Osgood Schlatters disease

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnasticsfreak

i'm trying for National Novice and i have Osgoods.If i don't do something about it I might not be able to go Novice, and I really want to!
PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I would like to help you, but what is Osgood? Is it a life long condition, can it go away? How long have you trained with it? Have you talked to a doctor?

I was diagnosed with Osgood Slaughter's when I was 10 and the orthopedic doctor told me that just working through the pain would not make things any worse. He said naproxen (Aleve) before practice could help with the pain, but that was about all he could do for it. Icing after practice or during if it feels irritated can sometimes help and there are a few different braces on the market that say they work for Osgood's, but I've never personally tried any of them. Typically the pain will lessen when growth slows down. You could always see an orthopedic doctor and ask for his opinion. He might suggest a short break, a specific brace, icing technique, or brace for your particular situation.
Personally, I quit gymnastics nearly 7 years ago (not because of Osgood Slaughter) and still have the Osgood's lump on my knee and it can cause me some pain if I bump it on something or have to sit with my knee bent for too long, but nothing unbearable. Many gymnasts experience Osgood's and typically manage to work through it.

Thanks.I went to my doctor and she said practically the same thing.
I've tried everything but a brace (i ordered one online), but nothing has helped so far.

I have Osgoods. I wear a brace, and it does help apply pressure a little bit. But I usually am able to just work with it. With Osgoods, I don't think it is something that is going to get worse the more you train with it, so I just push through it.

Just do a quick search to find out what people here same about Osgood Schlatter (not Slaughter) and other growing pain. In fact, there was a very recent thread on this topic and knee pain in general. Also Google will return many more hits.

My gymmie is 8 and has something similar to OS called Sinding-Larsen-Johansson syndrome. NotAMom suggestion on looking at other threads & google is what I did as well take her to a sports medicine DR. and Physical therapist who helps with stretching *which is KEY to managing the pull on the tendon. DD also puts ice on her knee all the time both before and after practice along with streching. There is also the Cho pat tendon strap and a topical ointment you can get from the dr. for the pain and less pull on the tendon. Hope you can get it to the point you can continue to train :) Wish you the best!

A few of my DD's friends have had this and it put them out of commission for a season. They came to practice but what they were allowed and not allowed to do was very restrictive.

Osgood Schlatters disease is a very common cause of knee pain in children and young athletes usually between the ages of 10 and 15. It occurs due to a period of rapid growth, combined with a high level of sporting activity

The tendons around the Knee and through overuse can tug away at the bone causing inflammation. It is seen more often in children involved with running and jumping activities which put a much greater strain on the patella tendon. With repeated trauma new bone grows back during the healing which causes a bony lump which is often felt at the tibial tuberosity. It should clear up when they stop growing and the tendons become stronger, however, it can occasionally persist into adulthood.

There are a number of different supports and braces on the market that may help with Osgood Schlatters disease.
  • A simple neoprene support will provide compression and support to the knee in general and retain the bodies natural heat. A warm tendon will work much better than a cold one.
  • A patella tendon strap wraps around just below the knee, to put direct pressure on the patella tendon to help reduce the strain on the tibial tuberosity.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back