One thing I noticed

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

After watching the event/AA finals I am extremely impressed by USA and some other teams sportsmanship. After floor finals yesterday I was really impressed by Shawn Johnson and Nastia Luikin being the first two people to congratulate the gymnast who just performed, even though they could have potentially overtaken her. I was however a little disappointed in Luiken today when she seemed to pout after the tie-breaker, although I don't blame her at all, it would have been great if she still displayed the same sportsmanship she did when things were going well as when things were not. But still it really has been great to see by the whole US team.

After watching the event/AA finals I am extremely impressed by USA and some other teams sportsmanship. After floor finals yesterday I was really impressed by Shawn Johnson and Nastia Luikin being the first two people to congratulate the gymnast who just performed, even though they could have potentially overtaken her. I was however a little disappointed in Luiken today when she seemed to pout after the tie-breaker, although I don't blame her at all, it would have been great if she still displayed the same sportsmanship she did when things were going well as when things were not. But still it really has been great to see by the whole US team.

Yeah...it has been better at the Olympics, especially since Sacramone threw such a complete hissy fit last year at Worlds after the floor final.

It was great to see the Russians, Chinese, Romanian and Americans after floor finals...all hugs and smiles.

It's a tall order to ask that a gymnast relinquish a gold to someone with the same score, no? those camera men never give the girls a minute to compose themselves. She's only human and it was a big blow. She smiled and received her silver with grace in front of everyone she looked disappointed and questioned while sitting next to her dad....

I can't blame her for being upset. She still hugged and congratulated the other gymnasts afterwards, from her chair but still. And when she got up on the podium she sucked it up and smiled. I don't think we could expect anyone not to be, and look, upset when they lose a tie breaker. It's a hard pill to swallow, but I think she pulled it together well up on the podium.

I think the girls have been great examples, overall, of good sportsmanship and enjoying yourself.

~Katy

Like I said, I don't blame her, and can understand it completely and she did do a good job recovering.

Also what happened with Alicia Sacramone after floor for world? I guess I missed that one, or forgot...

Personally, I would have felt a lot better about the results if He hadn't "challenged" Nastia before the Games, and if she didn't have that gloating look on her face after she found out she had won. She also pumped her arms up and down on that podium. I understand that the gymnasts have nothing to do with the scoring, that they just go out and give it their best, but He could have been a much more gracious winner, especially in these circumstances.

But then again, maybe I should be gracious--she is, after all, only 12. :rolleyes:

I am not really upset with Nastia- but with the camera man who was filming her. She was sitting there waiting for her score- watching the board like everyone else. She sees her score- a 16.725 and realizes she has tied! You see the happiness go to shock as she realizes she is not first- and then you witness her confusion and, of course, her being upset over this. And the camera man just sits there while she goes through all of these emotions.

I felt bad for Sacramone during team finals in Beijing because the camera did an excellent job of following her around during her horrible meet. I just wanted to hit whoever it was. It broke my heart to see her like that.

I am not really upset with Nastia- but with the camera man who was filming her. She was sitting there waiting for her score- watching the board like everyone else. She sees her score- a 16.725 and realizes she has tied! You see the happiness go to shock as she realizes she is not first- and then you witness her confusion and, of course, her being upset over this. And the camera man just sits there while she goes through all of these emotions.

I felt bad for Sacramone during team finals in Beijing because the camera did an excellent job of following her around during her horrible meet. I just wanted to hit whoever it was. It broke my heart to see her like that.

I agree- especially as Nastia deserved to share the gold IMO. But the sportsmanship has been fantastic throughout the whole of the games.

It's a tall order to ask that a gymnast relinquish a gold to someone with the same score, no? those camera men never give the girls a minute to compose themselves. She's only human and it was a big blow. She smiled and received her silver with grace in front of everyone she looked disappointed and questioned while sitting next to her dad....

I agree it has to be hard to have the whole world constantly zoomed in on your face. There were a few moments when shawn was not all smiles either. I think she had a right to be dissapointed seeing as no one seemed really clear on the tiebreaker procedure. they showed her asking why she was in second, and i think she tied and was just dissapointed in how the tiebreaker worked out and i don't think that there is anything wrong with that. when it came time to accept the silver she was gracious and mature about it.

Yeah...it has been better at the Olympics, especially since Sacramone threw such a complete hissy fit last year at Worlds after the floor final.

It's sad that, thats Alicia's attitude. People are like "it wasn't her fault that the US didn't get gold" but since she is team-captain she gets in a funk attitude and funks out the team. Not how the team-captain should act.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back