Coaches Over-training Young Gymnasts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Susan

Coach
I'd like to start a discussion on how to keep the young talented kids (ie: the ones who start piling on the training hours young) from getting overuse injuries. I have a small group of them now and I'm toying with holding them back to Level 5 (next year's Level 4) even though they have most of their Level 6 skills right now (we are not competing compulsories this spring, so they are out of season). This is because they all have been nursing a chronically sore ankle, knee or wrist for a few weeks -- which started almost as soon as they took on "Training 6 hours" in January. My plan from here out is to only tumble them on 8 inch mats over the spring floor to reduce the impact on their joints when they are doing flight tumbling... do more tumble trak & mini tramp... spend more of practice at the ballet barre... spend proportionately more time on bars since they are fine there... spend more time on core work in addition to the conditioning program we use. I was going to do this for 6 weeks and then re-evaluate where we are at. These kids are ages 7-8, working Level 6 and optional skills and are coming in 18 hours/week, which is pretty normal for this level for the gyms in my area. If changing the way we workout doesn't take care of it, I will cut practice hours. What are the rest of you doing to prevent over-training and/or to deal with it when you recognize it?

It doesn't sound like they're putting in too much time if they've worked up to it , except they are a little young to spend a ton of time doing impact gymnastics loaded with tumbling and vault.

You've offered up a reasonable remedy by deciding to modify their work-outs while pursuing other worthwhile training, and six weeks is close to the amount of time they'll need for healing......a few more would be ideal (IMHO).

I'm thinking it's a bad idea to tumble them on 8 inchers, as each new activity brings a new "use set" of problems to a child's body and it'll mess with their timing. Tumbling can always get better by introducing them to the exact posture and positions for handstands, cartwheels, round-offs, and standing back handsprings. Heck, even forward and backward rolls done to perfection provide value to a child's training...........I once watched on of worlds best gymnasts of the 90's work on "candlesticks" for over 20 minutes. If she and her coach could find value in that basic exercise, I'm sure it's there for all of us.

Whoops! just realized I was starting to rant......I was about to add a bit about position and posture.

Watch some slow motion and freeze frame tumbling, and look for positions that look uncomfortable to be in without respect to being right side up .r upside down.Like watch a round-off from end-on and from the side, then imagine standing upright and holding yourself in the worst of those positions for 1 minute.....then imagine holding a 25 lb weight in your hands in that position. I'd bed you anything you'll realize what a bad idea it is to allow your head to stick out, twist, and reach chin first around your lead arm. Now ask yourself if there's a position that's more comfortable that can be used at that moment of the round-off.

So maybe go back to some of their basic movements, and teach them for a second time in a low impact setting......because they just weren't as capable when they first learned them.

With their age and them not preparing to compete the spring season, I think I would take a step back like you suggested and spend the next few weeks working on conditioning, dance, and basics. You can spice it up by adding in some more "fun" drills or progressions for skills that aren't too physically demanding or creating some kind of progress chart so they can keep track of the improvements they are making even though they aren't necessarily learning "new" skills. Missing out on a few weeks of skill development at this age is not going to set them back in the long run, especially if they are improving the foundation skills and shapes.

I think you will get the same advice from everyone here, which is basically what you are doing.. Do high volume, of low impact and low risk reps on forgiving surfaces like tumble track, rod floor, even if tumbling on floor regularly you can put down panel mats onto of floor, just for extra cushioning (this will not mess their timing much, and will allow for more reps)..

With back bending stuff like walkover, i would focus mostly on elevated bridges (shoulder opening) , hip mobility, and leg strength (active holding of leg holds front, side, back, around).. Condition the trunk front, sides, back, twisting (core, regularly, on days the kids that non complainers complain, rest them).. SHAPES SHAPES SHAPES!, conditioning the shapes and the movements these shapes pass through.. The skills for that level will quickly come with the strength.

Spend time on strap bar.. LOTS OF giants, with weight belts, make them feel the bounce of the bar.. (ankle weights help here for the light weights especially, do front and back giants... assuming their have been preped and understand concepts).

If something is done poorly more than 3 times, go back to drills, or last progression done consistently well. Do not watch them get beaten up, and then wonder why they are sore haha.. Happens WAY to often if you ask me in the gym. Half them time I am battling them from going in for another round, but it worth it)..

Beam.. BASICSS!! jumping, pumching. landings!, how to land on beam and take off on beam without killing the heels or knees.
Work FAST aggressive cartwheels.. DO NOT accept slow stuff.. if slow go to low beam and be fast.. I would try to avoid to much matting under high beams.. They should be confident before attempting on high beam.. Meaning you can have mats to start off with, but quickly start taking them away... If you see hesistation.. like Tammy Biggs says.. back down to lower beams.. Break the fear with success...

LOTS!!!! of tramp.. by lots I mean repeatedly.. work back and front drops.. progress to cody's if you can teach..This will be invaluable when it comes times to flipping tsuks and Yurchenkos

We go about 90% on soft surfaces...trampolines...etc with those ages.

Remove all impact from strength/conditioning for these ages. They do enough impact in the 10% of the time they train "live".

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back