Parents Ouch!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

GymnasticsMom

DD1 had a NASTY beam fall tonight with her private(needs a bit of help on beam). I went to watch her, and she was doing a switch-leap like she usually does. When she was coming down, her first foot totally slipped\missed the beam and she straddled and slid off hitting her neck\head on the floor. To all those who are asking secretly- yes, I screamed. Loudly. She was knocked out for about 15 seconds. They carried her off, she was crying and trying to breathe-poor kid. She is icing her neck now while watching TV. What is even worse is that DD2 was on floor and she saw and got so scared she started to cry. DD 3 and 4 were sitting with me in the waiting area and my youngest didn't know what happened-she though her big sissy went to sleep;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my gosh - I hope she is ok - that is really scary. I saw my dd take a nasty fall last spring where I was convinced that I just witnessed my dd break her neck - she ended up with a pulled muscle. I had nightmares for at least a month afterwards though - very scary. Big hugs to both of you.

How very scary. I do hope she is alright. I am sure you felt a few years come off your life with that one. I always tease DD & DS that I have a gray hair for each one of those kind of things. DD passed out in my arms last winter and I swear my life shortened by at least 5 years with that one. I can only imangine how you felt. Hugs to you both

I hope shes ok that sound scary.. Straddling the beam is awful in itself but hitting her head and being out for even a few seconds is worth a trip to the dr even for piece of mind. Poor baby and poor mom!:eek:

Ok, I may have nightmares tonight. My gymmie has her beam skills test tomorrow and she does that switch leap! Poor kid, she must still be a little shaken up. Actually emergency protocol would have been to take her to the hospital(that the former ER nurse in me!). She'll probably be even more sore tomorrow and if she complains of a headache, I would have her checked.

Hope you're doing ok!!!

So sorry to hear about that nasty fall.I hope she will be ok soon.Also hope that her sisters get over the scare.Beam is hard for me to watch.It just does not leave much room for error.My daughter missed the beam one time doing her switch leap comming of the side and scrapping the intire outside of her thigh.Another time she missed her hands on the 2nd bhs and flipped of.Again hope your dd feels better soon and is able to forget about that nasty fall.

As a nurse this freaks me out:eek:.....watch her closely if she starts to act funny at all (headache, sleepy, nausea, ect.) take her to urgent care. Anytime a child loses conciousness in a fall there is a possiblity of a head bleed. I tended to a cheerleader last year that fell from the top of a stunt and ended up with a Grade II bleed, was in PICU for three days.
That is one of the drawbacks of being in my profession and taking care of kids, everytime one gets hurt I go to the worst case scenario.
I hope she feels better!

Please update us. I too thought anytime you lost consciousness that you needed to go to the ER.

Hope she is not too sore/scared.

Oh my - that would have scared the daylights out of me. Please keep us posted. I think once I was done screaming I would have been dialing 911 !!

Ok, I may have nightmares tonight. My gymmie has her beam skills test tomorrow and she does that switch leap! Poor kid, she must still be a little shaken up. Actually emergency protocol would have been to take her to the hospital(that the former ER nurse in me!). She'll probably be even more sore tomorrow and if she complains of a headache, I would have her checked.

Hope you're doing ok!!!

Sorry to scare you! Hope your DD does well on her test.:)

She is fine today, no complaint of a headache yet. She says she just feels very sore. She has gym today.. I do not know to keep her home or send her. I am thinking about keeping her home, but then she will cry because she hates to miss gym. Any ideas?!:confused:

I would keep her home just to get some of the soreness under control. I know the thinking about getting right back up on the beam/ bars whatever a child has had a bad fall on, but if she's not 100% its not worth the risk. Advil and ice for the neck and shoulders. Tell her to take it easy for 1 day and then if she's feeling better, she can go back in for her next practice.

I'm so glad to hear she's feeling better. It's probably a good idea to stay home and take it easy for a day, or until the soreness goess away. Ice and aspirin will help for sure.

DD did something weird last week. She was doing a flyaway, forgot to let go of the bar and somehow hit her shins on the bar and dropped, landing on the back/side of her head. She probably couldn't do that again even if she tried:D She was sore the next day and asked to stay home from gymnastics. She was feeling much better after the rest and was right back at it the following day.

I'm so glad to hear she's feeling better. It's probably a good idea to stay home and take it easy for a day, or until the soreness goess away. Ice and aspirin will help for sure.

DD did something weird last week. She was doing a flyaway, forgot to let go of the bar and somehow hit her shins on the bar and dropped, landing on the back/side of her head. She probably couldn't do that again even if she tried:D She was sore the next day and asked to stay home from gymnastics. She was feeling much better after the rest and was right back at it the following day.

Aw, at least she is doing better and back in the gym. I don't think she is going to do the switch leap on high beam again. She practiced a couple times on our home beam- did them perfectly! Let's see what happens on Monday...:confused::confused:

Oy!! Scary! If the soreness continues I would consider having her see a chiropractor (if you like them) DD did it last yr and the jarring her body took really knocked her out of alignment and she was having headaches and all sorts of aches which got better after she saw the chiropractor. Just a thought anyway. Hopefully she bounces back quickly. :hug:

My daughter fell at practice Thursday working her double back fulls on the trampoline. She somehow came down wrong and hit the back of her neck too. I'm glad I wasn't there to see it. She couldn't move her neck or head on Friday so we made a visit to the chiropractor. She was all out of whack and was freaked by all the noises her body made when she was cracked back into place. She feels a lot better now.

Oh how scary. I don't think I will be able to stand DD getting past level 6. I am okay with what they do up to that level. Luckily I don't think she is in it for the long haul/optionals, so I should be okay. She is bound and determined to get her standing back tuck on the floor and almost has it and I can't watch.

I hope she gets all better really soon and isn't too freaked out. Healing vibes to her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back