Coaches Optional Bar Routine Numbers

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Depends on how close to a meet we are. Earlier is 5 in a row, closer is 7-10 in a row. How many is usually assigned though because it does depend on the event and the gymnast

It all depends on the day...the level...the part of season...and how consistent they are with their routine.

Could be anywhere from 0 - 15.

Could you be more specific?

It all depends on the day...the level...the part of season...and how consistent they are with their routine.

Could be anywhere from 0 - 15.

Could you be more specific?

During competition season, but not peak season, talking January/February timing. Mainly levels 6-8.

Chalkbowl; Specific - OK here goes - Our Optionals (USA G L6-10) are in a short "in-gym cycle." ("In-gym cycle" means that we have a couple of solid weeks without a meet.) Our assignments this coming 2 weeks have drills, 8 x 1/2 (low bar routines), 8 x 1/2 (high bar routines), upgrade drills, side stations (ground) focusing on competition shapes and alternating days with inbar skills w/HB pirouette work. They complete the event rotation with 1 hit routine (showing routine fitness). Our event rotation, next 2 weeks, is 45 minutes. On my rotation planner I have reminders to me as a coach to limit the chalk bowl talk, intensity medium and high quality reps. I have a "surprise mock meet" planned for next week. I plan on breaking the group into 3 teams and having them choose comp order. The judging criteria will be based upon the athletes showing improvement on their skill/routine goals. Example: Hitting HS in HB clear-hip.

I hope that the above is the info you wished to gather. It is a quick summary.

Best, SBG -

I want them to believe that routines ain't nothin', so I have them do a minimum of 5 routines to begin their bars session. I expect them to hit 3 of those routines with good execution, and will have them do additional routines if it seems their obstacle is the concept of getting their grips on, warming up a few key elements and being good to go. I won't add extra routines if I think they're not making the required 3 out of 5 because they have a weak element or connection that's making the routine lose flow, execution, or causing a fall. I try to get them to finish up their 5 within 15 minutes of walking off the previous event, and I think the pace I want gets them focused and more likely to hit.

So a minimum of 5 required, and a maximum of 10...... although I must say that there was a day I took exception to their focus and pace and had them do 15 routines in 15 minutes...... but that's another story.

Just adding that the group was equivalent to today's L8.

During competition season, but not peak season, talking January/February timing. Mainly levels 6-8.
And how long is each practice? How much of practice is devoted to warm up and conditioning? And do they work every event every practice? And how many gymnasts are we talking? And how many sets of bars do you have? And how many different bar sets do they use?

At our gym, each practice is 2.5 hours, but 45 minutes to an hour is devoted to warm up and conditioning. During meet season, we try to have them hit all events (but unless a meet is close, they only hit 3 events some days). That leaves the girls a max of 35 minutes per event (minimal conditioning and only 3 event days) and sometimes as little as 22 minutes per event. We have 13-15 Optionals (2 are out for HS gym right now... and 2 are just coming back from injuries so it is more like 11-13 until March). We only have 2 sets of bars and the "big bars" have 2 bar sets and the "little bars" have 3 bar sets. The girls are required to do 3 - 5 "hit" routines a day.

And how long is each practice? How much of practice is devoted to warm up and conditioning? And do they work every event every practice? And how many gymnasts are we talking? And how many sets of bars do you have? And how many different bar sets do they use?

We have 4 hour practices with 30-45 minutes devoted to warm-up & conditioning as well as a 15 minute break in the middle of practice (owners do not allow snack in the gym area, so we are forced to take a formal break in the viewing area). This typically leaves approximately 40 minutes for each event, each practice. The optional group i'm speaking of has 6 athletes and they have a total of 3 sets of bars and 2 single rails with 2 different settings used within the group (5 are on the large setting, one on the small setting).

Chalkbowl; How many routines have you planned for your 6 optional gymnasts get in this week? I am presuming this is mid-way in prep for State Championships and a bit further for Regions/Nationals. What is your goal this week for that group?

Your 40 minutes for the UB rotation is very close to the rotation time of my current schedule. Outcomes are made by three inputs (quality/reps/changes or coaching) that can be changed by assignment. Do you have any suggestions or efficiencies to pass along?

Update: My optional UB rotation has been great this week. Work ethos and quality has been high for 3 days. 2 more practices to go! My side stations emphasizing early strong shapes is working for in-bar circling skills. I am rewarding the group today and letting them create a UB's music playlist to play on the stereo I have on the UB's cabinet. The L9's took charge and have broken the playlist into 2 parts for 1/2 routines and the drill/upgrade work. They left the gym very proud and excited yesterday.

Thanks in advance, SBG_

Our kids usually only get about 3 MADE routines in for a given practice, which is not nearly enough IMO. They spend a fair amount of time doing some warm-up exercise including static hangs, casts to handstands ect. Our gym is in the NE and we close for snow days as well as many holidays so our optionals only had three bar workouts last week for a total of only 9 routines.

I love that music idea as an incentive!

Chalkbowl; I understand the adaption to the weather and athletes schedule. I coach in the "winterland" of the northern US and our cold and snow does make us be adaptable. When a week ago the polar vortex dipped our way, our girls wore leggings to bars which is adjacent to an outside wall. I do work hard on holding practice in all but dangerous weather. The good thing about the northern US, like other northern or mountain areas, is we know the cold and snow. Adapt and overcome!

As to music, thanks. When I retired from corp.america I started to play acoustic blues (1900-40 blues and jazz). This was prior to my coaching gymnastics. A buddy and I play out on occasions. As such, I keep a 1940's Stella guitar back by UB's. When the girls are well into our UB conditioning I open the case and play a request or 2 from the girls. I have one athlete who is returning from a minor ankle sprain and has a different assignment the past 2 weeks. When she completes her UB assignment, she has been picking the guitar up and learning to play. The group is excited and lots of work gets done. Her finger style renditions of some Miss.John Hurt songs actually have the group singing when are working hard. Nothing wrong with that! I do enjoy having a break from the modern pop music that is the music of the moment.

Back to UB routine numbers....

SBG -

^quite possibly the most adorable post I've ever seen on this board.

Also, I'm a bit surprised at optionals having a 15 minute break in a 4 hour practice. We don't have snacks at all during 4 hour practices. 5 hours then we do. If they did need a snack I would let them have maybe 5 minutes and that's it.

Our typical is 5 routines...3 hits. Hit the first 3 and you get to move on.

Just recalled this thread:

Update: Our Optional gymnasts are in prep for Regions (championships start Friday of this week). My UB workouts the past 2 weeks have been 5 hit routines, 4 LB and 4 HB. Warm-ups/drills consist of kip repeats(sets of 6 (3LB & 3 HB)), kip casts (sets of 4), kip/clear/kip/clear/kip (or in-bar skill as required) repeats, sets of 5 giants w/competitive dismounts, front G repeats, release connections and kip 1/2, kip 1/2, kip(or 1/1 as needed) repeats. Rotation is 45 minutes and we have used every minute. (Note: Only L8's and 9's have qualified for Regions. )

Taper: This week, the last week before our Region Championship, the UB workouts have been light, 4 hit routines, 4 LB and 4 HB sets. Rotation time is 45 minutes and I use the time by making each girls perform pressure sets (with cheering and judges watching). We set-up chairs with stuffed animals(taken from pre-school set-ups), Dora and a Pig with name tags with judge names. The "judges" are to provide "pressure." I took pics to show our local judges they are "famous" in our gym during our prep for the meet.

Hope this adds to the thread and general info. Best to all, SBG -

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back