Parents Optional Floor Music

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cher062

Well as many who post here know my DD moved to level 7 after the states in March. Her and her teammates are picking floor music as well as practicing the new skills for level 7.

DD has chosen Hedwig's Theme from Harry Potter and it sooooo fits her and she loves it. I can hardly wait for July when the choreographer comes in to do the floor routines to see what she gets for a routine.

Any way many of the other girls are still having a hard time deciding on music. Just wanted to get your thoughts on floor music you have heard for the optional levels and what types of music you have heard that does and just doesn't seem to work. :)

Our level 7 team ranges from age 9 - 13

Watch out for too much Disney music. Most of its been done to death---might work for one of the 9yos. Only rule in our gym is no techno. It is their opinion that judges don't look favorably on it---can be difficult to choreograph too.

Lots of kids pick music from Floor Express. I think they're up to 20 CDs and many gyms have the demo CDs so the girls can take them home to listen to. We're looking for new music for my gymmie---so hard to believe that her fx music is now 2 yrs old and time to retire. I'm going to ask a figure skating coach for some tips on music---they usually have loads of CDs. Right now, gymmie is leaning toward something Bondish---kind of up beat classical.

PLease no more pirates!!!

Funny you should say that. My DD's coach wanted "Jack Sparrow" for her floor music but let her pick between that and the harry potter one. I didn't like the pirates one just didn't suite her.

Watch out for too much Disney music. Most of its been done to death---might work for one of the 9yos. Only rule in our gym is no techno. It is their opinion that judges don't look favorably on it---can be difficult to choreograph too.

Lots of kids pick music from Floor Express. I think they're up to 20 CDs and many gyms have the demo CDs so the girls can take them home to listen to. We're looking for new music for my gymmie---so hard to believe that her fx music is now 2 yrs old and time to retire. I'm going to ask a figure skating coach for some tips on music---they usually have loads of CDs. Right now, gymmie is leaning toward something Bondish---kind of up beat classical.

our gym doesn't allow techno either. When we were looking I thought Disney and High School Musical wouldn't be a good choice.

And please---no more music from Stick It. Wow, has that been overused!!!!

I've heard some really neat music using themes from "classic" tv shows---stuff from the 60s and 70s. Last year we had a girl do a fx to Bewitched. The best seem to be those that are not just the sound track, but more professionally done.

DD starts optionals next season (MDL Level A) so I have already been to a couple floor music sites. So far, Floor Express seems to have the biggest variety that I have found. I found a couple songs so far that she likes (she is 10 and wants something upbeat and spunky-like her personality). She doesn't want to go the Disney route--she is at that tween age where she wants something a bit more grown up but still age appropriate and fun. It can be a difficult task picking music!!

DD starts optionals next season (MDL Level A) so I have already been to a couple floor music sites. So far, Floor Express seems to have the biggest variety that I have found. I found a couple songs so far that she likes (she is 10 and wants something upbeat and spunky-like her personality). She doesn't want to go the Disney route--she is at that tween age where she wants something a bit more grown up but still age appropriate and fun. It can be a difficult task picking music!!

That is the same issue our new level 7's are having most are at 10 0r 11 about to be 11 and 12. they still like the "young" music but we parents also know they will probably have this music until they are 14 or 15 so they don't want to be stuck with "young" music at that age.

I like Floor music express too because they do have the biggest selection but DD did look at some of the other sites out there and there were a few mixes she liked there too. In the end the gym told everyone they could only choose from Floor music express because if they order the music they get a deal when they order the music.

Now that my DD's music has been approved she is dying to get the routine done. Unfortunately the choreographer they use lives in Sweden!! And come over every July and Aug to visit family and do the Floor and Beam Routines for our gym. By Mother's day everyone will have their music approved, the gym will order the music and make a CD with everyone's music on it and a CD for each girl with just their music on it to give to the girl to bring to meets as a back up disk. Then the gym sends for each girl an evaluation sheet with the skills the girl can do or will be able to do by July along with a photo of each girl to the Choreographer by the end of May. They also send a DVD of each girl doing the Floor and Beam from the prior level state meet. So when She arrives she has the routines mostly done with just some minor changes needed.

Sounds like a lot of work but our gym is very competitive and they do go all out for the team. All I know is it can be expensive for us parents. I'm so glad we have 10 girls that moved to level 7 this year to share the costs. Last year there were only 2 girls that moved up and it was very expensive for those parents.

I've often wondered why the hardcore rule of "No Lyrics" in floor music. Has anyone ever challenged this rule? Not in competitions, but by petition to the USAG "home office" for example.

It really limits the music available to the kids. often resulting in over-used, and frankly boring musical scores. I would think that using music that the Gymnast likes (as opposed to the Judge) would provoke a more exciting, and energetic floor routine.

"But the judge may not like the music". So what! Are judges music critics also?

Aren't they supposed to be watching for the technical, and performance aspects -- and not deciding if the music itself is 'pleasing' to them personally?? How does that work on the score sheet. Judge doesnt care for broadway tunes... likes jazz better. Is that a deducation?

What if the judge doesn't like the color purple... will a purple leo result in a lower score?

I guess somethings about this sport I'll never understand. It may be better that way.

Last edited:
Interesting topic Cher!
My DD is trying to pick new floor music for next season too. She is having a hard time finding something she likes. She turns 11 in May and is worried that her current music may be too young for next season.
Currently she has Swedish Rhapsody from Floor Music Express and she loves it but has the new routine bug. Alot of the girls in her group are getting new music and we're using a new choreographer. She hopes to compete level 6 next year but we don't have compulsaries here.
She also wants something fun and upbeat and something original. I've been on the computer searching with her but nothing yet.
I tend to prefer the Broadway style so you can really play up your "character" or the classical light and airy stuff.
Good luck with the new routine! It's an exciting time of year preparing for the next season!

