WAG Overtime Deduction and Other Beam Related Questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

beachgirl

Proud Parent
Judge
What is the deduction for going overtime on the beam in L3? When does the time start and when does it end? My daughter seems to take a lot of time after saluting to start to actually get on the beam. Also, once she tripped while turning around after she saluted the judge before even touching the beam, does that count as a deduction? One last thing, when you see the judges writing are they only writing deductions or other things too? Thanks :)

I am guessing this goes for all levels but not 100% sure. For old level 5 the OT deduction in my state was .1 but there can be confusion on the scorecard. From what I have seen the two judges write their scores and the write the average as the final score - is there is an OT deduction they might just write the final score after the OT deduction of one-tenth. I have seen coaches and athletes confused thinking the judges made a mathematical error because they did not indicate OT deduction.

I believe time starts when the athlete places a hand (or other body part) on the beam, not after the salute.

Having volunteered the big meet our gym hosts, I have mostly seen judges write a shorthand code for the deductions and actually have cheat sheets of these shorthands printed out as reference at the table. The use a notebook to write the shorthand codes, but no one sees or uses that beside the judges. They write only their final scores on the scorecards.

Hope that helps!

Timing starts once the athlete touches the beam, not the salute itself and OT is 0.1 for all levels.

Related question. At a meet this weekend, in the middle of her beam routine DD forgot what she was supposed to do next, so she stopped for about 3 seconds, before she remembered and continued on. How much of a deduction is that? Her score was pretty low. I wonder if the pause caused a big deduction, or there were some other mistakes that I did not catch.

The judges usually write down everything the child does during the routine to includes skills and deductions. The OT deduction is 0.1 and is taken of of the final score. The time begins when the gymnast touches the beam and ends when the gymnast returns to the landing mat. Hope this is helpful.

IreneKa: unfortunately this deduction can vary. The gymnast can be deducted for rhythm and dynamics, which has to do with the flow of the routine. Plus of she goes overtime, she would get the deduction there. And if the coach had to make any communication (whether verbal or nonverbal) the judges can deduct again for that. It can vary depending on the judges opinion, as well as other factors. I hope this heloed

Kanoally.marie - that is great information. I really think that this is what happened to my DD at her state meet. She had placed on beam at every.single meet this season; but then had her by far worst score of the season on beam for states. It wasn't a bad routine - she only had one wabble and then went over. But she went really, really slow. Like she wasn't just barely over time, the double bell went when she was only about half way done. Several meets this year she had gone over; but it had always been when she was almost done. For state, I guess she was trying to be extra careful; but it ended up being just way too slow.

Just to clarify, for compulsory girls, time starts when their feet leave the floor and ends when their feet touch the floor. If they put their hand on the beam for a second or two before starting their mount, time should not start yet.

Just to clarify, for compulsory girls, time starts when their feet leave the floor and ends when their feet touch the floor. If they put their hand on the beam for a second or two before starting their mount, time should not start yet.

I think the timing starts when they touch the beam for FIG but not for JO.

I think the timing starts when they touch the beam for FIG but not for JO.

I think you are right. Admittedly, I am much more familiar with JO. As a judge I constantly here coaches scolding their gymnasts for touching the beam before starting their mount, and all I want to say is, "It's okay! I'm not starting the time until their feet leave the ground."

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back