Parents Our season is finally over!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmiemom

Proud Parent
It's over! Yay! We had State this weekend. DD (L3) did well placing 4th AA. 6th on VT, 4th on bars, 4th on beam and 5th on floor. Floor is usually her highest scoring event but it was a little rough this weekend because of how much her heels have been bugging her. :( To top it off it was their first event, and sometimes she has a hard time shaking off a low score and just moving on. However her bars was the best routine she has done all year, probably because that is where she has spent the majority of her time since her feet started hurting!

She was a little dissapointed that she only got ribbons and missed a bronze medal by such a little amount in 2 events and in AA but was proud to put up her best AA score all year long.

I am SO glad the season is over! She is taking this week off from gym to give her feet a break and we see a podiatrist specializing in athletes on Thursday. The x braces that I ordered her finally came too. So fingers crossed those will be helpful!

ok...Let me get this straight...You dont' mention her age, but you do mention foot pain.>>and you are taking her to a DR for it. RIGHT? But, by no means stop subjecting her to abusing her body in gymnastics...That couldnt' possibly be the problem, RIGHT? Oh but she is gonna make it to the OLYMPICS? RIght? hmmmmmmm
Use some common sense

Wait Rumjello, let me get this straight. You were all offended when you interpreted people being rude on your previous post and now you are going to be incredibly snide and rude toward this other mom (I.e use common sense)??? Seriously? If you had looked at this mom's history you would know she has been concerned with heal pain and sought out advice which led her to make the Dr appointment. Most competitive gymnasts deal with ongoing aches and pains and still push through it. Heal pain is very common in gymnastics.

Maybe you should show some of the compassion you were so desperately seeking not too long ago. Or, maybe you are trolling and one of the mods should take a look at all of your harassing posts.

ok...Let me get this straight...You dont' mention her age, but you do mention foot pain.>>and you are taking her to a DR for it. RIGHT? But, by no means stop subjecting her to abusing her body in gymnastics...That couldnt' possibly be the problem, RIGHT? Oh but she is gonna make it to the OLYMPICS? RIght? hmmmmmmm
Use some common sense

Settle down! She has some heel pain. She is not competing on a broken foot! She was cleared by her pediatrician who thinks she has severs. The appointment with the podiatrist has been on the books for a while. I made a post about her feet a while back. That was the only reason I mentioned the foot pain. If you had read the whole post you would see where i said she had been spending the majority of her time on bars. her coach has been watching the pain closely. NEVER would I risk her health for a meet!

I was simply posting about her state meet and how glad I was the season was over. It was a long weekend as it was our gym who hosted state. We have been working on it for months and I am just so glad it's over and life can go back to crazy normal instead of crazy, crazy, crazy!!!

Oh and since you need every single detail even though you jump to your own conclusions without them, she turned 8 last week.

So glad that your season is over. My dd is 11 and has suffered on and off for two years with severs. One physical therapist suggested a tennis ball(roll the foot on whenever she's watching tv) and the Dr. gave us lots of ankle/foot conditioning excercises, plus gel inserts for the shoes and ankle supports. Gotta love them bars!!!! Tell her that we all wish her the best, and that my dd hopes to see her at the 2024 Olympics. ;)

I too am looking forward to the end of the season. Only state to go. I am glad she made it through. My dd has heel pain on and off and since we got her x braces she hasn't complained at all. Although she leaves them everywhere, drives me crazy.

I also massage her calves at least a couple times a week, more when they are bothering her. Helps a ton.

Check out the articles at gymnastcare.com. There are a couple good ones on severs and the calf connection. Josh is awesome.

DD used to deal with Severs too. She is 13 now and it hasn't reared its ugly head in over a year... nearly 2! So it really is something they grow out of. Congrats to you and DD for finishing the season! We're done too. First time EVER we've been done so early in the season.

Congrats to your DD and to you on being DONE (we have optional girls state this week and then have a month until boys regionals...then I get to be done too!) for the year.

Severs is a common pediatric issue in athletes and non-athletes alike. Standard orthopedic and pediatric treatment plan is to manage the pain, but not limit activities other than as needed to manage the pain - it is not a condition that will be made worse by competing on (as I am sure your doctor told you ) but will be more comfortable with the steps you are taking. There are "red flag" conditions in gym - pain with BWO is a biggy we all now know - but Severs (once diagnosed) isn't one....

Just my unsolicited medical advice to calm the noisy crowd of naysayers...

I think there was only one naysayer, and she is no longer noisy. At least not on this site. ;)

Yes, DD's dr. said that same thing. She wasn't making anything worse by practicing/competing on her heel(s) when it/they hurt.

What does everyone think of the Cheetah heel cups for managing severs? My DD used one for awhile when she started developing heel pain and it seemed to help, and I know other girls in the gym use them from time to time. But I haven't seen anyone here mention them yet.

My dd wore cheetahs and gel inserts for about 6 weeks. I even made her wear them to school in her shoes. Sometimes to bed too. The pain this time was worst, but the pain last time lasted longer(3-4 months). So, I think the combination therapy physical and tennis ball, massage, hot and cold compresses, cheetah, gel inserts, trampoline(reduced pressure on heels and easier therapy on the calves) and reduced practice helped a lot.

Just got done at the doctor. Confirmed Severs. No tumbling at all for 2 weeks as he wasn't sure that there isn't a very small fracture in one of the growth plates. Gel inserts for her shoes. Cheetah cups for practice. But no tumbling at all for 2 weeks. Cutting training hours down to 6 instead of 12 for a few weeks as well. Lots of stretches to do during her free time :) DD was a hot mess. I'm so thankful that the doctor we went to has daughters who were heavily involved in gymnastics. He really spent a lot of time explaining to DD the reasons he was making her cut back for a few weeks.

I'm sorry! I have been there with DD and two years of Osgood Schlatters. My son had some heal pain at the end of soccer season. He started using the cheetah cups and it seems to helped a good deal. He still says he feels a little pain, but I always know when the kids are on the mend...they stop complaining! And, when I ask how it feels they say "oh, that, yeah, I think I still feel it."

Good luck! A little rest is a good thing. :)

The Cheetahs were close to a miracle cure for my DD. She uses the cup on her heel for every practice now and has not had any trouble.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back