One more gymnastics fan question - Olympic Trials

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

monkeysmom

Has anyone ever been to an Olympic Trials? There is no way I will be taking my daughter to London to see the Olympics in 2012, but I could add San Jose to our vacation next sumer. We will be taking a rent-a-car roadtrip next summer in California and Oregon. Do the Olympic Trials actually mean anything, and are they fun to watch? Due to travel for work, I have a bunch of Marriott miles.

Next week I can start to reserve my free hotel nights for our trip (Marriott lets you grab the nights 50 weeks out on their website). I plan early when I use miles for hotels and flights since they limit the "free" nights that are available.

I am considering adding a swing through San Jose for two nights during this trip. Right now our agenda includes one of the parks with big redwoods, Juniper Ridge opal mine in Oregon, Big Sur, and San Francisco. I'm hoping my little gymnast will be strong enough to rent a bike to go over the Golden Gate bridge to Sausalito, and then take the ferry back (I've done that before and had fun).

San Jose is not too far from San Francisco and has a Marriott not too far from the pavilion. Would it be worth the trip/stop?

In case you think I'm crazy, I've already been on a few long road trips with my daughter, and we've had a blast. We've covered much of Alaska and also did a six-state roadtrip two summers ago. I work a lot, and she seems to like the undivided attention and adventure of a trip together. She loves to draw and color, so she writes and draws in her journal when she is not eating one of those huge lifesaver popsicles from a truck stop. : )

Never been but sounds like a great opportunity to see some hopefuls...I guess my question is, is your DD old enough to enjoy and really appreciate it or would a zoo be just as much fun?

A few olympics ago they were in Boston and we went to see that. It was amazing to see. Very exciting and both my kids loved it. Son was about 11 daughter was about 6.

I took my DD to the 2008 Olympic Trials. She wad 9 at the time . We had a great time and for us it was totally worth it.

of course it's worth it. and having done both, coach and spectator, being a spectator is much more relaxing and enjoyable.:)

absolutely worth it-esp if you will already be there and have the points! There is a schedule posted somewhere on the USAG website- I think guys are Thurs/Sat, the girls are Fri/Sun I think?? There are a lot of very nice hotels near the venue!

MM -

Definitely worth it! And yes the trials actually mean something. Great gymnastics from some very talented elite athletes.

We went to the trials in Philadelphia and are planning on San Jose. Way cheaper than London and you will get to see some gymnastics as opposed to London. San Jose is fabulous with lots of things to do; LA isn't that far away for an excursion as well. Be sure and check out the science museum in San Jose too.

Right now, you can only reserve all-session tickets which included men and women sessions. Individual session tickets will go on sale much closer to the event.

If I am not mistaken, the USAG national congress will also happen at that time so there will be lots of gymnastics lovers in town.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back