Coaches Optional coach wage

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yes. A L8/9 coach at a small gym won't necessarily make as much as one at a larger gym... unless the small gym is trying to BECOME larger. They have to have to income to afford the pay for their coaches. Some gyms are willing to pay a salary AND offer benefits (401K, medical, dental)... others pay hourly wages and not much else. Gyms in big cities tend to pay more than gyms in smaller towns. Supply and demand also affects pay.

I live in a big city, but work at a small gym. At our gym, a 8/9 coach with a strong gym background would make $15-18/hour. To make more they would have to be a director of some type, with additional responsibilities. I checked with friends who work at bigger gyms, and surprisingly was told their gyms paid a similar amount. HTH.

I live in a big city, but work at a small gym. At our gym, a 8/9 coach with a strong gym background would make $15-18/hour. To make more they would have to be a director of some type, with additional responsibilities. I checked with friends who work at bigger gyms, and surprisingly was told their gyms paid a similar amount. HTH.

With or without benefits?

I work in a medium sized city (population: 40,000+) and work in a medium gym (450 rec kids, 50 Xcel & JO Kids). I make $18/hour coaching optionals, compulsories, and pre-team.

ETA: I'm in "charge" of a lot more than coaching including website maintenance, scheduling, parent emails, scheduling make-ups, leotard & warm-up sizing & ordering, and more :)

Last Edit...I have no benefits :)

I work in a medium sized city (population: 40,000+) and work in a medium gym (450 rec kids, 50 Xcel & JO Kids). I make $18/hour coaching optionals, compulsories, and pre-team.

ETA: I'm in "charge" of a lot more than coaching including website maintenance, scheduling, parent emails, scheduling make-ups, leotard & warm-up sizing & ordering, and more :)

Last Edit...I have no benefits :)

What percent of your paid hours are spent on "other" things (scheduling make-ups...etc)?

What percent of your paid hours are spent on "other" things (scheduling make-ups...etc)?

That's where things get a bit dicey ;) On paper I coach for 24 hours a week, however, that very rarely actually happens due to travel for competitions, holidays, snow days, etc. Then I spend approximately 5-10 hours a week on my "other duties." How much of those 5-10 hours are actually paid? Not very many...

That's where things get a bit dicey ;) On paper I coach for 24 hours a week, however, that very rarely actually happens due to travel for competitions, holidays, snow days, etc. Then I spend approximately 5-10 hours a week on my "other duties." How much of those 5-10 hours are actually paid? Not very many...

There are so many threads on ChalkBucket about wage...some with very good debates very recently.

What you speak of above is what everyone needs to understand. When coaches are trying to make the job a career..they face exactly what you are stating above. The 24 hours per week is actually less when averaged out over the whole year...the 5 - 10 hours adds more work...but not always paid.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back