opinion wanted, please read!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

lisiflex

Hello guys!

I would really really appreciate if you read my story and give me your opinion and tips if you have any. I know I posted a lot recently. But this topic is really affecting my life recently.

Since I am very young I was searching for something that fills the “emptiness” in my life. I always had a lot of friends, a nice family, good grades at school etc, but I was always kind of unhappy.
I wanted to go on adventures, play football, go snowboarding and always had a huge fascination for acrobatics, but there was not even a single person who shared my passion.
I grew up in a small village, no one here really knows about acrobatics or gymnastics, neither did my parents.

I am so extremely sad that they didn’t have the idea to put me in gymnastics or something at a young age!!!

Anyways, when I graduated from school I decided to become a teacher for sports and geography. I attended gymnastics classes at university and suddenly found what I was looking for my entire life – people who are like me, who like being active, have fun together and respect others as they are!

So like I said, I started acrobatics about 9 months ago and I think I am doing quite well. The coaches wouldn’t believe me when I said I have never done anything like that before. My “team” is just a bunch of students, most of them can’t even do a good straight cartwheel, but they train and have fun.
But I want more. There is no opportunity for adults to train, but I am in these college classes 3 times a week for 2 hours. Additionally, I do some bodyweight exercises everyday for about 4-60mins. 4 times a week abs, and 2 times a week arms and legs. I also stretch everyday.

I am so happy, I feel like nothing can harm me because I finally found a hobby and a job that makes me happy!

The only thing I think about now is that I am really angry I didn’t start early. But then I say to myself, that maybe it is not such a big disadvantage to start later. Maybe I would have had a bad injury if I started earlier, or dropped out of it in puberty like many kids do. And now I know I really want it, I am even more focused and willing to work hard!

But I am afraid it will take me ages to learn some skills. I don’t want to be super good or something.
I WANT TO BE A QUITE FLEXIBLE AND STRONG ACROBAT, WHO CAN DO BASIC SKILLS, BUT THESE SKILLS SHOULD LOOK NICE AND PERFECT, NOT SLOPPY.
I will now write down my goals and I would really appreciate if you could comment on it and give your opinion.

My skills (I learned it in 8 months):

Flexibility:
Front splits left and right
middle splits
good back and shoulder flexibility, I can nearly put my head between my feet

Strength:
15 hanging leg raises on a free hanging pull-up bar
5 hanging leg raises on stall bars
5 deadhang pull-ups
1 chin-up pullover
30 seconds straddle support
15 seconds L-sit
straddle handstand (from standing)

Skills:handstand for about 5 seconds
cartwheel
one handed cartwheel
roundoff
front and back walkover
(I have not worked on anything else yet, but the skills mentioned are really decent!)

So my goals are:

Flexibility:
Oversplits of 10 inches
Bow and Arrow
Needle

Strength:
20 hanging leg raises on stall bars
10 deadhang pull-ups
7 chin-ups pullovers
press to handstand from straddle support
pike handstand (from standing)

Skills:hold a handstand for about 30 seconds and do some variations (splits, stags, arched)
back handspring
back handspring step-out
RO BH
front/back tuck
Side Aerial
RO BH BT
and then I want to work on my layouts, front aerials etc on the tumble track

So do you think I can reach my goals? And if so, how long will it take with the amount of training I mentioned above? It would be great to have the flexibility and strength goals by next August 2014 and the acro skills at Christmas or so!

I would be so happy if anyone has some advice, maybe I won’t be that desperate anymore that I didn’t start earlier!

Thanks in advance!

Of course you can achieve your goals. You can't really put a time frame on learning acrobatics. Some people can learn them just like that, others may never learn them. Once you start getting a few skills, it kind of just grows from there. Also, some people may just be better twisters, better at somersaults, better at aerial moves (like butterfly twist etc.) Don't be put down by what I've said though, if you can find yourself a good coach (and believe me, coaching can sometimes mean everything) then they'll come even sooner. By most of the skills you've put there, and with the right coaching, you can probably get there in about 4-6 months

Good luck and good speed!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back