DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
When training a giant on p-bars, what are the important points to emphasize? Am I correct in assuming the tap is essentially the same as the tap for a high bar giant (ie hollow, arch, hollow)?

Right now I have several of my boys training the flyaway in between the bars; what should I emphasize on this skill? To what extent should the shoulders close on the release? The hips?

Also, are there any effective drills to counter the tendency to bend the knees too early in the layaway?

EDIT: One more thing: any tricks to help the boys become more confident in their grip as they come through the bottom? Most of them are afraid to do the layaway as high as I'd like because of the fear that they'll slip off in the bottom.

Its a swing, just like anything else. Practice the swing for elevation, and that fear will subside. They could even practice going bail to yam to bail for work outs. You can also stand above them and hold their wrists while they swing, like giants on highbar, giving you a free hand to help life their legs/hips.

The leg bend will come with comfort and repetition. Right now they are worried about their hands, so their legs are off in space. Just build in timing drills to your swing workouts.

Hope that helps. I'm sure others will have suggestions too.

Ryan

Not sure what you mean by ten characters...

I'm sure you know what a bail is. A yam is a back uprise from long swing ending in front swing.

Hope that clarifies.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back