WAG optional bars skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mommyof1

Proud Parent
In L6, L7, and L8, what are the skills typically competed on bars? What are the most difficult skills regularly competed at each level? I know that giants are standard in L7 but that's about it.

L6 usually has kips, casts, clear hips, squat ons and a salto or underswing dismout
L7 adds giant and a salto dismount is now a requirement
L8 adds a pirouette or flight element, usually 1/2 pirouette on low bar or a straddle back

Level 7 has a free hip/stalder/toe hand circling element to handstand. All three skills are same value, chosen usually by what can be done cleanest by individual gymnast.

Level 8 has double back dismount in addition to 1/2 pirouette.

L7 routines very often have free hip and giant as circling skills. Not all L7 routines will have free hip to handstand. By L7, it's hard to get very far without a kip cast handstand.

Double back dismount not required at L8. Most routines will include the half piro. Very occasionally, a gymnast who's having trouble with the pirouette will do shoot half, straddle back, or kip cut catch as an alternative. Most gyms discourage this, since it's quite difficult to put together a L9 routine without a pirouetting skill.

L7 routines very often have free hip and giant as circling skills. Not all L7 routines will have free hip to handstand. By L7, it's hard to get very far without a kip cast handstand.

Double back dismount not required at L8. Most routines will include the half piro. Very occasionally, a gymnast who's having trouble with the pirouette will do shoot half, straddle back, or kip cut catch as an alternative. Most gyms discourage this, since it's quite difficult to put together a L9 routine without a pirouetting skill.
A board mount to the high bar and then at some point a bail to the low bar would avoid the need for a pirouette in L9/10 but in terms of L8, yes, I saw very few L8 routines without the pirouette over the last several years. I think it is just the easiest way to compete the routine for most girls. I saw a couple straddle backs and those scared me!

I had never seen a kip cut catch before and just YouTubed it. Very cool!

What is the difference between a shoot half and a bail?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back