Thanks.

You said you don't have Compulsories?? If it's USA Gymnastics and level 6 or lower isn't it mandated by the national office to be compulsory? How are you a level 5 or 6 and have an optional floor routine?

:rotfl:Well the Judge who is in charge of the Regional Optional program was in last night to review the music the girls have chosen. Our gym has her in about once a month to view all the levels and give her opinion by judging the girls routines and giving them advice on how to improve their scores - the girls love when she comes and she comes often enough to really know the girls. She offers this to any gym that wants her to come in but only our gym and one other actually has her in.

Last night she was there to view our one level 8 girl (we only have one at that level) as she is going to Regionals this weekend. After that the judge sat down and listened to all the new girls music choices and talked to each gymnast and mom as she listened to see how the music was chosen. She is really big on the girls having a say in their music. She too believes like our gym that if the girl feels she had some input into the selection process she will give her best preformance.

She said my daughters music was absolutely PERFECT for her and said it sooo fits her personality - playful but dramatic at the same time!! She was glad to hear that I (the mom) really gave daughter the freedom to pick and choose music with some minimal guidance. Daughter was SOOO happy when the judge told her it was perfect for her. Whew that's a relief.

The poor girl who is having a hard time choosing music had finally chosen one and the Judge said she just can't see it for this girl - just doesn't fit her personality she said the same for the 2nd choice. the Coach said to both mom and girl that this judge really knows what she is talking about and they should consider looking for music from the areas suggested by the judge but if they really feel strongly about this music she can have it. So the girl is just at a point now that she is tired of listening to the music and told the Coach just pick out what you think is good. I can see her frustration as everything she has chosen has been rejected. Mom took home some of the CD's with the suggested songs by the Judge and said they would listen to them over the April Vacation.

Another girl thought she really had her music set and the judge said the music didn't match her personality either and it was too old for this girl. ( I have to agree - I thought the same thing way too dramatic for a peppy 9yo) The judge suggested "Bewitched" The mom and girl listened to it and LOVED IT. Definitely fits the girls personality. The mom didn't even consider looking at TV themes when they first looked. She had daughter looking at classical and dramatic pieces. ( I think it would have fit the mom if she was competing - LOL) So we ended up with a happy camper!

Everyone else that had their music choosen already got the OK from the Judge. there were only 3 girls that still didn't have a clue as to what they wanted so the Judge suggested several options for them to listen to. she will be back in May to listen to the music of the 3 girls. She also does the coreographing of the Beam routines for our gym and will have that ready for the girls at that time. My DD can hardly wait. She is just so excited to be finally at the optional levels.

Oh and we never have this judge - judging our team at any of our meets. She makes sure she doesn't judge any gyms she assists this way. :)

Wow you are so lucky to have that kind of help from the judges. We have a former judge help us this last year and it was nice.

My DD has had Pink Panther for 2 years and never really liked it not sure why she picked it. My cousin cut DD some original music for her floor routine and coach said "no". He is afraid judges will say hey there is that kid from the club we don't care for with the weird music. UGH

Our club owner doesn't have a good reputation with all the judges they find him unprofessional sometimes I guess.( i dont feel this way at all and have been aroung gymnastics for about 8 yrs) We have a huge number of judges in MN who also coach teams. It seems if you are not just like all the rest of the clubs in drive and philosphy. the community of gym clubs do not care for you.

Don't get me wrong coach does some things that bug me. However, over all he loves and cares for his kids as people as well as gymnasts and wants them to have a life out side of the club. I really appreciate this about our club owners. This however does not always fit with the other clubs or judges philosophy.

Sorry for the tangent :(

So we have been listening to music on floor express I think I have heard them all. LOL It is a hard process I think DD settled on Rocking Cowboy or Rag Mop both 50's music fun upbeat but not too young. We are waiting for the CD to listen to the whole song of rocking Cowboy. If anyone knows this song can you place where it comes from?? It seems so familiar to me.

DD will be a Level 8 USAG next year and will be 14yrs.

I love the Harry Potter music. One gal in our area uses that and I perk up everytime it starts! Great choice!
Has anyone heard the music "Devel Went Down to Georgia" in competition? Of course that is Dominique's music from the '96 Olympics. Our kids are too young to remember but mine has seen the routine on youtube and loves the music. I can't recall ever hearing that in competition. It's fast, but other than that, it's a great song. Any thoughts?

I love the Harry Potter music. One gal in our area uses that and I perk up everytime it starts! Great choice!
Has anyone heard the music "Devel Went Down to Georgia" in competition? Of course that is Dominique's music from the '96 Olympics. Our kids are too young to remember but mine has seen the routine on youtube and loves the music. I can't recall ever hearing that in competition. It's fast, but other than that, it's a great song. Any thoughts?

I have it if you want it. Pm me if you do.

It's just part of my collection. I think my girls are too young for it really. Most of the Elite level music is quite grown up, I guess that's because most Elits are too!

Glad you worked out how to PM, even if you don't use the music you have a new CB skill!

That was one of my dd choices on her short list. The coach didn't want to use it. She said that it is too recognized with Dominique by the judges and they sort of are expecting an outstanding gymnast if they use an olympic music. So she doesn't take the chance with the music

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back