait to go home and watch the video. Our girls were at WOGA this yr and I have to say that I thought that the Chicago Style was a far better run meet - we couldn't help but compare! Glad your family was able to come and enjoy Beetle's performance!

I think she got killed on her beam score--her jumps didn't look to be 180 and they might have taken off for her two pauses too--some judges do. Of course I think scoring was low all weekend! Love her vaults!

They all also have at least one more acro move like a walkover or ticktock and all had a cartwheel or roundoff into dismount. I would go to her coach and ask about the composition of her routine. It looks more like a level 7 than level 8 composition at the moment. Perhaps they will upgrade it abit for her.
But I do love her dismount :)

I totally forgot about the special requirement of "forward/backward motion" like the ticktock. All of our 8s have a forward-backward move, most of them do a ticktock, but one does a back extension straight to a round-off. I think as long as they are doing a move that directly goes from one direction straight into the opposite, that would meet the requirement. I think I would definately have a chat with the HC or beam coach and ask if they understand your dds beam score. Maybe we are all way off the mark, but it doesn't hurt to ask them about it.

Something from a print out of what I have about requirements for L8.

Need 4 As & 4 Bs.

The special requirements are a series of 2 tumbling elements, at least 1 with flight; dance series of 2 elements, one of which is a leap or jump requiring 180 degree split; a full turn and a dismount of at least A value.

Quite honestly L8 beam is not far off from L7 beam. Difference is L7 does not need flight in the series, but does need flight somewhere which could be met by doing it in the series. L7 also requires 5 As & 2 Bs

It does also say that for an A skill miss it is a .1 deduction and for a B skill miss it is a .3 deduction.

If Beetle did a switch leap and did not hit 180 and that is one of her Bs, she probably got dinged.

Also at 8, the judges can take a composition deduction. If she is doing bare bones 8 (which I have no idea because I haven't watched the video yet) they can take a deduction for that.

Just thought I'd throw what I had in print out here.

That is useful info Granny Smith. Uk requirements are so different. Beetle didn't have a dance series so that probably explains her main deduction. In a way that is quite good as it is easy to fix! If she can get one of her leaps to 180 and get her knees up so her tuck jump counts she will really up her score. That is quite do able so good luck Beetle.

are level 8 do the same routine but they have a front or side skill like a step layout dimount. i think she just didnt get the credit for her switch leap or jump and so she was missing some b's if she did not get credit for those. also are gymnasts have an a jump after their split jump ex split jump beat jump.i hope this helped

Thank you everyone for the kind comments and the tips/ideas on Beetle's beam score.

Her coaches are really hammering home hitting 180 on both her leap and her jump this week. Which is good. She needs to know when she doesn't hit them...

Congrats to her! Glad to hear about her tsuk!! How exciting. I laugh about the extra step because Abby will watch her own videos and on bars, she ALWAYS takes 2 or 3 steps and she will say, what would my score have been had I stuck it?

I thought her beam was great, but I guess if the requirement is 180, they probably got her on that. I don't think mine will ever hit 180 on leaps or jumps. Love her floor routine, too, especially the FHS FLO!

All I can say is grats! I cant wait to watch the video but I am looking forward to it.

Awesome that your family got to be there as well.

Something from a print out of what I have about requirements for L8.

Need 4 As & 4 Bs.

The special requirements are a series of 2 tumbling elements, at least 1 with flight; dance series of 2 elements, one of which is a leap or jump requiring 180 degree split; a full turn and a dismount of at least A value.

in print out here.

Do you know when that print out is from????

The one I have off USAG for 2009-2013 dated May 2009 that reads:

Beam
1. Acro seriese- min. of 2 elements 1 ith flight. (Both must start and finish in beam.)

2. One leap/jump requiring 180 degree split (isolated or in a seriese)

3. Minimum of 360 degree turn in one foot

4. Aerial or Salto Dismount, min A

I do not see anything about a leap/jump dance series anymore. I do believe it used to be a requirement but, is not any longer.

P's beam coach is looking at the big book of code of points tonight to verify for a thing she changed in P's routine. I can let you know for sure.

H will do great this weekend I ma sure of it beam is one of the monsters in the room. LOL I firmly believe when they are trying to master a new skill that others lax a little.

P's bars are a perfect example at the last 2 meets they bit but her vault was breat go figure.

H will hit it all I know it

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back