Overrotating on double backs?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

henrik541

Gymnast
HI!
Before you start asking, this thread shows a video about acro, which is like the definition of gymnastics in my country, but applies to every gymnastics discipline that uses double backs.

Double back tucks are very common in acro, artistic, tumbling and trampoline, and I've seen a lot of tops doing them and landing like this:

Distrital 2008 - Par Misto Sénior GDPC - YouTube (around 1:36)

As you see, she overrotates, which makes her legs try to go past her base's legs, which would cause her to fall if he didn't catch her. If you stop at 1:40, she is almost under her base. This is not supposed to happen.

Does this happen a lot in WAG or MAG? How can you fix it or prevent it?

It's all about aerial awareness. It is absolutely crucial for gymnasts to learn to use visual cues to judge height and rotation in this skill.

And this is very difficult, considering the speed of rotation generally seen in double backs.

actually, the guy's lift was a bit behind the girl's push. caused her to pitch just a bit. this would be a timing issue between these partners. and it was a beautiful routine done by 2 young kids. wow.:)

She did a couple other doubles that were fine, so it seems to be a not too egregious timing issue on that one toss. It does happen in tumbling and presuming the feet hit first you roll (not terribly unusual and generally okay, obviously depends on speed/surface/how safely the gymnast rolls). The real danger is if the feet don't hit (i.e. McKayla Maroney at Visas).

It's all about aerial awareness. It is absolutely crucial for gymnasts to learn to use visual cues to judge height and rotation in this skill.
And this is very difficult, considering the speed of rotation generally seen in double backs.

Thanks for replying! I thought it could be an issue in coaching.

actually, the guy's lift was a bit behind the girl's push. caused her to pitch just a bit. this would be a timing issue between these partners. and it was a beautiful routine done by 2 young kids. wow.:)

Thanks. It's not me, but I'm glad you liked it.

She did a couple other doubles that were fine, so it seems to be a not too egregious timing issue on that one toss. It does happen in tumbling and presuming the feet hit first you roll (not terribly unusual and generally okay, obviously depends on speed/surface/how safely the gymnast rolls). The real danger is if the feet don't hit (i.e. McKayla Maroney at Visas).

Yeah, I know it's generally not that dangerous, it just seems to happen a lot, unfortunately... :)

Last edited:
I enjoyed this video - can anyone tell me what their music is? I think someone at our gym uses it too...

I enjoyed this video - can anyone tell me what their music is? I think someone at our gym uses it too...

It's not me, but thanks, it's nice to see that Acro is actually enjoyed. Sorry, I don't know the name of the song and that pair is not together anymore, so it's hard to find it in comments...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back