WAG Opinions wanted

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

littlegirlsdream

Proud Parent
Opinions wanted. DD has a lvl 7 beam routine that could easily be a lvl 8. She is currently scoring high 8s. She would love to break into the 9 range. Problem is, with some of these harder skills I am certain she is getting deductions. SO is it better to keep the difficulty in despite knowing she will struggle to get a high score so she can master them and progress OR would it be better to water it down to score high??

This depends on the gymnast, the hc, and the ultimate goal. Some prefer to compete the harder routines to challenge them and help prepare them for the next levels with the eye on L10. Others prefer to prefer to have minimal routines for less deductions.

So her goal is to make it to lvl 10 in the next 3-4 years. Her current gym leaves a lot of the decisions to the gymnast themself. That’s why I thought I would come here and get others perspectives

I would ask your daughter how she feels and/or what she wants.

Personally, I’d stick with the harder routine. She’ll be in Level 8 in no time and then she’ll be scoring higher than if she had not been doing the skills in Level 7. Do you (more importantly your daughter) prefer to score better in L7 or L8? Additionally, I think it is still too early in the season to worry about scores. How many meets has she done? High 8s is not bad. She could easily get to 9s by mid season.

In any event, which L8 skills do you feel she is getting a lot of deductions? And what do you think she is getting deducted on? We might be able to determine if those skills are progressive towards her goal.

Same problem. My daughter’s level 7 routine also fulfills level 8 requirements and is much harder than many of the routines we’ve seen in state. Our issue was my daughter wants to make the regional team, but this will definitely reduce her chances. Is it your daughter’s series? Leaps? I’m not sure how hard to push this issue either bc I do think my daughter will transition easily to level 8. Her bars are very nice with her freehip on high bar and her vault has come a long way. She does three passes on floor which is again more deductions. I’m inclined to let it go at this point.

Same problem. My daughter’s level 7 routine also fulfills level 8 requirements and is much harder than many of the routines we’ve seen in state. Our issue was my daughter wants to make the regional team, but this will definitely reduce her chances. Is it your daughter’s series? Leaps? I’m not sure how hard to push this issue either bc I do think my daughter will transition easily to level 8. Her bars are very nice with her freehip on high bar and her vault has come a long way. She does three passes on floor which is again more deductions. I’m inclined to let it go at this point.

There is always that option to water down the routine at the state meet (not necessarily before) to qualify to regionals.

There is always that option to water down the routine at the state meet (not necessarily before) to qualify to regionals.
Funny you just said that because my daughter told me this morning that they will take out the C skill and a leap at the state meet if it is not where it needs to be but they want her to compete it in the other meets that don't really "count." I guess this is a good strategy.

Funny you just said that because my daughter told me this morning that they will take out the C skill and a leap at the state meet if it is not where it needs to be but they want her to compete it in the other meets that don't really "count." I guess this is a good strategy.

Is the C skill a dance element or acro? If a dance element, I like the strategy of leaving it in until State. However, if it is a restricted C acro element that is causing her to receive a 0.5 restricted element deduction, that seems unnecessary and I would lean towards encouraging a change in the routine now.

Is the C skill a dance element or acro? If a dance element, I like the strategy of leaving it in until State. However, if it is a restricted C acro element that is causing her to receive a 0.5 restricted element deduction, that seems unnecessary and I would lean towards encouraging a change in the routine now.
Switch leap. That’s a C skill, right? I don’t think it’s restricted. Just not necessary yet and getting lots of deductions for concentration pause, throwing front leg too high with back leg much too low, and then the landing. She has a few other leaps in there too. I think she would be fine with just split jump beat jump which she does just fine. She does a nice round off dismount but could probably just have the cartwheel on 7, right? It seems like there was already enough difficulty without extra leaps and jumps, but you’re right. Those are easy enough to take out.

Switch leap. That’s a C skill, right? I don’t think it’s restricted. Just not necessary yet and getting lots of deductions for concentration pause, throwing front leg too high with back leg much too low, and then the landing. She has a few other leaps in there too. I think she would be fine with just split jump beat jump which she does just fine. She does a nice round off dismount but could probably just have the cartwheel on 7, right? It seems like there was already enough difficulty without extra leaps and jumps, but you’re right. Those are easy enough to take out.

Yes, switch leap is a C level dance skill that is allowed in L7, so no restricted element deductions apply. If your dd isn’t getting too discouraged, it seems fine to leave those skills in.

I would ask your daughter how she feels and/or what she wants.

Personally, I’d stick with the harder routine. She’ll be in Level 8 in no time and then she’ll be scoring higher than if she had not been doing the skills in Level 7. Do you (more importantly your daughter) prefer to score better in L7 or L8? Additionally, I think it is still too early in the season to worry about scores. How many meets has she done? High 8s is not bad. She could easily get to 9s by mid season.

In any event, which L8 skills do you feel she is getting a lot of deductions? And what do you think she is getting deducted on? We might be able to determine if those skills are progressive towards her goal.

DD doesn’t like when her skills get “down grades” she also really wants to score high so she is 50/50 in it. Also why I am asking. I personally do not care which she does So in particular her switch leap is not hitting 180. She can hit 180 at practice (or close) but she isn’t getting as close at meets. Also, she does a round off tuck dismount and is not setting at all and goes wayyy out, her cartwheel tuck doesn’t do this. She does handspring handspring and falls sometimes but that she def wants to keep so it will stay. She has done 3 meets and has 3 left then state.

In my DD case it’s a mostly switch leap. Not sure what she is getting deducted exactly but she doesn’t hit 180 and usually has a wobble after. She does another jump that hits 180 so she isn’t losing the entire skill I don’t believe.

sorry if this is getting confusing. There are two of us on my post now with basically the same question thanks for everyone’s input I appreciate it. If I can I will attach what it looked like at this last meet (it was way less 180 even than usual) maybe someone has an idea of how much would be deducted for it.

In my DD case it’s a mostly switch leap. Not sure what she is getting deducted exactly but she doesn’t hit 180 and usually has a wobble after. She does another jump that hits 180 so she isn’t losing the entire skill I don’t believe.
LOL! Same! I think our daughters must have the same routine. And yes, in her case, her primary deduction is on that switch leap. Sorry for the hijack! I asked a week or so ago if there were alternatives to switch leaps because my daughter doesn't seem to understand how to execute it right. I will say that both of our girls' routines are much harder than the ones I see at local meets so they should be proud of themselves for taking the risk!

LOL! Same! I think our daughters must have the same routine. And yes, in her case, her primary deduction is on that switch leap. Sorry for the hijack! I asked a week or so ago if there were alternatives to switch leaps because my daughter doesn't seem to understand how to execute it right. I will say that both of our girls' routines are much harder than the ones I see at local meets so they should be proud of themselves for taking the risk!

I agree DD is harder than most in our area too and on her team. The coach gives each gymnast options on what they can choose from for their routine depending on what their skills looked like and of course per DD style (and age cause she is 10) she chose the hardest of every option given to her . She does a very nice switch leap but when she is nervous she seems to play it safe and not be as aggressive with it thus causing issues.I don’t mind the high Jack at all...it’s great to have a place to go with questions. This sport is not always user friendly

My daughter always did harder than required skills. Level 8 she was doing a double full — rarely saw anyone else compete that all the way through to regionals. Anyway when she moved to 9 she was able to do a whip double and added a double back. Now even at 9 she scored slightly lower than girls not doing as hard of skills. But she placed 2nd on floor at Easterns that year. Now at level 10 she is more confident in the harder skills. I would say stick with it. Work on cleaning up the skill and in time she will be scoring better than others. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back