Original Elements Not Yet In The Code Of Points

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

How many coaches out there have actually trained a gymnast to perform an original element that is not yet listed in the Code Of Points? Original elements, once performed in competition successfully, will be added to the Code Of Points. The process is quite simple. Once the gymnast can perform an original element, video tape her doing it. Send the video to the Regional Director and she will give it a value. At a competition, present the documentation of the valued new element to the Head Judge. Once the element is performed successfully in a competition, it will be added to the Code Of Points. Women's Artistic Gymnastics needs new elements and creativity. It will help our sport grow and become more exciting. I'd love to get some feedback on this topic.

To get a new element in the FIG Code of Points the skill must be performed successfully in a world championships or Olympic Games.

Laura's right; just doing it at any competition isn't enough.

I have been working myself on three skills not in the code (one of which I've competed though I fell on the landing, one of which is banned, and the third of which I haven't done outside of a pit yet), but I have never trained any of my students to do any such skills.

Does the same rule apply to the Junior Olympic Code Of Points? What about elements with an A or B value? Why would they have to be performed in a World Championships or Olympics to be added? What about a C value element that can be done in Level 9 competitions? I called USA Gymnastics and they told me to talk with a Regional Director, which I did. Was her advice really wrong? This is confusing.

You can submit a skill to get a provisional value to compete in regular meets. However, I'm almost positive that you have to compete it at JO Nationals or Easterns/Westerns to get it named after you in the JO code.

Last edited:
You can submit a skill to get a provisional value to compete in regular meets. However, I'm almost positive that you have to compete it at JO Nationals or Easterns/Westerns to get it named after you in the JO code.

I think, though I'm not positive, that you're right on the women's side; JO gymnasts can compete it at JO Nationals and get it added to the JO code with their name on it.

FIG and men's JO, however, are a different story. You can send in a video of a new skill to the men's technical director to get a provisional value put on it, but men's JO doesn't have it's own code; it uses FIG (with some rules exceptions) for levels 8-10.

As for A and B skills, I have no idea what the process is.

I sent an email today to Connie Maloney who is the USAG Women's JO Program Director asking her the exact procedure for getting all original elements valued and how they are added to the JO Code Of Points. When I receive her response, I will post it for all to read.

Thanks. I'll be interested to know the answer. I know that gymnasts can get skills named for them in the JO code, but I wasn't sure what the minimum rating is and whether you have to do it at Nationals.

There is a Form online. Go to USA Gymnastics Women's Program. Select Forms from the left sidebar. Go to Meet Forms and select Value Part Evaluation Form. This Form and a video clip/DVD needs to be sent to your Regional Technical Chairman and Regional JO Committee Chairman. They will give you a temporary evaluation to be taken to the meets throughout the season. If the athlete competes and performs the element successfully at JO Nationals, it will be added to the JO Code Of Points with the gymnast's name.

There's a lot of interest in seeing original elements performed in gymnastics. A new season of training is about to begin. Many people, gymnasts and fans alike, look forward to seeing new elements added to the JO Code Of Points. This keeps the sport interesting and growing. Congratulations to the coaches and gymnasts that will make this happen!

I heard somewhere, and cannot remember the source, that only new C or harder skills can be named after the gymnast.

Hi GikiGirl,
According to Connie Maloney, the USAG Women's JO Program Director, that is not the rule. I posted her personal reply to me in a previous post on this thread. Curiously, there are many elements named after gymnasts in the JO Code Of Points that are a B value. For an element to be original doesn't mean it has to be super difficult or dangerous. I believe she would have mentioned it if the rule had changed and the element had to be at least a C value. I do admit though that it would be tough to create an original element with only an A value.
I will contact Miss Maloney again and inquire about this specific question and post what her reply is to clear things up. Original elements can still be given a value and used in competition whether they get named after the gymnast or not. That's a good thing to know! :)

I received an answer from USA Gymnastics concerning this. The last time they answered this question they didn't give enough details.

"Elements performed at Nationals of C value or better are added to the Code with the gymnast's name. We have no plans at this time to add B elements."

Level 8 doesn't compete at Nationals but this doesn't mean a Level 8 can't perform new elements that are a B value. Levels 9, 10 & Elite qualify to add new elements (named after the gymnast) to the JO Code Of Points only if they are at least a C value and they successfully perform them at Nationals.

A nationally rated judge reviewed my book, Flip Outside The Box, for the Rutland Herald newspaper. The article is titled "Off the mats, on to the page" and it reads as follows:
Nobody is more qualified to evaluate such a book than a gymnastics judge. Castleton's Gail McGann is the judging director for Vermont and a nationally rated judge. She flies to the four corners of the country to be an official in college gymnastics meets. Her schedule the last two years has taken her to places like Stanford, Michigan, Georgia and Penn State.
"Her drawings and descriptions were very good," McGann said.
"There were some that were kind of wild. Some were kind of difficult for the high school gymnast. Others were very doable for the high school gymnast.
McGann feels there are routines in the book that would give accomplished gymnasts a definite edge.
"They were very different and very artistic. They could be real eye-openers for the elite athletes," McGann said.

There are a few elements in my book that will most likely receive a B value. However, the vast majority of elements, in my opinion will be given a C, D, or E value.
My ideas for these elements accumulated over a period of more than 20 years. I finally got around to drawing them and creating my book. I look forward with anticipation to seeing most of these elements added to the JO Code Of Points in the future. Anyone with any questions about Flip Outside The Box may write to me at : info@flipoutsidethebox.com

Flip Outside The Box :: Creative Women's Gymnastics Elements

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back