Opening Ceremonies...what did you think?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
What did everyone think of the opening ceremonies? I thought they were awesome...Danny Boyle did great work. This was my favorite part...

london-opening.jpg

Beautiful! I loved the leaves that were carried in with each country becoming the torch!

Beautiful! I loved the leaves that were carried in with each country becoming the torch!

Yes...when it raised and became fully lit was awesome!

Last edited:

That was so awesome! I really thought they did a great job on the opening ceremony. My 6 year old even stayed up until midnight to watch the whole thing. I did think Paul McCartney was a little weak at the end, but that's ok. The rest was fantastic.

I just found myself watching Badminton online because that was the only thing going on...I think I may be losing my mind a little..

Loved it! Wasn't too sure if people watching from other countries would get some of it. I thought it was better than Beijing but being British I'm probably slightly biased ;)

I really enjoyed them, the fireworks were spectacular and my girls loved the Queen parachuting in.

I think the beginning had lots of very UK references and I could see how not knowing all things UK could make it drag.

I was very pleased that Danny Boyle did not try to outdo Beijing, his own creation was far more British.

Loved it! Wasn't too sure if people watching from other countries would get some of it. I thought it was better than Beijing but being British I'm probably slightly biased ;)

Yes, it was difficult for me to understand many of the references to things "just British" during ths show. To me when there have to be alot of explanations of the show, it loses its appeal. I loved the forging of the rings and the lighting of the Olympic flame, but also found it a little odd that the flame cannot be seen outside of the stadium. Nobody will top Beijing 2008.

Gym law mom, I made almost an identicle post on FB. I felt the same way. I "understood" what was going on. (i'm not the brightest crayon in the box..but I have some brains..lol) I just didn't get it. Loved that they had the teenagers light the flame. But was a little bothered by the fact that the Olympic Flame can not be seen outside the stadium. (I don't know why, guess because it has always been raised high enough before...lol)

My parents made fun of it and thought it wasn't too great, but I thought it was really cool. The beginning was pretty confusing for me, but I loved the part with the glowing Olympic rings, and the fireworks. Best part was the torch lighting, no question. I, too, wish that they had raised up the flame more so it could be seen from outside. But, can you imagine how much rehearsal that must have taken? I loved how the leaves came together to form the flame, kind of representing how all the countries come together for the Olympics. But I agree, nothing is ever going to top Beijing.

I thought the beginning was weird and too slow...felt like I was at EPCOT in one of those educational presentations ....liked the whole Queen, James Bond and lighting of the rings ...and of course , the parade of nations.

I finally watched the rest of it. The part where the flame cauldron is comprised of the leaves brought in by each of the countries was very moving.

I found parts to be really slow, like when they were changing from the agriculture era to the industrial revolution. But it had some really cool parts, like forging the ring and raising all of them, the fireworks throughout the whole city, all the lights on the seats. I loved the hill of flags idea and how the caldron was made. But I still don't understand why it's in the arena. Usually it is seen high above the city. The whole least section with the Franky and who-ever her name was was really lame, though the effects using the house were cool.

I enjoyed them. Beijing was so amazing and grand, but I liked the atmosphere of London, lots of laughter and fantasy. Mr. Bean and Sir Paul were the highlights for me! It is such a great aspect of the Olympics that each host nation is able to inject their national personality into the ceremonies.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back