Parents Only funny because there is a happy(ish) ending

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

P

Pickle's Mom

I just needed to share because I remember last month someone posting about a young gymnast that showed very poor sportsmanship by not paying attention to awards in an event where she had performed poorly but her teammates had placed.

On Saturday, Pickle had a big meet. One of her team members (we’ll call her K) who is kind of quiet did not perform as well as she normally does. It was clear by the end that she wasn’t going to medal (which would be a first for her).

I overheard her talking to her mom and saying that she didn’t feel well and she wanted to go home. Her mom insisted (in a loving way) that they stay to cheer on the other girls during awards.

By Saturday midnight K was admitted to the hospital and guess who no longer has an appendix as of this morning?

Of course her mom feels absolutely guilt-ridden, etc. My guess is K could ride this for a new car if she were a little older.

Oh, the poor mom. She'll probably feel awful about this for quite some time. Hope her dd is feeling better. She will have quite the story to tell to everyone for years to come!

Poor thing! I think this story shows why we as outsiders shouldn't be too quick to second guess, judge or label a child who "appears" to be "acting up" or "not being a good sportsman". Sometimes you never know what is going on behind the scenes with that child. Glad this little kiddo got to surgery before anything really unfortunate happened to her.

Just an update…

K was sent home from the hospital today and is healing nicely. I can’t believe the short time they keep them there. I guess it’s a laparoscopic procedure now instead of a full cut-you-open sort of thing.

She’s bummed, of course, that she won’t be able to go back to the gym for at least a week. All the girls are making her glitter-filled cards during the day off from school.

And her poor mom. I just feel like you can NEVER EVER win as a mom. I mean, obviously, if her daughter had said “I’m having a sharp pain in my lower-right abdomen…” she would have left right away. But instead it was more like a “my stomach hurts…” type thing. And she really thought she was doing the right thing by having her daughter stay.

One of my daughter's teammates just had an emergency appendectomy over the holidays. I guess she had 3 incisions & wasn't cleared to come back until last Tuesday. We were all amazed that not only did she come back, but she competed in that same meet your daughter was in! I'm sure your daughter's teammate will bounce back, no problem, as long as she doesn't rush it. It sounds like everyone is very supportive!

MyDD had her appendix taking out 2 years ago and just came home with stomach pains...We didn't take her(thinking it was just a stomach virus) in until the middle of night when she was just crying and I simply asked if she needed to go to the hospital and when she said yes I knew something was wrong. It's so hard as a parent not knowing the right thing to do. We had the laparoscopic surgery but i think it was almost a month before her doctor released her back to work out. Also get this.. while I'm on the subject... I had to sign a paper saying she was not pregnant before surgery...lol...she was only 10 at the time!!!! I was thrown back because this kid was the size of a 8 yr old... but according to law they have to do a pregnancy test on anyone 10 and over.

I remember something similar happened when I was at high school and we were sitting our final exams. In the middle of one exam, a girl from my school called over a supervisor and said she felt sick. She actually vomited, then the supervisor made her go back and complete the rest of the exam. Later on, after the exam, she ended up going to hospital for an appendectomy. Of course, the supervisor probably thought it was nerves or possibly a mild stomach virus.

I don't think K's mum should blame herself for not realising that it wasn't a normal tummy ache. I'm so glad the little girl is okay.

Pickle's Mom;147169 And her poor mom. I just feel like you can NEVER EVER win as a mom. I mean said:
You took the words right out of my mouth! This mothering 'gig' is the toughest on the planet!! Why didn't I listen to my Mom!!

I'm glad to hear your daughter's teammate came through her surgery well. Her mom should focus on the fact that although she isn't clairvoyant--but who really is?-- she DID get her child the medical attention she needed. Appendicitis is sometimes a difficult diagnosis for surgeons, pediatricians, and EM physicians to make and we have our physical exam skills and imagining studies to help us. Healing mercies for your daughter's friend and a reprieve from guilt for her mom.

I'm glad to hear your daughter's teammate came through her surgery well. Her mom should focus on the fact that although she isn't clairvoyant--but who really is?-- she DID get her child the medical attention she needed. Appendicitis is sometimes a difficult diagnosis for surgeons, pediatricians, and EM physicians to make and we have our physical exam skills and imagining studies to help us. Healing mercies for your daughter's friend and a reprieve from guilt for her mom.

Agreed. When I had it it took over a day of general pain and discomfort before it finally localized to the lower right abdomen. It just wasn't possible to tell exactly where the pain was on the first day. Once the pain localized I then pretty much knew what was wrong (I was a knowledgable adult) and took myself to an urgent care clinic. A child wouldn't necessarily know how to describe the pain, even after it starts to localize.

Appendicitis is sometimes a difficult diagnosis for surgeons, pediatricians, and EM physicians to make and we have our physical exam skills and imagining studies to help us. Healing mercies for your daughter's friend and a reprieve from guilt for her mom.

Ooops! "Imagining studies" should really be imaging studies [although some of my radiology colleagues might find my typo apropos ;)]

Bajan'sWife,
Yes, localizing to the right lower quadrant is usually a later finding after pain that may be very similar to any other GI bug. You're also right that getting a good exam in scared and uncomfortable children can sometimes be a challenge in it's own right. I guess the take home message is when in doubt seek medical attention, exactly as the mom in this scenario did.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back