Parents Osteochondritis dissecans (knee)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

HucksBoy

Proud Parent
Looking for advice from more seasoned parents. My daughter competed level three last year and did very well. After the season we were presented with a plan from the gym to complete level 4 this fall, one level 5 meet in the spring and then train for level 7 (we don’t do 6).

Three weeks ago, while doing a front tuck my daughter hyperextended her knee. We iced it for the next couple of days and limited her gymnastics, by day 5 it wasn’t better, so we had an X-ray and MRI. She has an osteochondral lesion. No required surgery, nothing loose to reattach or stabilize, but she received crutches and was told absolutely no weight bearing and no gymnastics until we meet with the doctors again in 3 weeks. They won’t even give us a letter releasing her to be back to gym for any activities.

She’s disappointed of course. Three weeks seems like a long time to wait just to be told to wait longer. I’m disappointed that she can’t do anything (PT, etc) while we sit and wait for three weeks.

Questions: Has anyone delt with osteochondritis dissecans (knee) that didn’t require surgery? There are a lot of posts in the past about elbow, but I couldn’t find anything with knee.

I know every case is different, but we are of course starting to purchase Leos, warm-ups, signing up for meets, etc…should I consider not doing those things for now? The first meet is in August.

My DD had OCD in both knees. Generally younger kids heal better without surgery than older. My daughter was 13 when the first was found. They tried the conservative treatment for her for one lesion that sounds like your daughter's. Generally, we were told the conservative treatment would take 3 months or more to completely heal the lesion. They would monitor the lesion to see if there was healing throughout that time period but she wasn't allowed to bear any weight on the knee during the first 6 weeks. If there was healing seen, then she would gradually be allowed to begin weight bearing over the course of the next months. In my DD's case, the conservative treatment did not work.

Honestly, I wouldn't set my sights on an August meet. Chances are that even if it heals without surgery, she'll spend at least 8 weeks or more out of gym, she may be allowed ab and arm work but nothing lower body. PT doesn't help with this as the bone has to reknit and the cartilage refirm which means letting it rest.

Looking for advice from more seasoned parents. My daughter competed level three last year and did very well. After the season we were presented with a plan from the gym to complete level 4 this fall, one level 5 meet in the spring and then train for level 7 (we don’t do 6).

Three weeks ago, while doing a front tuck my daughter hyperextended her knee. We iced it for the next couple of days and limited her gymnastics, by day 5 it wasn’t better, so we had an X-ray and MRI. She has an osteochondral lesion. No required surgery, nothing loose to reattach or stabilize, but she received crutches and was told absolutely no weight bearing and no gymnastics until we meet with the doctors again in 3 weeks. They won’t even give us a letter releasing her to be back to gym for any activities.

She’s disappointed of course. Three weeks seems like a long time to wait just to be told to wait longer. I’m disappointed that she can’t do anything (PT, etc) while we sit and wait for three weeks.

Questions: Has anyone delt with osteochondritis dissecans (knee) that didn’t require surgery? There are a lot of posts in the past about elbow, but I couldn’t find anything with knee.

I know every case is different, but we are of course starting to purchase Leos, warm-ups, signing up for meets, etc…should I consider not doing those things for now? The first meet is in August.

I can almost promise you it will be a long recovery. I know you wanted to hear about knees but my daughter had this training L7 in her elbow. She was 10 and it was treated conservatively which took 8 months of absolutely doing nothing on her arm. She continued training with one arm, was released 9 days before first meet. She competed 3 events!

Patience is everything with this problem. My understanding is knees are similar in healing as elbows.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back